CPU Cooling issues

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

CPU Cooling issues

Postby cangove » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:01 pm

So I finally built my own PC (thanks to all on this forum/site that helped during the process). First sys specs:

Giga-Byte 7VRXP Mobo
AMD 2000+ CPU
512 MB DDR Mem
PNY Verto GeFOrce 3 Vid
Plextor 24x10x40 CDRW

I was running with a Speeze 5T208B1H3T SuperRock Heatsink/FAN with the supplied thermal greese on the heatsink (white goop). This heatsink is rated at 26.30 CFM at 4,200 RPM and 0,49 °C/W. I found during peak game playing I was running at ~49 C CPU and ~41 C resting (based on Motherboard Monitor).

Now I have replaced this with a Thermaltake Volcano 7 Heatsink/fan with Artic Silver 3 thermal greese applied as instructed on thier website. This heatsink has a rating of 53 CFM at 5000rpm and 0.57 °C/W. This plus some good reviews led to my purchase. However, now while only cruising the Internet (absolutely nothing else but Motherboard Monitor running) I have a CPU temp of 50 C. I haven't attempted to run games yet as this seems to be running very hot.... did I get taken? Did I install wrong? Will running at 50 C resting cause me problems? Should I reinstall the Speeze?

Thanks in advance for the help.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dysangel » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:41 pm

Most definitely retry it. I have the same setup and had the same prob, but after the third try, I'm running @42c idle and 53c all-out
dysangel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:13 am

Thanks for the advice. After the third try I am getting some better temps. My CPU at idle is running at 48 C and after about an hour of Morrowind (assuming it doesn't crash on me) I am getting about 53 C. My case routinly runs 10C below my CPU. The odd thing is my idel temp went up but my max went down.... unexpected.

I have a single 80 mm fan in the from of my case and a 92mm Antec SmartFan in the rear (top). I have room for another 80 mm up front, think that would help the temps?
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks