my first lian li mod fan controler and larger ps adaptation.

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

my first lian li mod fan controler and larger ps adaptation.

Postby Tramontane » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:29 pm

the whole reason for this mod is pure drive numbers. I know that i can achieve this probably in a better way like more money bigger drives or a rack mount, but i have existing drives from another biild that need adding and ive already invested money that i cannot get back.

ok i have already done the fan controller here are some picture of the fan controller. i had to connect these to the sli twelve volt system
which worked good since i had no need for the sli which i made to fit into the liberty enermax ports for such. had to make an adaptor to fit the new ps. ordered six pin molex minifit connectors from Action Electronics. i got the pots and knobs for them from the local radio shack.

here is what i have done to help with cooling the drives.

soon as i can i will post how i have solved the problem of the long ps

pc power and cooling 850

ran out of aluminum extruded angle iron :lol:

i will try to make some pictures of the adaptors and such and the inside of the case.
Last edited by Tramontane on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby eatshawn » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:07 am

i dig this.
eatshawn
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tramontane » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:12 pm

ok here is the work in progress and how i got the huge ps to fit with out sacrificing drive space

these are the fan headers and the adaptor i made to fit the sli power plugs that supply the fans.

Here the frame to extend the mounting plate for the power supply. this frame is fabricated from extruded aluminium angle stock.

hopefully i will be able to get some .050 aluminium cut to order to cover the frame. the material is blue from the layout fluid i used to make clear the scribe marks for drilling and cutting. i used a drill press, reciprocating saw, miter saw box and sander disk to square up the cuts and make the pieces exactly the right length.

here are the back of the drives. the four drives in the drive cage above the ps are from another computer which were the reason for the new ps and this mod. they were old 250 gig patas.

as you can see 20 drives esp when most are pata drives take alot of wires and here there are still no power wires hooked up yet. i did do some cable management before i closed the case.

here two fans cool separate areas of the case one is an intake to supply the cpu fan with fresh air the smaller one the larger 120 is to expel the hot air from the four 250 gig drives which with out get rather toasty with out both fans all the drives seem to be between 30 and 35 deg in each zone. the temps are monitored by the antec drive enclosures you may have noticed each of which have two probes one for the drive installed in it and one for elsewhere in the case.
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tramontane » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:27 pm

update

i should have metal on its way in a few days to enclose the case extension
any suggestions on how to coat the metal would be appreciated
if none are made i may just spray paint the metal
i don't think i can afford to have a local shop anodize the aluminium
i went with .050 aluminium
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tramontane » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:48 am

no comments? :(

:mb_feedback::
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:50 am

Wow thats a ton of hard drives. do you think it will be cooled enough.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby Tramontane » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:40 pm

they are all running around 30-35 celcius surface temp 86-95 f
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby DAVE1 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm

Holy crap... :o
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ryn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:12 am

Dude, talk about hdd's I guess you have them all lol! I didn't know that the PC P&C 1KW won't fit in the V2000. I have a V2000 as well. Nice mod, hope you get a good airflow with that much hdd's. :wink:
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby eatshawn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:04 pm

sorry, hoss; i've got no suggestions. but 20 hard drives?! that's what the fug i'm talkin' about!
eatshawn
Initiate
Initiate

Return to System Modification