TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:49 pm

DAVE185 wrote:Weird, now they are working, didn't even have to load or anything. :)

Ok good. Maybe it was just a bad load or something.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Oops.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:02 pm

Hmmm,... I deleted this post. Thought maybe the admins wouldnt like it.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Looks good, can't wait for it to get more action. I think I'll register now :D .
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:02 pm

UPDATE! LOL! OK. Now I'm back! Ho my god. Yea. Holidays suck! I was so damn busy! Now that everything is settled down now, I'll be posting pretty much everyday. Anyways! Guess what? 2 new reservoirs! OH YEA! Ok,... here's the deal. ACRyan wanted two reservoirs right away so I skipped the strobe reservoir and blackout and jumped right on these things. Now,... they are variations of xPO and sPL. They are cool though. The variation of sPL or sPT567dr is what it's called is 4" just like the sPL reservoir. The xPRZ5331r(xPO variation) is 7". Thats 1" larger. You see, these are going to be the standard sizes for my cylindrical reservoirs. I upped from 6" to 7" because I'm thinking ahead. Later on down the road, I will need that extra inch for more complicated reservoirs and trust me,... they are complicated;) Anyways,... I have a new style of shields I will be using for the my cylindrical reservoirs too. Not goignt o get into thqat right now,... I will wait until I make the first round for these two reservoirs I'm about to post now. What else?!?! Oh,... so yea, right after I'm done with these reservoirs, I'll be goign to bqack to work on blackout and I'm going to finish the strobe reservoir. So yea. I have to a lot of explaing to do so lets get started,...

Jan-01-2007 - xPRZ5331r & sPT567dr

Ok,... say hello to eCH745dr. I was going to make this for ACRYAN but I decided not to because I need to get them two reservoirs fast and making this reservoir won't be fast because there are several problems that I need to workout. I don't have time for that right now. After I make the two reservoirs I am king for them and after I finish the strobe and do some work on blackout,... I will then get back to it. What it is, its a dual reservoir like sPL except instead of only having 2 chambers, this one has eight. As you can see in the pic,... Each reservoir uses EVERY OTHER chamber to give you a straightened out candy cane look. The problem I would have if I made it is that teh colors would mix. It wouldn't be blue green blue green etc,... it would be sea green, sea green, sea green etc. So What I will most likely do is use the tinted acrylic as the internal dividers. That would cut down the colors from visually mixing, not all but by a lot. Now the problem,... lighting it up. To really light it up from the inside I would need an LED in each chamber. The tinted acyrlic cuts out a lot of the UV light. BUT! I also learned that UV water doesnt light up the same way UV acrylic does. UV acrylic lights up best with the UV light right on it. Uv water lights up best with the UV light at a distance. So lightng up this reservoir might not be a problem after all. There's no UV acrylic SFX on teh insdie so there really no need for the LEDS to be right up in there. You know? Anyways!

Here's a quick sketch of xPRZ5331r. Basically, instead of a coil, there will be rings. For those of you who know whats going to happen once those rings are spinning or what the effect is,... don't ruin it for others. Let them see for themselves once this thing is done. Notice the bottom of the reservoir. It's different from the xPO. This bottom is more simpler to make. Looks better and make mroe sence. I cut one of the reservoir ends at 10 degrees and then glue a 1/4" piece to it. I dont have to drill the barb holes at an angle anymore. The only thing I havre to drill at an angel it the pilot hole for the center shaft. Easy.

Here's an example of the colors mixing. It's an sPL. Obviously. You see green on one side and blue on the other.
Image Image Image

Now I believe we're looking at teh green THROUGH the blue. So the blue side is facing us.

This is blue THROUGH the green, so green is facing us. You see the difference? I hope not because there's hardly a difference. This is the problem. Pretty sure tinted acrylic would take care of this.

Here I am recyling some old reject sPL's to make my sPT's. these sPL's crazed,... all 32 of them:( Yup. But I figured out why all my S@#$ was crazing! OH! Did I even tell you guyz? Damn,... the reason I have been having trouble with crazing is because of my table sander! Yes, my table sander. What was happening was that the sander was heating up the acrylic to much and to fast. Everything I brought to the sander crazed. If I used an alternative way,... it would craze. I ran so many tests. Everything pointed to the damn sander. The problem is that it spins to fast. If it would slower, it would work just fine. I haven't use it since. I need a sander like it but with gears so I can slow it down. I'll have to look into that. This is why I got the mitre saw. Anyways,... I'm cutting off the ends in this pic.

Ends cut off.

I'm cutting two, damn,... I forgot how wide they are. LOL. I think 7/8"? I'm tired. I cut two 7/8" pieces from the center of each reservoir. This area of the affected reservoirs is unharmed. Alteast I hope. I cut up a few before for testing and they didnt craze so I'm assuming they are all fine. What a pain to cut these. I was afraid I was going to cut my fingers off they were so close to the blade. Geeez.

Made a little stop block to prevent the blade from cutting completely through the wooden platform you saw in the last pic.

LOOK! See! See how close my fingers are! Do not try this at home! I am not a proffessional,... I'm just stupid. Don't be stupid like me. LOL.

A lot of the parts for each reservoir made. Notice the sPT's over to the right. There's 4 body pieces for each. I'm going to rotate each piece by 90 degrees. Will look cool when done. There a disc inbetween each piece channeling the water into the right chamber. So you will see blue and green on teh bottom, then right above that you will see the sea green from teh colors mixing, blue and green again,... and so on. Simple.

Here's some stuff marked and ready to be drilled.

Everything is drilled and now I'm tapping. Did I tell you I tap with an air rachet now? I think I told you guyz that already. Anyways,... so easy now. Notice the Delrin donut on the tap. A quicks means of knowing when to STOP!

Here we are again,... drilled and tapped.

Here is how I was goign to attach the middle shaft for the xPRZ but I changed my mind on this. I forgot to take a pic of how I am doing it now. I forgot to take a lot of pics. I got use to working without my camera. I have to break that habit:(
Image Image

I'm cutting the strips for the rings that will go inside of xPRZ. I cant wait to get a table saw. That would be a big help. Oh,... I was actually taking a pic of the UV mess. It's looks a lot cooler in person.
Image Image

A UV hair wad of acrylic. Cool.

Ok,... here I'm cutting my 1/4" strips for the rings.

There's my UV hair wad,..... I coughed up. I have to start wearing a mask.

Thats it for now. I am hoping to have these things assembled tomorrow so I can start the shields for them the next day. So I'll be posting another update tomorrow, and then the next day and the next day,.... OH, I forgot to mention. I throwing a little contest. The prise,... xPO352r. This is #1 of 32 made. #2 went to ACRYAN and the other 30 went to germany. I'm going to post details for the contest a bit later. I'm tired as hell. Night! Peace.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:18 pm

I had a bad day at the studio. I really didnt get anything done. Let me explain,...

Jan-02-2007 (xPRZ5331r & sPT567dr)

Strips of UV in the mitre saw. I'm cutting them down to size. Look how even. So nice. With the mitre saw you have to be careful because it tends to rip around the edges of the acrylic. Never cut right to the target size. Always leave some before you hit your target size. You want to shave your way to your target to prevent pit marks around the edges.
Image Image

Sanding using the drill press. The press is running at 700rpm. Thats safe speed for sanding acrylic. You can tell because a fine powder can be found,.... everywhere! LOL.

Fixing my damn heat gun. The little thingy broke. So I screwed it back on and superglued it. Yup. $%^!@# broke again shortly after I started using it so I have to get another.

Looks like a jet engine. Anyways!

Here's my poor attempt at making rings. You see the pipe? Thats a piece a larger pipe fitted over another. I spent a good hour or more getting that to fit on there evenly like that. Reason,... so I could rest the strips up against it to make nice even rings. Yea.

The piece of aluminum clamped there is to hold the strip into place for wrapping. Yea.

The finished product! Crap. First,... My calc's were off a bit so all of the strips are 1/8" to short. So thats that! LOL. I tried anyways to see how well they would turn out.

Looks ok.

Not! Pulling a Borat there;) My shirt is black pause NOT! My shirt is black,............................................................................................................ NOT! LOL. Anyways,... shortly after failing miserably at making rings I realized something. I'm doing it all wrong! In fact it's so obvious I actually feel a bit stupid for not realizing this earlier! You know what,... I'm not even going to tell you how I am suppose to do it. If I did it this way, the right way, I would of had PERFECT rings. No joke. I want to see if you can figure this one out:) How can I make perfect rings in the studio only what I have available?!?!? Let's see if you guyz can figure that out.

Here's sPT. It's not done but almost. Cooling looking ehhh? Just by looking at it you should understand how it works. But I'll explain it anyways seeing theres two routes I can take for a final look.

you see the two bottom chambers sitting side by side. Thats going to be green and blue when filled. You see the ext ring up? Your looking at one chamber head on. thats goingto be either green or blue or,.... sea green because the colors are going to mix because the res is clear. Now,... here's the deal. You see the top most ring? I can either have all all colors to one side or I can switch them, so if theres [green|blue] at the bottom I can have to top chamber [blue|green]. What do you think? I personally dont care. Both will look great. What you think?

All of the rings were sanding unevenly. They all wobble. I have to sand them straight tomorrow when I get back to the studio. If that goes well,.. I'll have this reser glued together.
Image Image Image

What do you think? You like the sPT? There's nothing to show for the xPRZ atleast yet. So,... tell me what you think about switching the colors for the sPT and see if you can figure out how to make perfect rings in the studio using only what I have available in the studio. Let me know.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:19 pm

I can't believe no one figured out the best way to make perfect rings in the studio!!! Well,... here how. I didn't finish the rings today because I got to the studio late plus it's was a lot of work. Anyways,... check it out.

Jan-03-2007 (xPRZ5331r & sPT567dr)

4' x 1/2" strips freshly scored and snapped. Oh,... I brought my camera with me today but left the flash card home so all these pics were taken with my phone so they are not as good.

Sent the strips through the router. Cut them done to an amazing 3/16"!!!

Look how narrow! Did that with a router! And I still have all my fingers!!!

WHAM! Coils! Thats how! A coil is basically a continuous ring. If I mark a line across the coil and cut through that line,... just one line. Nothing but rings will be left. The ends will meet up perfectly except for the fact that they are offset from each by the with of the strip. All I have to do is push the ends together and glue. Theres harldy any tension because of how narrow the strips are so it will be easy to do! Flawless rings I tell ya! Tomorrow I will finish them up after I sleep some though. I haven't slept at all today.

Check it out,... I made 5 green coils and 2 tinted coils. I want to make a tinted version to see what it looks like with tinted rings spinning around inside UV green or whatever coolant. I bet it looks sweet. Let me tell you,.. my camera phone take some good pics! Look how coo these damn things look! HOT! They would make great avatars. Be my guest if anyone wants to use these pics.
Image Image Image Image Image

I'm getting real good at this whole coil thing;)
Image Image

Thats it for now. Those coils took several hours to make. can you believe it? Can you imagine how long it took me to make 32 of them!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:03 pm

Ok,... we have rings. I had to sleep today before I went to the studio so I got there kind of late again.

Jan-04-2007 (xPRZ5331r & sPT567dr)

Taping the coils up to make the cut. I need the coil to stay put while cutting so I can make one even cut.

Done. See:) Rings:) LOTS OF THEM! I dont know why but theres more then double then what I thought I would end up with! I made one coil per res thinking that what I needed. I must of had a brain fart or something.

Perfect.

Offest by the width of the strip. It's important to make the thinnest cut possible. You dont want to have to have much tension on the joint when gluing.

Not to bad,... it was actaully alot harder then I though. The mating surfaces of each end arent flush when bought together so when you glue it the joint of weak as hell. But thats ok I know a way to strengthen the joint.

Here I taped the ring and put a little bit of pressure on the joint so it will hold itself in position for gluing. I sanded the ends by running sand paper between the ends and pinching the paper with the ends. follow? Of course you do:) I didnt want to sand to much. Might make the ends even more uneven Just enough to clean it up and bit and form a powdery film on the ends. The powder left behind is used as a filler to help strengthen the joint when glued. When it's cured,... dont pull the tape off because you might break the joint. instead,...

do this. sand the tape off. Sand the ring down to clean up any uneven surfaces. Also you want to sand to the acrylic powder get smashed into the joint. You;ll see it in the joint. carefully wipe away all the powered except whts in the joint. When done run more weld-on into the joint. It will melt the powder and to will bond the joint better.

There. All done. They are dusty but whatever. I'll clean them before working with them. I didnt finish them today because I wanted them to cure over night.

So hot. Look how good they look. Big difference compared to my first attempt!

This is what im shooting for. Just like that on a shaft.

While those were curing I glued the sPT's together. Notice the run in the front. That was my fault. Had a brain fart again. I thought there were only 3 rings per reservoir. There's 4. I just remove the top and add the 4th ring tomorrow.

This is the switching res. blue|green at bottom and green|blue in the 3rd ring up. It's hard to see but you see the bigg holes in the middle of the res. Those channel the coolant into the right chamber.

This res is same side.

Going back to the studio tomorrow. Till then,.... peace.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Wow. Yea. Cool update. They coming together now. Check it out.

Jan-05-2007 (xPRZ5331r & sPT567dr)

Ok,... so the other day I glued the end piece to one of the sPT's when I wasn't suppose to. I still had another bogy ring to be glued in there. Anyways,... I removed the end piece easily with a het gun. Just heat it up until it's soft and with some pliers just peel it off. I sanded the upper most rings a bit to clean it off from the gluing and it was ready to go.

I used the table sander to remove all the excess material that was on the outside the of the reservoir. That was a pain. I wish there was a faster way to do it. I wasnt worried about using the sander to do this because all of the gluing for this reservoir is done. So I dont have to worry about crazing.

What a mess. Do you know how much time I spend just cleaning up this place? I need a maid.

Here their sanded down to 120 grit. Next will be 220 but thats wet sanding. I'm going to wait to finish the other reservoir to do this because I have to setup the drill press for wetsanding and thats a pain also.

Ok,.. to the xPRZ now. I found out today that I need more rings. A lot more. I found a better way to evenly clean the ring ends. witha cut off wheel. It's hard and doesnt flex or move. Just hold both ends to the disc and just graze it clean. Both ends mate nicely after.

See. flush. Strong.

Here I'm sanding a 23 degree area on the ring. Why? Keep reading,...

The camera sucks. Coulsnt get a good close shot it it. you see it?

Here im using sa special guage to find the center of the circle. I have to sand that same thing to the other side of the circle except on the other side.

After I have all the parts with that sanded thing, it's time for assembly.

Done. Well not done but this step is done. Noe I have to attach them to the shafts. These things are cool as hell. I wish I could spin one for you guyz. It's looks so cool. I just rolled one across the table top and it was hot looking! The rings appeared to be rolling off each other. Crazy looking.

Have to get them on a shaft. How cool is that! Im really liking the shadow rings or tinted one.

In a reservoir body.

Won't be able to get any work done on saturday. Sunday I can continue and I have off monday night so I will be working in the studio all day and night.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm

Ok so yea. Small update. I didnt get much time to work in the shop today. I was tired as hell and woke up very late. I went out last night and had the best time,... Myself and several friends went to hoboken and partied our asses off. HOOOOOO my god. We didnt get home till like 4 - 5 in the morning. So much fun. We took a lot of pics. As soon as I get them I will post some here. Anyways,... heres what little I did today.

Jan-07-2007 (xPRZ5331r & sPT567dr)

Here i'mn cutting off these 3/8" wide pieces to make the arms that will hold the ring structures to the shafts.

Done.

Now this is how I am going to make the mating surface that will mate with the ring structures for gluing. Using the drill press kind of like a milling machine.

I am cutting a "V" groove that will fit nice inbetween each set of rings. Theres 6 per ring structure. I need a better camera! I need to be able to take macro shots. This camera sucks.

Anyways,... the first attempt, the V groove was to wide or open. I have to give it more angle. I'll do that tomorrow when I get back in there. I have off tomorrow night so I'll be in there all day and night. I want to finish these reservoirs and move onto the the shields. Expect a big update.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification