TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:09 pm

PHEW! LED plugs,...... done.

Oct-30-2007

Ok,... so this is the last 19 I made? I need more.

32 more. Why so many? To learn. To learn what? To learn how to be as productive as possible. What to do and when to do it kind of stuff. This is help me with other stuff from here on in. I corrected any mistakes I made with the first sets. I got so good at making these now:) These new ones I near perfect:)

Cutting the ends down to the diameter needed for theading. This is actually cool. I was using an acylic tube just to toos them in when done. They fell inside in such a wya that their own weight supported them inside the tube. LOL. I slid it off the table over a box and they didnt fall. first thing came to mind,... get a pic!
Image Image

So I used the vises measuring collar to set how how in to go,... everyone of these is exactly .5". God I love.

so beautiful to me.

Had to empty my shop vac because it just wasnt sucking good enough. This is what I found. A S@#$load of acrylic! I have enough here to cast a whole new sheet! LOL. This was emptied a lttiel bit ago. LOL. This is all from the past few weeks.
Image Image

So nice,... so perfect.
Image Image Image Image

All threaded. I need a better way of threading. I need a way of threading more evenly. I need to rig my old vise into a threading machine. I need foot pedals, forward and reverse. You think running the press motor backwards would harm it? Reversing the polarity? I dont think so because isnt this how they reverse a hand held drill?

Delicious.

O-rings installed. Going home,...

At work,... here what Im thinking about doing for a propeller. I need something that is simple to make. I dont want the factory dealing with a load to little pieces,... peicing them all together, gluing multiple spots. I need as few pieces as possible. So this is it. Each propeller will consist on two identical peices which will be offsetted from each other. In this example,... I am using 3 blades but I have a feeling that I will use 4 blades per piece, 8 blade total per prop. Theres a reason.

I designed this so that is easy for even me to make. I can turn cut the outer diameter. Drill out a few spot and then make a few cuts with the scroll saw. I need to make a very specific jig for forming them.

Once formed,... well the pics explain the rest.
Image Image

Now,.. heres the thing with teh number of blades. There are a few variables I'm taking into consideration here. #1: The total height of the prop. I do not want the total height to exceed a 1/2". Anything more would be cutting into the space used for the FX. I dont want the propeller so big that it steal the attention away fromt eh spinFX. BUT! I am definitely,... seeing highly designed props coming very soon, in different colors too:) Because these props do look cool:) Now, #2: Blade angle. I want anywhere from 30 - 40 degrees even though in the pics it says 20 - 30. Having more of an angle will have a lot of torque to get the FX turning. This is what I want. Going about 45 degrees take away from the torque. Above 45 degrees means less torque and slower turning. Less then 45 degrees means less torque but faster turning. Possibly faster. The FX is in water so it can only turn so faster,... so technically, it would be about as fast as being above 45degrees. Understand? To little of an angle, it might not turn at all. So the idea is to stay as close to 45 degrees as possible. #3: I want the blade to atleast meet end to end and if possible overlap a bit to creat a constant motion. any gaps in between means a loss of thrust. Holy s@#% I sound like a friggin engineer or scientist or something. ha ha ha. so yea.

I'm goign to be using 1/16" acrylic to make these. I think that is a very good thickenss for what Im using it for. I was even thinking about trying 1/32". It is suprisingly strong. once the two pieces are positioned,... they are glued together in the center. They will be slid on a 1/4" shaft and then glued there.

Again,... I'm thinking about doing 4 blades. If you tilt these blades of the 3 blades design,... I am thinking it will excedd the 1/2" target height.

Back to the LED plugs,... Done! These are the ones Im sending to acryan.
Image Image Image Image Image

What a lovely specimen we have here,... i love the flat sides. Makes so much sense to me.

Awesome.

With some danger den fittings,...

With Koolance,..
Image Image

What do you guys think!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Damn I'm tired!!!! OMG. The propeller is almost here!

Nov-01-2007

Here's the 4 blade design that I was going to go with but I thought,... what the hell. I just want to go with a one piece prop. So,...

One piece prop I will make,... the reason why I didn't want to go with the one piece design initially is because I wanted the blades to overlap for more continuous thrust. I cant get them to overlap with a one piece design. But then I thought,... is it going to make that much of a difference?!?!? Maybe,... maybe not. What I do know is that if I go with the one piece design,... it will work undoubtly.
Image Image

Goodness gracious thats hot.
Image Image

Time to break out the .06 acrylic. This stuff is perfect for the props,...

Here I'm turn cutting them down to a target diameter of 2". This stuff is kind of hard to turn cut because its very flexible and thin. There was a lot of shattering until I got down far enough where it was a more continuous cut.

Very cool.
Image Image

I'm liking it already:)

See how thin it is compared to the regular 1/8" we use.

This one is going to be the template to the holes. The purpose of the holes is to shorten the area of material where the blades meeter the center. I am drilling because it's easier then scroll sawing something different. Get me?

Center punched,...

Goign to drill all of them at once. I bolted them to this wood so I have more to hold on to while drilling and because its easier to pass the bit through the last disc.

Done.

This looks cool!
Image Image Image

Almost there!

Now I marked a couple of these like this so I can easily line them up for the cut.

Crazy dangerous buts works like a champ. The blade is actually very thin. a tiny bit smaller then 1/16". But it cuts at 1/16" because its got a slight shimmy to it.

HOT!!! Not done but HOT! OMG these are going to come out pro!!! WOW! LOL.
Image Image Image Image
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:54 pm

Started the forming jig but I'm not done yet. I have off tonight and tomorrow and monday too. So I'm goign to back after this to finish these props. I'm goign to make 2 aluminum versions of the prop too so an test the jig.

Nov-02-2007

Bought some pine. Cut the end at 45 degrees.

Then I cut them again like this,... another 45 degree cut.

Put them together and this is what you get,...

Going to make two just in case. These are the bottom pieces.

These are the top pieces. The second 45 cut is in the opposite direction to counter the 45 of the bottom pieces. They needed an extra cut too.

This is how they fit together.

This is how I made the extra cut. A simple jig to hold the little pieces.

Nice.

I have to sand the pieces down and then glue them to other piece of wood. The top and bottom once done will be about 2" thick. You'll see,... its not done.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:53 am

WOW! I love it,....

Nov-03-2007

Super glued down to another piece of wood. I was going to screw them down too,... next time.

Nice.

Drilling out the centers. 1/2".

Very good.

Very nice,...

I need a wooden tube, 1/2" round.

1/4" bolt to turn cut the tube.

Awesome.

Aluminum props,...

Now,... I have to figeout the height of this center tube. Makes a big difference.

I cleared away some of the wood around the tube to make room for the props.

I can push or pull until I get it the way I want it.

I think im goign to go with this height right here. Atleast this time around. I will definately be playing around with this again in the near future.

Aluminum test. I'm just trying to see about what shape the acrylic ones will take on,...
Image Image

This jig makes these props here,...

You see how the blades are all to one side? This is not what I intended but,.... I actually like it. I can get it to sit more flush against the end caps right above the in port. It makes the prop look more like it belongs to the end cap as opposed to the actual FX. Know what I'm saying?
Image Image Image

This is what the jig looks like when closed on a prop,....

See the prop?

That is just so cool looking,...

Closed.

Now,... just for the hell of it,... I tried lowering the middle peg in hopes that the blades would be somewhat more half way between the center ring of the prop but no,... this is what I ended up with. I have to figure out what the jig is missing that I cant do it. Something is up,...

You see how it starts high then slopes down again? I have to have larger 45 degree thingies to get the blades up higher. The top piece of the jig is pushing the blades down. The 45 degree wedges have to be higher the the stoping point has to be higher too.
Image Image Image Image

I moved the peg back to get what I got before out of the aluminum version. I like this a lot better. I'm goign to keep it like this. I kind of like how its flush on one side.
Image Image

Here it is on an old xPRZ FX. I have the prop upside down. DOH.
Image Image Image

Heres's the prop before forming. It's only takes seconds to heat this stuff up and to my surprise it didnt out gas as easily as I thought it would! No bubbles!

During.

Done.

This looks cools. Both alum's back to back. Looks cool.

Flush.

This is how I want them. This looks nice. The prop looks like its a part of the end cap and not the FX. I'm going to make tiny shaft's with one end keyed. That will be the whole prop. The FX shafts will be keyed on the one side and it will mate with the keyed end of the prop.
Image Image

Yea,... I love my 30 pounders, I started doing it this way.

Check it out! New colored washers! These go on each end of the reservoir.

Blue for Qhs,...
Image Image

Black or tinted for DarthBeavis,...

Green,...
Image Image

And clear. I'm sending all the colors to the company.

Ok,... time to clean up the jig,...

Nice,...

HA! Reminds me of the little thing inside a blender. Not the blade but the thing under the container that turns the blade.
Image Image

A mouth with really sharp teeth!

My stash,... keep some, sending some away.
Image Image

I made a quick video testing out the new prop;)

How to make an xPRZ FX explode,...
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 am

Grab a freah pair of panties fella's because your going to need em when you see this!!!!!!

Nov-04-2007

Final product. The prop has it's own little shaft that is keyed. This is so the prop is separate from the sFX. I did this because just in case one fo you knuckle heads should break the prop, you will only have to replace the prop. Plus you can buy the prop when you start making your own:) Cool?

I'm sure you know how the keys work,... the end of the sFX shaft will be keyed too. Them fit together and wham,... one spinning piece.

Ok. Now I know I said I was going to mount these sFX's the old way but you know me! Once I have my heart set on something I have to do it! So here it is!

The new way! Remember these? This time I only have a 9/64" holes drilled through them. This is the hole size I use to slide a 6-32 bolt through for turn cutting.

Now im going to use my VERY helpful cross slide vise to drill them again, this time with a 1/8 bit.

Whalaa,...

Very nice,....

Some posts,... they have to be 2" max. Going to mill them.

Like so,...

Perfect.

Rounded and polished the ends.

Slide through and glue.
Image Image

After they cure I drill out the 9/64" holes to 1/4". The 9/64 acts like a pilot holes for the larger 1/4". You really do not want to drill to 1/4" and then dril out the center of the 1/4" again because if your off by even a bit the second time,... its no longer 1/4". It might not fit on the shaft the way it's suppose to. You get me?
Image Image

Now,... her's the part that had me s@#$ing my pants. literally. Sweaty palms. I have to drill the sFX's. They have to be the same though. if even one hole is off a bit,... it wont mount. I'll have to make it again. SO,... i need a system of doing this. So,.. this pipe is the same diameter I used to make the sFX's. Im goign to drill a 1/8" hole right through it. Has to be dead center. You dont want this to be off because your sFX will be crooked.

Prepping,... i got my LED light shinning through the holes to better align the sFX dead center. The light is where the bit is going. It was hard to see the hole in the pipe through the tinted sFX.

Cool ehh? Lets see how I do!
Image Image

Nailed it!
Image Image

OMG thats cool!
Image Image Image

Damn. Just damn.

Together.

Done.

Qhs.

DarthBeavis.

Qhs.

Top.

Bottom.

DarthBeavis.

Bottom.

Top.

Here's the eye candy,... Qhs.
Image Image Image Image

Something is wrong with my UV's,... one of them burnt out and the others seem dim,... I'm thinking that I am running them to hot. I have to make another one.

This one is just so,... breath taking. Ho shiat. DarthBeavis's,...
Image Image Image Image Image

Now,... time to close up Darth's two dual res's. After this it will be time for the aluminum work.

I have to test these res's out first. Video later on. WHAT YOU GUY THINK!!!! Hot right!!! I feel sorry for anyone going up against these at any contests!!! MUH HA HA HA!!!!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:42 am

Ok,... dualies are done. There's a problem with the sFX's though. They wont turn. I know why they wont turn. I order some more material that I have to wait a couple of days to get it because mcmaster doesnt have it. So,... in the mean time I will be working on a mounting system. Wait till you see what I came up with:) You know people ask wher eI get my ideas from,... the mounting system, I got that idea on the floor. LOL. I was laying down at the studio trying to sleep becuase I was so damn tired. As I was falling asleep I saw some o-rings that I bought that were to big for what I was going to use them for. They were going to be used to seal up the reservoirs. Anyways,... the o-rings are 2.5" in diameter. I have no use for them. For a while now I was thinking,... what the hell can I do with those. I have like 50 or 100 of them! So thats when it hit me,... to mount the reservoirs. You know,... as im writing this now,... I do remember someone asking me if they were to mount the reservoirs,... I cant remember who though?!?!? Anyways,... intially i wasnt goign to use them to mount the reservoirs. But now,... it's actually a great idea. BUT you have to see what I have planned. Its perfect! I needed a mounting system where I could mount shields but for those who dont want shields,... I didnt want it where there are like unused thread-serts showing. You know what I mean? So this mounting system is going to be pretty neat. I'll be starting it tomorrow. Going to rest today.

Nov-06-2007

DB's dualies,... glued.

Very nice seal!

Ends rounded and excess sanded away.

Polished. CyberDruid is right,... glued reservoirs are still the S@#$! They look like jewls or something,...
Image Image Image

LED plugs.

Fittings. OH,... DB, these reservoirs aren't coming with the fittings. I use them for pics and sizing up,... you on your own with that. These fittings are close as hell! I hope I can get the damn hoses on!!
Image Image

Yup:) They are close as hell together but you can get them on. Thats 1/8" thick primoflex I think its called? I dont know.

I had to use a smidge of lube to get them on. They have to go on together at the same time. I think you can get them on one by one but a lube is needed. I love how the total width of the hoses is about the same as the res itself.

Thats tight. But nice.
Image Image

Ok,... so it either this, which is most likely going to be how they are arranged.

This or,...

This. Nah,.... in the middle is fine.

Now,... I am thinking about having the dualies,... prependicular straight up or like this, angled out. I have to make up my mind now because once the shields are made, I cant turn them after. So yea.

Here they are angled inward which is cool but the inner chamber will be hidden.

Building a test rig.

Drilled, countersunk, and ready to be installed.

Very cool looking. I need to make a wooden case some day. But I want to make one that holds itself together like that one case, I forgot it's name.

A bead of glue just for some extra strength.

MY old Backout gear. I have to get new gear. This stuff is old as hell.

DB's ready to be tested,...
Image Image

Now as said before,... the res's failed. I do not want to go into details as to why because,... well. It's a long story. I'm going to make a special part once I get my stuff in the mail and that will be that. I'm going to work on the mounting system while im waiting. Plus I have two more xPO's to fix,... S@#$.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:31 am

Ok,... here's the my fix on the spinning problem. The spinnign problem is simple to understand. Basically,... the "in" is flowing a jet of water against the bottom of the propeller wher ethe "out" port is pulling water from above the porpeller and trhough it which is working against the the "in" port. I need keep the "out" port from pulling water throught eh propeller. Here's how,...

Nov-11-2007

With this,... it's basically a pan with a hole in the bottom for the intake. The pan's out diameter is about 2-1/8" where the inside diameter of the res's body is about 2-1/4" which give a good 1/16" groove all the way around. It's actually a bit more,... more like 3/32". Anyways,... it forces the out port to pull from around the pan which means it will be pulling from around the propeller instead of through it. water being pulled around the pan will come from about the prop and even in teh pan itself but thats ok because the water has to go up to get over the pans wall. Water going up is fine. Thats what I want. So yea. It works great!!! OH,... the little tube glued to the hole is for the in port. I cut the diameter down so that tube fits inside the in port which keep the pan from turn with the prop. That holes has to stay aligned with the in port so the jet of water bypasses the area where the out port is pulling from. The jet makes it way up into the the pan to push the prop.
Image Image

I am goign to remake these because im not fully happy with how they came out. I know a better way to make them. So I will do that today. I will have both re's done today and ready for the aluminum work. I will also start my new brackets to day too:) I ahve off tonight so I will be there all night working on this.

The pan only adds an additional 1/4" to the overall height of the reservoir which is pretty damn good!! I'm thinking about lowering the pan a bit more and giving the walls of the pans a tiny bit more height.
Image Image Image Image

Here's the video. Remember,... what you are seeing is with a FULL watercooling setup and not just a pump. I cant imagine how fast it would be if I just had a pump hooked to it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqjsKm3ZHnI
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Damn,... so I didnt finishing updating both reservoirs last night. I kind of,... killed myself at the gym and I was sore as HELL!!! OMG,... I was so damn swolen. Anyways,... I ended up sleeping late and didnt make it to the studio until like 3:30am. Anyways,... I also ran into some trouble making the new pan things. I'll explain.

Nov-12-2007

This pan assembly has a thickness of 1/16" all around. HEre are some 2.5"OD 1/4" thick rings to cut down to 1/16" thick. There are some 1/16" thick squares to make the disc's.

Goign to use this to cut down the rings.

Altough it works fine the first time,.. I needed a way to hold the rings tighter.

Solution. Made slits and I pushed in these aluminum wedges. Works great.

Cutting down,..

Looks cool.

Done.
Image Image

OMG I'M SWOLLEN! Ripped. Damn,... i can barely move.

Where was i,... oh yea. Done.

One of the rings fell of range so I cant use it. So,... here's an example of how strong this s@#$ is. This is just before it broke.

This is how I cut the discs the last time but this time I'm not using a 1/4" bolts. So this didnt work very well. I tried several times and wasted so muc time with this. Anyways,... this 1/16" acrylic rips very easily when cutting. I recommend cutting it at a very high speed and fed slowly. I cut mine at like 2100+rpm.
Image Image

A new stool,...

Because my fat A@# broke the other one. OMG I wish I had all my media equipment,... if the video recorder was running that would of been funny as hell to watch. I totally busted my a!@. The funny part was that I just didnt fall to the floor. I fell back and hit the wal and then slide sideways onto the floor. The whole time I'm trying to grab a hold of something but couldnt get grip so BAAM! LOL. I didnt know what was happening until I saw the chair. I'm like why am I falling!??! BAAM!

HA HA,... Anyways,... almost done.

Modder, TheAlien asked about it so here it is! Dual intake! OH yea! Sending this to the company too.

This is how im cutting the the little pieces. I didnt do it this way the last time and it took that much longer. This worked great! I used a spike because using bolts kept stripoing the inside. This was that much better.

Look at that!!! They are perfect! So tiny and yet perfect.

Dual in,... lets glue em.

Oh yea,... so hot.
Image Image

I didnt use the 1/4" shaft in the middle like last time because this is easier and better. The larger center tube only has to be placed about center and glued instead of being inserted then glued. The larger center keeps the pan straighter too. The last ones had a slight tilt to them. I didnt like that.

Damn that looks great!!

Thats just friggin cool!

DUAL BABY!!! Thanks TheAlien:) Does this mean I have to test it out?!?!?
Image Image

Prop in place,...

Pan covers the props fully now,...

Thats looks so cool.

I just have to put the new pan inside darths,.. and I have to resive Qhs's and then install his. After that its time for the brackets.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:08 pm

MUAH HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!!!!

Nov-17-2007

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! *cries like a lil girl*

LOL. This is so amusing to me,... look at all this SH@#$! LOL. You know,... when I'm cutting and this stuff is spraying everywhere,... it's hot. I mean HOT! I usually have my head right up against the vise as im cutting so I can watch closely. This stuff lands like right in front of my face, literally. Now,... as it's accumulating, I can feel the heat from it! I mean its a lot of heat! So much that i'm still talking about it here instead of miving on to the cool pics,...

Very thin.

Breaks easily into a dust.

Look at all this! OMG, LOL. You know,... I bet I could use it to make a panel:) Crush it,... lay it on a cookie sheet evenly and then spray it down with weld-on, LOL. I think it would work.
Image Image Image

All of that fuzz from cutting these. Yep. Just these.

These things are so damn dead on its just blows my mind.

Bottoms added,... sanded and polished. So delicious.

Fixed! Glued that bad boy down. Easy right?!?! No more lifting/ tilting. It stays put and the only thing that floats is the prop and sFX. YES. As the sFX is spinning,... it's floating:)
Image Image

So hardcore,... the sFX was actually turning while I was taking pics.
Image Image Image

Qhs! I havent forgot about you my friend. Your next! I have to update yours and get some pics and a video of yours. It's going to be just as hot man! I'm actually going to hook yours up seperately and then I'm going to hook both up in the one loop! I know both of them will turn! I need a splitter. I dont want one to spin slower then the other. Hmmm you think it will?!?!?

My mic on my camera was working for whatever reason,... listen and tell me what you hear:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xkHW51FFwM
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:44 am

Small update. Qhs's res is done. Both just need to be cleaned up a bit. Going to start on brackets now. I have to clean up the studio first. A Nuke went off over here.

Nov-18-2007

Done and works greats:)
Image Image

Ok,... I took anothre video of the DayWalker res because I didnt like that last one. I found out that the new one isnt all that either. I need a better video recorder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OlbMoyOwnw

This is Qhs's custom reservoir. It's so damn smooth,... god I love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUD8lCrOV0

So,... I do have plans on getting better media equipment. Does anyone know of a really good video editor or something where I can add cool effects to the video's?!?!? Maybe some bleeping for the foul mouth, LOL. Let me know. Thanks.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification