Rob's Carputer

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby ~Rob » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:31 pm

And the boot is finished! I've got an issue with the amp but other than that we're all done at the rear! All that's left to do now is tweak the software and finish fabricating the front. wooo!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Very Nice Rob!! I like how you made the enclosure for the PC. What are your temps like?

How is the power setup? Are you running a power inverter? or a straight DC setup?

I'm planning to build a carputer for my Mustang soon. I havent decided what I'm going to go with as far as the computer aspect, but I think I've decided on the screen. Also, I want the PC to turn on when I turn the key in the ignition.

Since my mustang doesnt really have a way of concealing an LCD like yours, and I want to be able to use a single din CD player as well, I am 100% sure I am going to go with a 7" flip-out. This way, I wont have to cut into the dash, little fabrication (dont want to hurt the value of the car if I sell it later), and if my car ever got broken into, they wont tear it up too bad.

I'm looking at the non-motorized Xenarc touchscreen. I dont want a motorized one simply because of wear and tear, no ability to swivel, and it's too slow to put back in. I also like being able to conceal it when it's inside.

I have a couple of options to run as my computer:

1) I have a spare P3 933mhz Compaq Presario I'm not using. I could take the mobo out and run it. This would save me lots of money and I could buy an OBDII scanner with the money instead to show all my car vital info...but I would have to figure out the whole AC>DC PSU automatic turn on thingy...

2) I could build a mini-itx setup (Via M1000 or better)

3) I could run a Pentium M 2.13ghz setup with all the bells and whistles, but it'll leave me broke and the project will take much longer to finish. The whole PC would fit in my glovebox!

4) Use an old laptop as carputer, mount it somewhere in the trunk and buy a touchscreen for the dash.

I'm gonna need your help and I'll be posting a detailed log with tons and tons of pics.

I've been reading the MP3Car forums a lot for a month now. :D
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby J.C.GARCIA » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:24 pm

nice project . gonna have to lok at your temps though and maybe the battery
p4 2.4b 533mhz fsb
epox 4bea2
768mb ddr pc2100
radeon 7000 64mb w/tv out
120gb seagate hard drive 7200rpm
40gb seagate hard drive 5400rpm
live 1024
dvdrw lg gsa 4040b
cdrw btc 48x16x48x
xp home
J.C.GARCIA
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:30 pm

Wow, nice Rob!! I've been contemplating something similar. The rear deck between my rear speakers (portion of the trunk's roof) is empty because I removed the factory amp. Perfect to begin work on a PC project. Just gotta get some time to work on it. I've kind a put off all car projects for now. I was going to permanently mount an inverter and make blended outlets so it'd be pretty slick, but I've been re-evaluating how much more money I plan to spend on it. It's already in excess of $7000 between audio, engine/drivetrain, and suspension... :roll:
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~Rob » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am

YouGiveMeRash!!! wrote:Very Nice Rob!! I like how you made the enclosure for the PC. What are your temps like?

Mid 60's - I need to put a very quiet 80mm fan onto the CPU

YouGiveMeRash!!! wrote:How is the power setup? Are you running a power inverter? or a straight DC setup?

It's a straight DC adaptor. Google "M2-ATX" - Possibly the best value-for-money PSU you can get. It has the shut-down controller built into it, just take a lead from your ignition as the trigger. It will also cut power after a user-defined time to stop draw.

YouGiveMeRash!!! wrote:I'm looking at the non-motorized Xenarc touchscreen. I dont want a motorized one simply because of wear and tear, no ability to swivel, and it's too slow to put back in. I also like being able to conceal it when it's inside.

Good call, the motorized ones have a habit of going through cogs

YouGiveMeRash!!! wrote:I have a couple of options to run as my computer:

1) I have a spare P3 933mhz Compaq Presario I'm not using. I could take the mobo out and run it. This would save me lots of money and I could buy an OBDII scanner with the money instead to show all my car vital info...but I would have to figure out the whole AC>DC PSU automatic turn on thingy...

2) I could build a mini-itx setup (Via M1000 or better)

3) I could run a Pentium M 2.13ghz setup with all the bells and whistles, but it'll leave me broke and the project will take much longer to finish. The whole PC would fit in my glovebox!

4) Use an old laptop as carputer, mount it somewhere in the trunk and buy a touchscreen for the dash.

Avoid mini-itx, it's crippled, laptops are a good option, a cheap one with a broken screen is always good.The P3 would be a very good choice though

I'm gonna need your help and I'll be posting a detailed log with tons and tons of pics.[/quote]

Good stuff!

YouGiveMeRash!!! wrote:I've been reading the MP3Car forums a lot for a month now. :D

That's an evil place! Go to www.digital-car.co.uk - much less flaming!

J.C.GARCIA wrote:nice project . gonna have to lok at your temps though and maybe the battery

The battery has been fine since I haven't been using the PC for long periods without starting the engine

Sabrewings wrote:Wow, nice Rob!! I've been contemplating something similar.

Forget the PC Sabre, spray the car pink! :D

Best news is that I'm back from my 2 weeks in the sun and I'm insuring it tomorrow so I finally get to drive the darn thing! WOO!!! Shame the screen is away for repair so I'm back to stock equipment for a week or two :(
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Previous

Return to System Modification