Rob's Carputer

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Rob's Carputer

Postby ~Rob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm not going to be ordering the parts for a good few months, but I want to start planning things now so I can get everything finalised and ready to order.

The plan is to install a computer in a car, or carputer. It will be running either XP or SuSe Linux (SuSe has touchscreen support) and will most deffinately be an ITX PC with wi-fi. Never know when I need to post here :lol:

Anyways, I see 2 problems. Most important is hiding the screen, I don't want anybody seeing it as I walk by and the touch-swcreens I've seen so far are dash-mounted and don't flod away. I could make a curtain, but a folding screen would be best.

Secondly, as the music would be stored on the carputer, does it make sense to use the output from the on-board sound to drive the speakers, thus giving 5.1 output, or do I take a line to the head-unit and use that to power the amps?

I want to have an MP3 player, sat nav and wireless internet. I'm thinking of making a java program (easy enough, I've already made a java maze game) and using that to control everything, unless there is already a (free) program that does everything.
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed May 03, 2006 2:15 am

Ok, well that post had lots of replies! :lol:

Well I've bought a Renault Laguna 2.0l Automatic. It's a really nice car with lot of space, I'll post pics later this week when I pick it up.

Today the motherboard arrived, it's an Epox 8RGMI with dual VGA output and nforce 2 chipset. I've also got an AMD 2500XP-M on the way. So it should be a very cool running PC. I've just got to dig out a CD-Rom drive, although there should be one comming my way soon, and as my Laptop runs SuSe Linux I can install that copy onto this PC :P

So there's a mini-update, pics and the like to come soon
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Thu May 04, 2006 6:53 am

Well it's built and I'm just installing the software. I'm using RoadRunner as the front end to play music through winamp etc.

In the end it was quite a cheap built.
£50 for the 2400XP-M
£27 for the motherboard
£33 for 512Mb Ram
£6 for the cooler.

I had the hard drive and CD Rom doing nothing so it's £126 for most of the bits.

I just need to get the monitor (£100-200) and power supply (£60) plus the cables and the like (£30 ish)

I promise to post pics, I'm still waiting for the car though :lol:
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Can't wait to see it...
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~Rob » Fri May 05, 2006 2:09 am

Me neither! The software is all set up now and from hibernation the boot time is aroung 30 seconds, which isn't too bad at all. It also resumes the music from where you left off!

I just want to put it in the car, which I'm still waiting to hear about! Damn DVLA!! :roll:

I've found a cool skin too, MC2 which has embedded flash games so I can play tetris in the car park!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Thu May 18, 2006 7:23 am

Ok, I've started a mini-build log over here
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 pm

BAM!!!

The PC is mostly finished now, the rest is audio + craft related. I've got a radio + TV card in the car now and built the PC enclosure.

I flattened the battery 3 times in the last week! I've got my eyes on some Infinity components for the front 50.7's I think and some co-axials for the rear. I'm keeping my 12" sub as it is. I'll take a vid of the front-end in action when I've got the front in a decent state again
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:32 am

I'd have expected Sabre to post by now!

Today I started on the sub enclosure. Tomorrow I'll buy a new amp for the Sub and it's done! I say done.. I still need to sort out GPS and get the front build the way I want it!

I just realised that I haven't posted many pics, so I'll make up for it...

The rear, nearly done

Up front, screen off

Screen on

And the car (Did I already post this pic?)
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:12 pm

quick question

In England are you allowed to have the computer on while your driving or while the car is on? I know its illegal in a lot of states around here...
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~Rob » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:24 pm

ummmm.... 8)

It's fine, as long as the screen isn't in view whilst driving, or as long as I'm not being stupid with it when driving. It's really no different to a regular radio or satnav
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to System Modification