Window Tinting

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Window Tinting

Postby mole2704 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:32 pm

I know some people have done this before, and i have finally gotten round to doing it, but have faced a problem.

When I first put the tint on it didn't sit right and lots of bubbles and marks were visable, so I took it off.

Then I was left with sticky marks in streaks where the glue had been. So I bought some window cleaner designed for car windscreen to sort the problem.

Now I have used the cleaner but am left with a 'scratchy' layer almost as though i had sanded the window.

Has anyone got any ideas?? I dont have the tools avaliablt to me to replace the window till the summer, and i have tried to find a replacement but cant.
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby mole2704 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Ok so i have figure the problem was that i was using a sponge scourer. But at least i have found a cheap way to 'mist' the window. Any ideas of how to get rid of it?
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ThEvil0nE » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:14 pm

First of all... tinting anything but glass is not recommended. You can do it but you have to do it right the first time. The reason is what problems you are having right after you took it off.

I have no idea on how to take off those scratches so I would suggest you get a replacement window and do a good job of tinting :lol:

Anyway, when tinting glass... you can get away using just shampoo and water but if you have to tint acrylic or anything of the same type, I suggest you use the right solution as they don't dry up that easy giving you enough time to squeegee those air bubbles out.

Try going to local tinting shops (if you know them) and maybe they can spare you some tinting solution if not, pepboys should carry them :wink:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:16 pm

Take it to a pro. The guys who did my car's tint are going to do my PC case window in blue flames (it's even contoured, not flat) for $20.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mole2704 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:30 am

unfortuantly I'm at uni atthe mo and have to figure out yet where these local shops are. So far the only pc shop i found was rubbish. They guy tried to chrage me double for some meemory and didn't know what a northbridge was.

I have tried to look for a new panel but with no luck. I do have an old one at home which i bought and scratched so will look to se what can be done with that.

I didn't realise acrylic acted differnet to glass for this sort of thing. I should have asked my brother really as he does this and the graphic designs for a job.
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:35 am

mole2704 wrote:unfortuantly I'm at uni atthe mo and have to figure out yet where these local shops are. So far the only pc shop i found was rubbish. They guy tried to chrage me double for some meemory and didn't know what a northbridge was.

I never said take it to a PC shop. Take it to a tint shop, like where they tint car windows and you can ask them to tint your house windows. They should do a simple PC window with no hassle. Be professional work, and hopefully they'll use Llumar film which would be great for the interior environment of a computer.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mole2704 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 am

i was just saying that i dont know where the shops are around here yet as have just to to uni, am looking into it though. Will prob get it done at home though as the spare window is there and will be easier.

At least i found a great cheap way of frosting windows :D
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:16 am

If you've got a good even frosted finish on your panel... rub some food colouring into it. That'll tint it for you beautifully! OK, so it won't be transparent anymore but...

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:48 am

mole2704 wrote:i was just saying that i dont know where the shops are around here yet as have just to to uni, am looking into it though. Will prob get it done at home though as the spare window is there and will be easier.

At least i found a great cheap way of frosting windows :D

YELLOW BOOK never fails :P

LOL@cheap frosting :lol:

Sabrewings wrote:Take it to a pro. The guys who did my car's tint are going to do my PC case window in blue flames (it's even contoured, not flat) for $20.

I was also planning to do flame accent on my current project but after I did the stencil-cut it just didn't look right :oops:
Yep... you can do alot with tints. Check Gila Films XTREME GRAFIX out as they have pre-cut flames and don't forget to get their free samples :P
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to System Modification