LCD Screen (The second attempt)

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby Snowfire » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 pm

Keeps getting better and better! I'd love to see some type of "kit" for this mod! Would definately raise the value of some of our rigs!
Tono Sien

Love is the greatest conspiracy, by the most loving genius.
Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ~Rob » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 am

DAVE185 wrote:cool

can't wait to see it finished!!

Nor can I!

Sabrewings wrote:Wow, dude. Freaking slick. Is samurize free? How much overhead is there?

It is free. There's virtually no overheads when it updates every second, but I like it to update faster to scroll text smoothly, so at 500ms there's about 5-10% CPU usage. It's just a PSOne LCD. If you get the NTSC (which you would) it would be a little easier for you to get it working from VGA, but it involes a lot of playing with another program called power strip, which I'm not a fan of.

TheEvilOne wrote:Very nice progress... now all you have to do is pull this one thru

Fingers crossed!!

Rarou11 wrote: I'd love to see some type of "kit" for this mod!

I had an idea of putting them into a little desk stand and flogging them on ebay. could be pretty cool!

I think I forgot to mention I need to also make a 12V-7.5V DC converter to run it off a molex. anybody got some spare schematics hanging around?

EDIT: I've got Jessica Alba on my 5"!!!

EDIT: Look at my cool new print screens!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:10 pm

Looking good ROB!!!

Much better then the first attempt :lol: :lol:
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Went to maplins today and they're out of S-Video connectors so I'll order some tomorrow. Should have it running and installed by the end of next week
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:58 am

Coursework set this project wayyyyyyyy back. Almost as far back as the 70's! Anywho, I've sent mum to get the bits I need today after an order from Maplin's online went horribly wrong.

I've got a piece of perspex waiting in the garage that will be sprayed maybe.

I've also bought a cheap card reader from ebay because phone datacables are a pain in the back side. and I'll build a fan controller on to that too. I'll modify my old fan controller I think.

It's ALIVE!!!

Now tidying up and will post pics asap!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:04 am

ok, well it's taken an eternity, two screens, a bit more money than I hoped and an incorrect order I'm too lazy to get corrected but it's done!

Here's a little blog of the final stages of the build:

I had some perspex type stuff left over from my boot build in the car and thought I may as well be resourceful and use the rest of it. I marked onto the plastic where to cut and used a jigsaw on it in the end and filed it down to size. I really could have done with a propper ban (sp?) saw, but it came out ok.

Here's one of the test fits to see how it was sizing up

Next I judged the rough position of where it should sit. My case has a nice blue square on the door that I wanted the sreen to sit in.

Once it was lined up I hot-glued it in place and made sure it would stay there.

I wired up the composite into S-Video using this guide here and put the screen in place. And that was that. If you want any pics of the rear/circuitry just ask!

The finished project!!

Well, I say finished, I still need to work on a power adaptor for it so it doesn't have to be plugged into the mains. There's a spare molex waiting to be connected. The screen needs 7.5Volts but the first screen (r.i.p) worked off 7v by using the 5V and 12V lines. I'm tempted to use that again, but a car adaptor would be a much better idea!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:15 pm

SWEET!!!! 8)
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:22 am

Sweet indeed. The kit idea is a good one. I'm sure they'd sell and you could certainly charge a few quid for your labor! :wink:

I'm particularly impressed with how well such a (relatively) large screen fits into a case to scale. Most of the little screens I've seen people work with you practically have to put your nose to the case before you can see/read anything.

Another interesting mod would be to put one of these in the top of a case instead of a bay for those who have computers that sit on the floor. That way, a quick glance down would give you whatever info you needed.

Anyway, great series of posts! :mb_thumbup::
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Snowfire » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:57 am

True! You'd have to use the second or third 5.25" bay though, but for some, that's no problem! I think that you might have a possible business venture here. Maybe even team up with Tribal? You guys could make a killing! :twisted:
Tono Sien

Love is the greatest conspiracy, by the most loving genius.
Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:08 am

nice job rob
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification