installing braided cable sleeves\how to guide

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

installing braided cable sleeves\how to guide

Postby sshhameless1 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Hello
My 13 yr old son's computer needed to be upgraded so I decided to jazz things up a bit while at it. he has the aspire super x-alien case with all the blue led fans and uv reactive molex connectors. I purchased some uv reactive braided cable sleeves in different sizes and lengths. Since I have never attempted this type of thing before I was hoping to find some step by step guide that explains the procedure both in text and visually if possible. Perhaps because I am a little behind the times when it comes to this latest craze I can't seem to find much information on many of the sites that are geared towards modding. There are lots of how tos and guides for more extreme makeovers but not many(that I could find) about what is probably considered nowadays to be old news. It is also possible that I am not phrasing my search query correctly. Anyways could someone please point me in the right direction or know of links containing the info I need. Obviously being a beginner the more detailed the information is the better off I will be.

As always my heartfelt thanks to those who respond.
sshhamie
sshhameless1
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ajrox » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:39 am

call around to the local PC/electrical shops in your town. ask them if they carry a molex power kit for PCs. you want the whole kit and not just the little tool you need to pop out the pins, some get quite disfigured when popping them out.
but after you have the kit, just use the tool to pop out the pins from the molex, slide on the sleave, pop the pins back in the molex. if the pins are real loose and tugging on the wire pulls any given pin out of the molex connector, replace the pin{s} and then reconnect.
do one at a time from start to finish so you can match the pin configuration to one that is correct. it could get ugly if you mismatch pins and turn on the PC :twisted:
good luck
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:38 am

here

and here

These are on the UK site - they actually come from Guernsey - but if you want to have a trog round your end print these pages out to give you an idea of what you're after.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby sshhameless1 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 am

Thanks to you both for replying. I already had the sleeve kit and I was mostly looking for a how to guide on using it. I have found that sometimes what seems like a logical step or instruction to some totally gets by others and little things can quickly mount up to big issues. Alas I found my self staring at the job in front of me and just diving. I learned quite a few things to do and not do in the first few hours and after a lot more time and effort than I had expected to spend initially, the machine is back online and looks pretty cool if I say so myself. My husband also learned that it isnt a good idea to say things like *so what is it that you did* when I am sleep deprived, and cranky. So , after I get some sleep I am off to do a little shopping at Fry's Electronics. I saw this flat screen monitor that is a little bigger than my current one and would be a nice new addition. hehe.
sshhamie

edited to add: pj, I just wanted to say that I thought that your sig is one of the nicest I have seen. We can always hope for a more enlightened future and the place to start is with ourselves.
sshhameless1
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to System Modification