Project: Fanless Silent 3 Watercooler

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:23 am

scottla wrote:Dave, you may be thinking about the Antec Phantom at 500W. Actually, it LOOKS fanless, but does have fans that will kick on if a certain temp level is reached. Might be a reasonable compromise.

This ThermalTakeis what I ended up getting and scaled the components to live inside the power constraints. Like it. Think there's a 400W version floating around now, but have no experience with it.

There's this fanless XG Magnum 500W for $140 with very good review.

DAVE185 wrote:can't remeber just went looking for it for a half an hour but can't find it

will keep an eye out though

Is that what you were looking for?

Buy an XG Gaming Case or PSU and you get a FREE MOD KIT http://www.xgbox.com/

Newegg carries the XG PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817167013
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby scottla » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:29 pm

ThEvil0nE wrote:I have some questions:
1. What's the recommended corrosion agent or inhibitor (water additive) for aluminum?
2. What type of water do you use? tap water? distilled? or Poland Spring water (which is not from Poland to begin with :lol: )?

Can't speak to #1, but for #2 it's distilled. Basically, you want no chance of sediment, precipitants (like salt or minerals) or biologics in the water. Distilled accomplishes this goal.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Thanx scottla. Maybe just good 'ol distilled water + coolant will do :?

Anyway, here I am stuck with choosing which chipset waterbock and gpu waterblock to buy. The NF4 chipset blocks are easy to find but waterblocks for ATI X850XT (X800 series) are so hard to come by and they can go as high as over $100 for chip/ram blocks :x

My choices are:
The Aqua Computer Aquagrati X800/850 - looks darn good and cools the memory too but only offers 3/8" tubing. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/ju ... 030691.jpg
Danger Den Acetal Maze4 - has 1/2" barb option for high flow (same size as my TDX block, tubing and pump) but I have to get ramsinks for the memory. One concern too is the low profile design. The tubing gets in the way. Some memory chips on the card is just impossible to place ramsinks. http://images10.fotki.com/v193/photos/4 ... Den-vi.jpg

Which one should I get :?:

About my broken pump, contacting the manufacturer for warranty is just stupid (so I'm throwing that out) I'll be getting a new pump, a single EHEIM pump as they run more quietly.
So for now, until I get everything I need (pump, chipset wblock and gpu wblock) I'm still stuck playing with this:

Yesterday I got soooo bored, so I went out and bought some ramsiks and here they are (circled in green):

...also bought cables and UV lightings:
ATA 133, floppy, SATA, dual 12" UV CFL and AS5
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59 am

A little progress goin on while still figuring out what waterblocks to get :x

I tinted the window two-way BLUE 8)

I screwd up a little (see top right corner of the window) :(

A quick look-see on how this will look with the blue tint. Took off the side panel on my other rig and placed the tinted window panel...

And here's how the case looks on the windowed side :wink:
Image LOL... I've never seen a tint so blue in my entire life :mb_laugh5::

Would RED LED fans be good??? :? What do you think? :idea:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:30 pm

Here's my water cooling design:

As you can see, the water flow design is not like the typical water cooling setup. In typical designs, the pump's head goes directly to the blocks which I see it as a design flaw. The pump generates heat as it takes alot of running time and with that, you are not supplying the coolest water in circulation possible. My design on the other hand, water blocks are supplied with the coolest water in circulation. The T/Y connector/splitter ensures all blocks gets water directly from the radiator. This is also the reason why I am opting for a dual pump or as I have desided, a single more powerful pump.

Anyway... what do you think of my design? :idea: :?:

UPDATES:
I already purchased the following:
Eheim 1250 for the single pump design in replacement to my dual pump design.
Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block with 1/2" barbs.
Also bought Antec Red LED Fans] with free UV red sleevings and heat shrinks.
And Deluxe Wire Sleeving Kit - UV Red

Now I stuck with which GPU block to get :(

I'm having problems choosing which one.
I'm choosing between:
The Aqua Computer Aquagrati X800/850 (3/8" barb) and the Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU plus I have to buy ram sink coolers for the memory. This is not low profile version, the low profile's tubing will be in the way of the memory.
The price difference between the two would be around $10-$20 (aquagrati will be the more expensive one).

I really need inputs from all you water cooling heads out there... what pros and cons between the two? :idea:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:27 pm

Parts ordered has arived:

Those antec fans comes with red UV sleeves... got them custom sleeved for free at http://www.performance-pcs.com You can choose any sleeve coolr you want 8) Their prices are low too... got my Eheim 1250 $10-20 cheaper :P

The EHEIM 1250 despite it's high capacity to move water, pump output 1200 l/h (317 U.S. gal/hour), is totally quiet and runs very very cool after running it overnight. Now that's one giant step into achieving a quite fanless water cooling system 8)
Last edited by ThEvil0nE on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 pm

Looking good!
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:25 pm

Are you sure all those Y connections will provide even water flow? I'm no fluids engineer, but it seems to me you may have some problems with this design unless you use smaller tubing in the split out areas that the main feeder tubes.

Also, any reason not to simply string them in line?
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:10 am

scottla wrote:Are you sure all those Y connections will provide even water flow? I'm no fluids engineer, but it seems to me you may have some problems with this design unless you use smaller tubing in the split out areas that the main feeder tubes.

Also, any reason not to simply string them in line?

The reason I was intending to use those Y connectors is to make sure all blocks are getting the coolest water possible. Making them in line (CPU-->chipset-->GPU) the moment the water reaches the last block the water is already the warmest (that's just what my common sense was telling me :roll: :o :lol: ). Main point is, I just want to make it (if and as much as possible) more efficient in taking that heat off on each blocks.

Right about now, the blocks I have are the cpu and chipset. The pump I'm using is the EHEIM 1250 (317 U.S. gal/hour output). I ran the unit with both blocks from a Y splitter and the flow of water (as I can see) is very decent. The very first time I ran the unit, I have to manipulate the flow comming out from the Y splitter (pinching the tube to impede flow so it can distibute evenly) and after the flow distribution is running even and all the air is bleeded, everything operates and flows just as planned.

I will have to see how it would work if I add another Y splitter for the gpu and chopset blocks. If I find that the flow isn't going to be adequate enough... then I would only use one Y splitter and the GPU and chipset would run inline.

So it woud be (from the Y splitter)...
rad-->CPU-->intake pump
rad-->gpu-->chipset-->intake pump
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby lilpaki » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:35 am

dunno if u already mentioned, but what cpu u gna be using? you gona try overclock it?
to build or not to build,
that is the question?
lilpaki
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification