TRIBALOVERKILL's Liquid Evolution, Reservoir_1

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Ok,... this is tiny. I'm working on it now. I am posting this because I am taking a little break to think about this before I go on any further.

Jan-01-2006

Here I am making little tabs for my mockup.

Mockup complete. This is the exact position of the tabs that will hold teh shields to the bands.

Here are the bands traced and ready to cut. I decided to go with the curved idea. I am goign to add the curve using additional shields. The tabs at the very ends of what you see here will be used to bolt those on.

I dont know what Im doing for those shields yet. I have an idea but still not sure. Anyways,... happy new year guys!!! OH,... it's Blackout's 1 year aniversary!!! Exactly one year ago,... I started her.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:19 am

This is more like a bulletin then a update. I was working on the mounting brackets last night,... I was in the process of folding the aluminum to make the tabs that will hold the shield to the reservoir when out of no where,... one of them snapped off. I bent it in the wrong direction a bit to much which ended up making it weak and it fell off. So now,............ I have to make a whole new one. The other bracket is fine. Tabs folded ready to be form around the reservoir. Yea. I am pissed. Can you tell? Now,... heres the real kicker. I got home this morning ready to hit the sop and get to work,... the shop was flooded. Water from outside makes its way in through teh garage door. The driveway slopes towards the house a bit so in comes the water. It will be raining all week. This is not goign to stop me,... but for today it is. I am tired and dirty. OH,... also, the vents in this house fills with water when it excessively rains like this. SO I spent the whole morning sucking up water. Dirty water. I will probably have to do it again when I get up later and most likely when I come home in the morning too. I will start working on the reservoir soon after I am done sucking up water tomorrow. Yea. This sucks. Remind me to find a studio on the figgin hill. Thank you. have a nice day. PEACE.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Robyn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:16 pm

Operating power tools while standing in water... um... be careful!
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ~Rob » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:53 pm

that really sucks, especially after all that work!

I'd suggest some sand bags for your water problems
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 pm

Everything is safe. We're talking about a puddle. LOL. Not new orleans:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:30 pm

Ok,.. this is what I have been up too.

Jan-09-2006

Here are the first mounts I made. Very beautiful. They would have worked but when I was bending the tabs for one of them,... one of them broke off. So,... I had to scrap it.
Image Image Image Image

Now,.... here the new brackets. Same thing except no tabs. Someone told me about thread-serts and rivet nuts. So for now on I will be using themn instead of bending tabs. Tabs use up to much time and material. I ordered the thread-serts and they should be here soon but,... I dont think that thread-serts are goign to be good for how I plan on using them for this. I have to do some testing. So far I think they will but I have to make sure its full proof. I'll explain in a minute. In this pic,... they are ready for wet sanding and polishing.

Polished. You see the 6 holes? Those are for the thread-serts. They, right now are only pilot holes. I will drill them wider when I get my thread-serts in.
Image Image

Here is an ACE thread-sert. I got it from ACE Hardware. It has 8-32 threads which is to big. I want 6-32. This is why I am not using them. Plus these are friggin expensive!!! 8 for like 6 bucks. I got 100 for like 20+ bucks, 30 something shipped. Anyways,... heres the bottom. The very top of the thread-sert is pulled inside the bottom porting of the sert. When it get pulled inside it expands the lower portion making it impossible to yank out. They come in one piece. When you start cranking it with teh proper size bolt,... the top snaps off from the bottom as its being pulled together. SO,... when its set,... it's actaully two pieces. One within another. I will get detailed photos when I actually use them for the mounts. My fear is that when I bolt the shields to this side,... that if I yank hard enough the inside piece will come out. But I doubt that. I want to rulle that out by testing them.

This is the top of it. Technically,... you are suppose to use this side when bolting anything down. Im using the other side because Im using the body of it as a spacer,... plus, this side is fairly flush. This side is goign to go again the reservoir. There will be some sort of foam or some material that will go over this to prevent scratching. I am going to sand this down some so its smooth. I have to be careful not to sand to much because if I sand the head off it will come out.

The set height is about 3/16" which is pretty much what I am looking for. This is goign to work out very well. Will look better then the tabs.

So,... I am goign to start working on the lower shields now. Hopefully thet serts will be here soon. Peace.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:38 pm

Update,... The reservoir is about 90% complete:) 10% more to go,...

Jan-11-2006

Heres the new thread-serts. They are smaller then the last. These have 6-32 threads and the OD is a bit smaller too. The head is also thinner:)
Image Image

You can see here that the head is thinner.

Here are the brackets with the pilot holes drilled out for the thread-serts.

Here,... I am bending the mounts over a smaller diamter pipe. This particular aluminum is very soft. The reason I and bending over this pipe with a hammer is because with the grooves cut out, there are areas that are stronger then others. The weaker areas will bend first. So I am banding the stronger areas over this pipe. Remember,... aluminum will always spring back some after being bent so the radius of the bend is going to be larger then what you used to make the bend. So this pretty much fit right over the reservoir.

Here I am using a scrap piece of tube from one of the past attempts at the reservoir. I used it to perfect the shape of the brackets. Bangin on it,... this acrylic is pretty shock resistant.

One completed bend.

You see where my finger is,... this is a strong point because there more material here then by one of the gooves. You have to becareful with that when you bend.

Heres one of the brackets pretty much done, with the bending that is. I will show you how I did it with the next bracket.

Rock:)

Done. Just has to be cleaned up a bit.

See the rubber washer. It allows you to bend the portion of the bracket a bit easier to make it easier to slide the reservoir in as oppose to the aluminum being bolted directly to itself.

Ok,... this is the second one. Heres how I did it. I tape off the are of wher I am going to bend to prevent as much scratching as possible.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Measured 3/8" for the bottom hole there. I am like 1/16" off, I wish I had bent it with a an extra 1/16 - 1/8" more but oh well.

Put the piece flush againt the table and used a ruler with a razor and cut the tape on the line.

Peeled all the tape away after the cut. This is my bend line.

Vised it and bent.

Here I taped off what I just bent and marked it's next bend.
Image Image

Bent. I have been using wood and a rubber hammer to keep from scrathcing up the aluminum.

Here I already bent the other side to match and I marked off the height of the those last bends. I am filing those down to size gettting ready for the last bend. Now,... I forgot to takea picture of how I got the last bend but what I did was I use a screw driver with a squared shaft. The width of the screw driver is pretty much what I need to so it worked out well. I vised the screw driver and bent the aluminum over it.

Last two bends made and I drilled a hole between the two so they can be bolted together.

Pretty much finished.

On the reservoir.

Here are the thread-serts. They are uncompressed.

Here they are set and ready to be used.
Image Image

The shields fit perfectly to the mounts. As Planned:)
Image Image Image [url=http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/albums/Nov-08-2005-Liquid-Evolution-Reservoir_1/Jan_11_2006_31_640.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:39 pm

I ground down the bolts to fit flush.

Reservoir in place. Its the old reservoir. It's not down so I didnt want to scratch up the new one. You have to hold thing thing in your hands to really appreciate this thing. You have to slide the reservoir in and out to get a feel of how accurate this thing is. Its beautiful.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Almost done with this reservoir.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Update:) Well,... it's a mock-up update really. Just tell me what you think of it?

Jan-16-2006

Image Image Image Image
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification