TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: Blackout

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 pm

DAVE185 wrote:Not sure if this has been asked, but is this your full time job now? It seems like you put a lot of work into this.

It's not full-time yet. I am hoping to be doing this full-time by no later then next year. As of now I try and spend several hours each day on top of my normal job. Once I start CEVO I'm going to nee to be doing this full-time. I want to do more LEVO too. Making more reservoirs and brackets, and all kind of stuff. I want to make any and everything possible to computers. Straight-up.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:53 pm

Hey guyz. sorry about the delay. I moved and I had no internet plus I was really busy. I still dont even have a decent net connect right now. I'm working on it. Here's a nice update for you mod junkies,...

Mar-28-2007 (Blackout)

Old pump tower.

I need the new one to reach from the top of the case to the bottom of the case. Thats long.

Large sheet of 5052 aluminum.

Jig sawing a piece off,...

Here's the peice after routering the edges to sizes and taping and drawing all the lines.

Long as hell.

Here a paper mock up of what I need.

Old pump tower with pumps.And a hose. Before I continue I need to figure out where on the new tower the pumps will be. I have to make sure they clear everything and they just look nice.

Now,... what I want to know is what the hell was I thinking before? I mean look how close these pumps are. The hose would of been right up on the old shields. I dont know. Maybe I didnt care. Well,... I care now so things are going to change.

Hmmm,....

Old shields. Whats the overal height of this thing or depth.

Uhhhh,.... I dont know. I cant tell you what the height was because I cant remember and you cant make it out in the pic,... just wanted to show you that I was measuring with a ruler.

The new shields or covers I want to look somewhat like the hdd rack covers. The old shields broke the whole look in my opinion. What I dont know about is whether of not I like the stacked look of the pump shields and the tower. How the shields sits on the surface like that,... leaving a seam. I dont like that.

Hmmmm,.... how long should I make it?!?! *ponders*

New pump covers. Notice all the numbers. It took me a good day to figure them out. I mean I was tired as hell and on any other day it would of took a lot less time but these numbers are for bending 1/16" aluminum over a specific pipe with a diameter of 1 - 11/16. This is how I know how long the sheet should be before bending. This is so that I can cut out all the design work and then bend knowing the after the bend the height and length will be right on. You just cant bend in this type of situation. Shut up tribal. Move on,...

WHAM! Works! Except I messed up the length. It's to long but all the numbers work! Dead on.
Image Image

Now,... I want this new tower to be narrower then the last one. About a 1/2" actually. To do this I have to cut away the teeth or whatever the hell they are on the pump rings. This is will save me more then a 1/4".

Done. This actually looks nice.
Image Image Image Image

Alright,... aluminum for the pump covers. I'm gluing them together so they can be cut together.

The tower and the covers.

The cover design. Notice the top hole is two circles. This is because that hole will be just in the bend. The bend will reshape the hole. I'm making the holes longer to accomodate the slight positioning into the bend. What you see there is and 1/8" offset. I changed it to 1/6"(gut told me to do it) and thats what was needed.

Tape cut away.

Pulled apart and filed.

Ready for bending.

Bending.

Damn thats good **** right there.

Thats just so perfect.
Image Image

You see that!!! exactly 4 - 5/8" long!!! Which means,...

Oh ****,... I though I took a pic of the height too? What the hell? Anyways,... the height was exactly 2-1/6". That **** is so on I was practically peeing on myself out of excitement. So! here are both of them! Practically the same!
Image Image Image Image

It's late as hell. I think I'll stay home fromthe studio today and go tomorrow. ****.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Hello boys and girls! My name is TribalOVERKILL! Today kids,... I'm going to teach you how to accidently cut of your finger! YAY!!! WHOA. I'm back. Don't know that the hell that was but ok:) Got an update! It's a tiny one though. But it's all good.

Apr-17-2007 (Blackout)

4,... 4" x 4-58" sheets of lian-li aluminum. They are paired. I'm using the old lian-li aluminum that was left over from when I cut out my a window for a v2000. That was before this case.

Ok. Here are the side shield panels for the pumps. Looks just like the HDD one except this one is a stubby version. I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out whether or not I want to use the same design and,.... I did. Want to try and keep the look going. It's all drawn out with tape cut away.

Center punched and step drilled up to an 1/8".

First one all cut out and now its time for the second one. This lian-li aluminum is a harder alloy then what I use. So it's takes a bit longer to cut because it's a bit more of a pain in the arse to cut. It's a bit thicker too.

Both all done with the scroll saw. Time for filing.

To save a little bit of time I used the table sander to shape what I could.

Not quite done filing yet but almost. I gave up. Was to tired to carry on.

I've been there in the studio from 3am till 4:30pm. Spent a lot of time just cleaning up the place. There was s@#$ everywhere! I also did some rearranging too. blue-fusion is going to be working in there too on his project. I pulled the table out from the wall so it can be used on both sides. I movedd all my tubes and stuff I had on that side of the table into the other room with the rest of the material. I like it now. More work room. Peace.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:13 am

PHEW!!! IM BACK AGAIN! Was busy. I got an email from Thadeez about sponsoring the casejunkies live case modding contest. he asked if I could dish out a custom reservoir trophy for the contest. So I did. Thats what I have been doing with my time. That and I had no connection to the net but networking PC's blows. Anyways,... more about the reservoir trophy in my levo log. But for now this is what I have been doing for blackout,...

Apr-19-2007 (Blackout)

Image Image

And there you have it! Isn't it GREAT! HA HA HA YEA!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:19 am

Ok! Here's a REAL update! I know this is the S@#$ you guyz really want to see,...

Apr-24-2007 (Blackout)

Skipping around a bit,... I made the brakets to hold the pump shields together,...

UV GREEN TIME! Here I'm molding a piece of uv green acrylic to the inside of the front pump shields.

Fun. HOT.

Drilled out the hose holes with a hole bit. You see the messed up looking hole? that hole is into the bend,... wasnt a good idea trying to pass the hole bit all the way through. It wasnt drill evenly because of the bend so when some of the bit passed through it caught the left over acrylic and spun that s@#$ out of my hands. It scared me:(

Good ole dremel to clean everything up nicely.

I tapered everything on the acrylic so you cant see it around the edges of the aluminum.

You see the tapered holes?

Time for the side shields,... i cut these pieces to just cover them.

Clamped the acrylic to the shield and drilled out the mounting holes.

I installed bolts to hold them all together for shaping and whatever,.....
Image Image

Took all of the panels to the table sander and sanded away the excess.

Next,...
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:26 am

A cool update!

Apr-26-2007 (Blackout)

I scroll sawed all the little details out.

Everything sanded down nicely.

LIT UP!
Image Image Image Image Image Image

With a little bit of light in the room. The shields havent bneen polished yet. I want to finish the new pump tower first.
Image Image Image

Ok,... so today I will be going to the studio and I will be there all night working on this. I will be working on the new pump tower so I shold have some more good photos for you guyz to droool over. Peace out.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:06 am

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Damn. I slept most of the night in the studio. Was so tired. I didnt get enough sleep before I went. But when I did wake I did get some done.

Apr-29-2007

Here are the bracket I made insalled the to the front shield.

Looks cool.

Here's a pic of the brackets being way the hell off! How this happened I dont know,...

You see how high up the front shield is with the side shields? Its suppose to be down a bit more then that. Maybe by an 1/8". I have to make new brackets. Damn.
Image Image

New brackets. Cut, filed, and sanded.

Bent.

Threadserts installed.

Ok. You see the difference now? The one on the left is the right one and the one on the right is the wrong one.

Big difference.

All fixed.
Image Image Image

Next time I got to the studio I will be working on the tower.
[/COLOR]
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue May 08, 2007 6:04 am

Hey guyz. Just a small update. Sorry, but I have been spending much time in the studio the last several days. Been working at the hospital. I'm trying to atleast get my bills caught up. I'll be doing some more doubles at the hospital this week. Probably during a weekday and on friday. This way I can spend all day and night in the studio on saturday and monday. Anyways,... check it out.

May-07-2007

Was just playing around here,... been trying to design some kind of logo for myself. This one came to mind. I think it's cool because you can easily see the "T" and the "O" is the shielding around it. Its basicallt a sphere in teh center where the outer sphere is sectioned apart in the shape of a "T". what you think? I have to show you how I cut that circle of acrylic out too. I'll do that later though.
Image Image

Ok. Pump tower. This is pretty much it. Nothing big when it comes to designs. I didnt want to over do it like I did the last time. It will be polished out so it will do a lot of reflecting of other design work. So you will see green on it but from another component.

A new method of fastening the pumps down. I know the pics dont tell much at all but you'll see when it comes together.

Everything cut out except for the grooves.

Here's the hole close up. I need a way to fasten from the outside as oppose to the inside like the last mounting method. This is going to work nicely and it going to look good too. Even though it wont be seen. Anyways,...

This just looks very cool to me. It's like an cardboard box except its aluminum. I mean if you think about it,... it is an aluminum box. IT going to be rivited to the case. This is why I need to fasten the pumps from the outside.

This is all I got for now. As soon as I have more I will update right away. Thanks guyz! PEACE!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 12, 2007 1:20 pm

Update,...................

May-12-2007

See the little notch thing,... its to shallow. I dont know what I was thinkin. Geez. I hate moments like this,...

The notch as to be showing around the pump.

This is how long they need to be. If I realized this the first time around I would of done it differently. But this is fine.

See the holes or notches,..
Image Image

I cut out the rest of the detailed work.

Drilled the mounting bracket holes mounting holes. lol.

Dear A.C Ryan, Along with all the tools and machines I asked for,... I would also like a kitchen. With a little oven or toaster and one of those tiny fridges. I would benefit from it greatly. Thanks!

Mounting holes for the shields drilled,...

Bending the old but good way,... with a hammer. Apparently my POS brake is a POS!!!! I even braced the part that swings with angle iron and it still bows! It is absolutely worthless to me!

As you can see,... using a hammer works just fine. It just takes a bit longer. I really need a heavy duty brake.
Image Image Image Image Image

My new love,...

The heavier duty bending brakes,... have any of you actually usd one to easily bend 1/16" aluminum? I mean,... I want a brake that seriously bends 1/16" aluminum.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 am

So I was going to spend all night in the studio on saturday but didnt. I was actually there just long enough to screw up the pump tower. Yup. Here's what happened,...

May-13-2007

Here's the tower almost completely bent to its finished form.

I didnt finish bending it all the way because is busted. It was hard as hell to bend! I mean damn! If you look closely in the pic here,.. you can see the corner is cracked. This is from striking the tower with a hammer during the bending process. The end of each side being bend was vibrating. Vibration being a very tiny tiny sway back and forth. Everyone knows whats happens to matel when you bend it back and forth enough times,... it gets weak and breaks. In this case the corners cracked. So the tower is worthless to me at this point.

The tower isn't even straight. It's all crooked and s@#$. I need to meaken the area of the bend to make it easier to bend.

Here's what im going to do. Up until now I have been using the dremel with a cut off disc to remove some material on the bend line to make it a bit esaier to bend. Well,... that wasnt enough. Using the dremel is sloppy means of doing what I really want to do. That being,... by milling out the bend line. Thinning it out. In the pic you see lines. They are actually grooves. I used a drill bit to cut these grooves believe it or not. I used the drill press.

Like so,...

The result,... MUCH BETTER! Actually it's 10 times better! It bent very quickly and very easily. The bend it straight as hell and its crisp and clean. So slick looking.

This is the tower bend. You see how the tower bend is more rounded and sloppy looking?
Image Image

The new bend again. This is what I have to do to make this tower.

I am seriously thinking about using steel very soon. I am thinking that I will use a thinner gauge steel to make stuff like this. I would want a thin as possible without being to weak. Either that or maybe using a slightly thinner aluminum? It would be weak though. Maybe a thinner but stronger alloy aluminum? But if I used a harder aluminum alloy I would most likely have to heat it to bend it seeing the harder stuff tears more easily while bending. I am thinking a thin steel for enclosures and cover etc.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification