TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: Blackout

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Hey. Been sick. I caught a bug from the hospital. Was out many days. Lost some weight,... it's just been nasty over here. I went the the studio the other day and did some work. I pretty much finished the new fan box. So I am where I lefted off.

Feb-23-2007 (Blackout)

Here's both the front and rear of the box all drawn out and ready for cutting.

I thought I would cut out the new shields for levo too. Shortly after trying to cut them I gave up beause I forgot how much longer it takes to cutt through anything aluminum over 1/16" thick. I'll finish them another time.

Here they are cut and bent. Perfect this time.
Image Image Image Image

HEre's the old insert. You see how it's an 1/8" to long on one side and 1/8" short on the other? This means I can salvage this. Would save me time. All I have to do is re-heat it and bent it in it's new shape.

This is how it's suppose to fit.
Image Image

Front cover on.
Image Image Image

See how it fit flush now? Thats what was wrong with the last one. While playing with this thing it gave me some ideas I want to try later on down the road,...
Image Image

So yea. I didnt go to the studio today because I am weak. I am trying to gain back my strength and weight. I haven't really eaten for days. Been puking my brains out. I'm going tomorrow though:) I think I can mount this thing tomorrow? We'll see. I started watermarking my photo's as you can see. Not to big and in your face but a little something something. I can't remember whether or not I told you guyz this but acryan approved all my metal fab tools and machines. So I am waiting to get some loot for that stuff. Thats when I start working on cevo too. I'm really going to have to bust my ass now because I have blackout, levo, and cevo to work on. I will work on this stuff as much as possible. You'll have to check yourself to see which one I worked on. Whatelese? My home page is like still under construction. Little spam bots are getting in. I'm tired of deleting them. We're going to beef up the page. Sorry about that. Ok,... I'm going to eat now. Bye.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:48 pm

It just keeps on getting better and better. Feel better and when those machines come... I would definetly swing by you this time around and play with em :D
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:21 pm

This is what I did like a day ago? I'm just posting now because I was to busy to do it earlier. I didnt get much done because of the fat that I spent most of the time thinking. Before I cut a hole in the case for the fan box spout I want to mount it first to make sure that it's where I want it to be. Mounting it isnt all that easy either. I have to make sure that it clears on both sides and I need to make brackets to mount the bottom of the HDD rack to the bttom pf the case. So here's what I got done.

Feb-25-2007 (Blackout)

First,... mounting the top of the rack. When I made this rack is was a while ago. I think at that time I had planned on mounting it with bolts. Why? I dont know. What I do know is that the mounting holes I drilled in the rack are to big for the rivets I want to use soooooo this is what i'm going to do. You see the little rectangular pieces with the holes drilled in them. I am going to use those to mount the rack with the rivets. The rivets can hold 3/16" total. Thats perfect seeing that with these little things I made, the rack and the 5.25" bay floor,... thats 3/16"! Perfect. They wont be seen at all. I'm cool with that.

Drilled the mounting holes in the 5.25" bay.

So perfect. A perfect fit.

Just two rivets in place.

Snug. Nice.
Image Image

I was going to go to the studio tonight but I just found out that it is snowing like crazy outside. I would usually jump all over driving in the snow but the tires on my truck are crap and I would probably wreck trying to get there. Soooo,... im not going. I'm going to wake up bright an early and go get tires. After that I am going to shoot to the studio and get to work. In the meantime,... seeing that I'll be home I am will work on my photo gallery that I started building on my site. I started with blackout seeing it has the most photo's and the most dead links. Every pic I take will be posted in the gallery. Just pics though. No comments. I am going to try and sit down and think up some rules for that tribal contest I have been talking about throwing too. So yea. Stay tuned for that. Peace and be safe.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:43 pm

I'm late! Posting this update crazy late. Fire me.

Feb-28-2007 (Blackout)

More fitting and positioning.

Trying to make sure everything is straight. Everything is slightly bend out of shape. Nothing really noticable but when you put it all together is might just end up way out of shape. So I have to figure out what needs adjusting.

You see the lip of aluminum on the floor of the case. I need to avoid that when making my brackets for mounting the hdd cage.

So far everything looks straight as hell.
Image Image

There the lip of aluminum in the back. Argh.
Image Image Image

Wham. Brackets. How do they look? Ok right? How you like this pic? Not bad for taking it using my mouth! LOL. Actually blue-fusion stopped by to hang for a bit.

Very nice.

My boy blue-fusion.

He'll be stoppin by more often,...
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:02 pm

This update is late too. *Runs and hides*

Mar-04-2007 (Blackout)

Ok. finished the brackets and riveted them. That looks cool.
Image Image Image

Inside the case. Fits ever so snug. I love it.l
Image Image

The holes I drilled for the two rear brackets.

Of course! Just my luck! I knew I was going to drill through this wheel thing but damn! I couldnt drill completely though it,... I had to drill the damn edge! ARGH! It's ok. I can fix this.

WHA LA! Nothing a round bastard(file) couldnt fix.

OH YEA. Thats so nice.

Ok! Everything is in place! All rivets in but not fastened. Everything fits perfectly! HOT!

Rivets under the case.

Side shots.
Image Image

Cut out the fan box hole using the good ole dremel.
Image Image

This is where I left off. I'm going back today to work on this.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:50 am

HELLO! HI! My name is tribalOVERKILL! How you doing on this lovely day!

Mar-05-2007 (Blackout)

Fan box cover complete! With spring bolt fastener thingies!
Image Image

I had to make them flex like this because I couldnt get the cover in with the regular stiff bolt thingies. These are much cooler anyways. The cover is actually pretty easy to install and remove!

Installed. I am hoping they make bolts like this one with a nicer head. A hex head maybe.

Underside looking in,...

Now I need to dress up that hole. Here's something I was playing around with,...
Image Image
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:59 am

So the little something I was playing around with before turned out to be ehhhh. So,.....

Mar-07-2007 (Blackout)

I started with this,...

Dremeled some grooves for easy bending.
Image Image

Tape off.
Image Image

WHAM! The reason I say "WHAM!" or whenever you see "WHAM!", this means that I forgot to take photo's. I get so lost in my work that I forget. Sorry. Here it is! How hot is that! there is something I am not liking about it,... I can make this look better but i'm not because it's small and stupid and I have tons of more stuff to do to finihs this case sooooo moving on.
Image Image Image

Hole before,...

Hole after,...

Now what about the underside of the hole?

You understand where I'm going here?

How about now?

And now?

How about now?

And now?

What about now?

Now?

I bent all the tabs over. Here I'm using a tack hammer to smash the corners together so they look nice and round.

How about now?

Yeeeeeeea. You see where I'm going with this.
Image Image Image

Such a small piece but oh so nice. This has to be one of the finest pieces I have made. Reason being because it's so small.

On the case. It's not done. still have to sand away some height seeing that it's touching the wheel. I might go ahead and raise the wheels some too.
Image Image Image

The filter material will be pressed in place. Easily removed and cleaned:)
Image Image Image

Two pieces together.

Two pieces together with fan box.

so yea. Tell me what you think.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:26 pm

I made the top piece again. It looks so much better but hot damn was it a bit harder this time. Reason being because I made the hole a slit something to big. It was like next to nothing but still enough to keep that thing from sliding in.

Mar-08-2007 (Blackout)

First. Went a bought some angle steel. Going to use these as dollies for forming small metal stuff.

Here's the new piece. Notice I did not cut the corners this time. I want to try and mold the tabs without having to cut the corners. I want the tabs be to continuous.

Here it is cut out. I rounded the corners differently this time. Looks much better.

Here I start bangin the tabs through.

Using a piece of stell as a peg or something to shape the aluminum.

Ehhhh, so it didn't work. As you can see the corners tore. They didnt even test nicely. Cant use this piece anymore. I bet I could do it with heat though. I dont feel like doing that right now though.

So I made ANOTHER one. This time I cut the corners but just a little. The one on the left is the new one. See the difference? The old one you can see the cut corners. I didnt like that.
Image Image

Old.

New.

Sweet.

New one in place.
Image Image

Other side of hole.

Grill in place.
Image Image

I'm tired. Going to bed. If I can that is,.... thanks for the monster blue! LOL.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:07 am

Phew. 14 hours straight in the studio. Thats not a long time but it is or atleast it felt long. Got a lot done though! Check it out.

Mar-11-2007 (Blackout)

I drilled mounting holes and polished the pieces.

Installed thread-serts to the bottom piece.

Using a 6-32 tap to clean out the threads. I used a hammer to install the thread-serts. I really mashed them in there good. By pounding on them like this, the openings close a bit.

The two pieces bolted together. They line up perfectly. Took me a while to do this. I didnt want to screw it up.
Image Image

Mounted to the case with filter in place.

Have to cut these bolts down a bit.

I sanded the bottom piece down a bit. It's a lot thinner now.

From the inside.

With fan box.

That just looks to cool.
Image Image

Now. I need some wheel spacers for a bit extra clearence with that grill thingy I made. Soooooo,... going to use UV green acrylic. got these two peices from my scrap bin. Glued them together so they can be cut at the same time.

Used the router to cut a straight edge. Easy.
Image Image

Used the scroll saw to cut off the excess.

Routered the rest of the edges.

Going to cheat/ take a short cut. I clamped the wheel base to the acrylic pieces and I am goign to use that to drill my holes. Going to drill the holes by hand so I will DEFINITELY need to step drill to prevent the acrylic from breaking.

After I finished the holes I polished the edges. I want as much light pouring through as possible.

All done. Well,.. not quite.

Filing away the acrylic wher eI filed away the aluminum. Easy.

Installed.

Lights out.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lots of clearence now.

So nice.

Took the tape off of the fan box. I have to clean this fan box up a bit. Ehhhh,... I'll do that later.
Image Image Image

Through the grill and lit up.

Hot.

SUPRISE! How many of you were waiting for this?
Image Image Image Image Image Image

So,... I think I will be working onthe pump tower now. I dont think there is anything else I can do for the 5.25 bay right now. Pump tower it is. The Blackout gallery on my page is complete or up to date. Every photo I took of this project is posted there. I'm going to post the other worklogs for LEVO soon.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Not sure if this has been asked, but is this your full time job now? It seems like you put a lot of work into this.
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification