TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: Blackout

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Ok,... I didnt get anything done in the studio the other day because I didnt go. I never got out of bed. Yea. I was so damn tired. Hospital is running us ragged. I can't wait to cut down there so I can spend more time in the studio. I couldnt even do any designing while I was at work because they had me working on the one of the worst floors. Anyways,... I was having trouble figuring out what I wanted to do with this portion of the HDD rack. Do I want to create a compartment in which teh fan can draw air from teh outside or just make a shield to cover the fan and make it look nice?!?!?! I really wanted to just make a shield but I had my heart set on drawing air from the outside. So,... thats what I'm going to do. Need a compartment that will do the job, look nice and will hold together without welding. Hmmm,... watch and learn,...

Feb-01-2007 (Blackout)

Here's what I want. It's two pieces. a front and a back. The back get bolted down with the fan. The front piece get bolted to the front of the fan. Both pieces fit flush. I wanted to try and round this thing but I cant really do that because of how the front cover is mounted. If I round the front cover a bit,... it will cover or over hang the side of the HDD rack. I dont want to cover any of the side of the HDD rack. So an absolute box it is. But it's ok,... because the pump tower is boexed too. They will compliment each other.

Went to an arts and craft store and found some CHIPBOARD. I didnt know whats it was called. Now I do. I got 2 big ass sheets for like 2 bucks each. I'm going to look online for this stuff. I want to buy it in bulk.

Heres the front all drawn out.

Front cut out. I took the razor and cut on the lines where I'm goign to bend to make it real easy to bend. Have to be careful not to cut all the way through. Just cut the very surface.

Done.
Image Image

Very nice,...

Very nice,... I like.

F@#$. How the hell?!?! 3/4" to short? LOL. Thank god it's only a mock up. LOL. Whatever,... I'll super glue on an extension. he he he. lordy.

Back piece cut out,...

Look at that! Whos the man!
Image Image

Flush. Of course,... doing this with the aluminum is going to be harder. Thats because it's thicker and I have to compensate for a bit of stretching.

Not worried about it sealing perfectly. This is not a precise high vacuum area. This is just fine.

Now I have to figure out what design to cut out of it. I want the one side to continue the look of the HDD rack and maybe have to other continue the look of the above LED cover.

Heres how the back will fit on.

And then the front,...
Image Image Image

what you think so far? You know whats funny,... this case really has no plans whatsoever. For those of you who have been following this thing from the very begining,... you would know this. I have been kind of just making S@#$ up as I go. LOL. It's really funny actually. I myself,... dont even know what this thing is going to look like when it's done. I have an idea but who knows! LOL. Blackout is kind of like my "drawing board" that I use to exercise my design sense. you know? Anyways,... till next time. Going to try and get some work done on fri but I doubt it. I will probably end up just drawing and planning some more for this thing. I'll try and post something though. Going to get some work done on sat though. Sun I'll be in there and I will spend all of mon in there, day and night.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:11 pm

OMG! You have to see this! I didnt get to spend a LOT of time in the studio but I did get several hours in. But within those several hours I made the back portion of this compartment and it is FRIGGIN FLAWLESS!!! I can't believe to it came out so well. I mean there was like 2 mishaps but,... just read a see. 40 pics! LOL!

Feb-02-2007 (Blackout)

Taken a shortcut. Before I use to razor a line on the aluminum and then file to that line and then make all my measurements from that straight edge. Wll this time,... I used the ruler and the router:) Done in seconds:)

Router cuts through it like butter. nice and straight.
Image Image

I cut out the general size from the larger sheet after cutting the one side of the larger sheet straight. Now im going to do the same thing for all the sides.

You cant see it in this pic but the edge is lined with tape on on that tape was a line. I split that line in half with the router. Seriously.

All sides straight as hell.

400 grit wetsand on both sides.

Polished?!?!? Having trouble trying to figure out the whole polishing thing. In this pic,... it looks kind of hazy right? Well,... thats because it is! LOL. I tried using the table grinder the way I use to do it. Wasn't coming out right. So I rigger the buffing wheel up to the drill press and ran the wheel at a slower speed and thats what you see in the pic. It's good because there are no buffing marks. But there are tiny little scratches giving the hazy look. After that I threw one buffing wheel on the table grinder because last time I had three of them together on it. It worked great. I think you just have to keep clean the wheel and only use one wheel to do your final buffing. I didnt get a pic of it all super shiny but the you'll see the final product in a bit.

Ok,... taped off the aluminum to protect the surface. I marked my lines and cut away the tape.

Notice the double lines. This is where the bend is going to be. I'm going to cut away some material within the double lines to get rid of the pinch point. It will bend nicely. I did this for the brackets for the xPO/ sPL order.

Cut everything out and now im filing it all down nicely. God I miss this.

Stupid camera,... all nice and even. Lovely.

All done and ready for the removal of materail for bending,... hmmm?

Yes,... I useda dremel for this task. Had nothing else to do it with. It worked nicely but very inaccurate. didnt like it.

Bending the tabs fost. Bending towards the grooves I cut. I uses my hands to bend this entire piece. It was still a bit hard but I'm strong:) I got it. It did bend a lot easier because of the grooves. No doubt about that.

All tabs bent.

Now because the aluminum springs back a bit I wasn't able to bend the tabs at 90 degrees becauase of the fact that the bending jig whatever was 90 degrees. It would have to less for me to achieve the 90 degree bend the first time soooooo,.... I'll bend them a bit more by hand. You put the tab FLAT on a surface and push down hard foucing all that pressure on the bend and not the tab. While doing that you bend a little until you reach your degree. If you just try and push the tab it will bend and wont bend at the,..... bend?!?!? LOL. Make sense? LOL.

There all tabs at 90 degrees.

After doing the same thing to bend all the sides,... this is what you end up with. How cool is that! Look how perfect it is.
Image Image Image Image

Off with the tape!!! How friggin nice is that! OH,... forgot to mention that I marked and cut this thing on the wrong side. So the buffed surface is on the inside instead of the outside. Thats ok because I just went ahead and buffed the other side, tee hee. It looks great but does it fit! Ho s@#$?!?!?
Image Image Image

It's good!!! IT'S GOOOOOOOOD!!! Oh my god it's good. This thing fit better then I though it would! It fits like a glove! All the first shot too! My measurements were on! Even my 1/16" bending factor worked. thats cool.
Image Image Image

Fan in place.
Image Image Image

!!!

Wait a tic,... oh s@#$. That lip isn't suppose to be there! DAMN! I mixed these two measurements up. Was suppose to measure 1" fromt eh back not the front. Oh well,... have to start all over.

This is the way it's suppose to be,...

!!!

Taped it up again. the piece you see exposed needs to be cut away.

Lucked out. The scroll saw fit nicely in there. It's in it's top most position so it will clear.

All better. Thats how it's suppose to fit.

Oh yea. flush.

So nice. You see the top right hole. It's messed up a bit right? Tjhats from not drilling a pilot hole first. Pilot holes people! Key.

Damn,... that was a crazy number of pics. Phew. It's looks like I'm going to be able to go back to the studio tonight. I'll start and finish the front piece. Well,... depending. The front is going to have deisgn work cut out of it. I have to figure out what I want for teh design. I am was thinking about making another of that LED cover window thing on the one side of the front cover for this thing. I need to atleast make another one of the LEd window things. I cant say I really like that window thing though. what do you think?
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Ok,... here's what I'm going with,...

Image Image

You like? OH! I forgot my camera at the studio when I came home the other day so I was not able to update:( So when I go today and come home tomorrow there will be two updates. The first one is somewhat small but still nice. Today I plan on getting a lot of work done! So this is going to be a huge update.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:47 am

Ok,... a very late update. I forgot my camera at the studio when I left the next day. So her it is. It's very small but kind of cool,...

Feb-03-2007 (Blackout)

Here's what going to be the other piece or ront piece of the fan box. I got a much better shine this time around. There are still some light light scratches on it from sanding but they can be hardly noticed. This plate is literally a mirror. Later on down the road I want to figure out how to get thee most perfect shine! I need something softer to buff with.

Taped the whole thing off to protect the finish. i really need to get some paper mask. I dont really like using the tape like this. I need paper mask.

I finished drawing out the pattern in which to cut and fold.

I added the holes for mounting and the holes to hold the lower box thing together. Rivet holes.

A small stupid update. Check out the next update,... it's much better.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:54 am

Ok,... this update is cool. check it out.

Feb-05-2007 (Blackout)

Here's the design I went with. Just like in the pics of the paper mock-up but I switched the number of grooves around on each side. I like it this way better. Before it seemed like there was tomuch on one side. I think you'll like it this way too. I drew the design out on the aluminum and cut away the tape. Looks cool with the shiny aluminum pooring though.

Drilled all my holes.

Everything here is cut out and filed nice and smooth. It was fairly quick with filing because I was cutting right up next to the line,... cutting hairs, literally. So thats less to file.

First bend. How nice is that! It was a lot harder to bend because there's more to bend with this piece. I had to use a board to bend it. Also,... I wasn't able to cut the bending grooves as deep because my dremel crapped out on me. I fixed it though.

Look at that bend! So nice.

Next! Hot.

Look how dead on that is! I love it! You see the paper towel? You see how its rolled like that? Thats to focus the pressure on that specific area to bend that piece in a bit more.

The paper towel wraps around to keep from scratching the piece.
Image Image

All done. All is bent and holy s@#$ is it dead on! I measured everything and it's exactly what I planned! Dead on.
Image Image Image

Here you go! No tape. Riveted. Done.

How cool is that!
Image Image Image Image Image

The grooves on the fan box match the grooves on the front of the HDD shield.

Uhh so yummy.
Image Image

Matches LED panel nicely. I'm thinking about going back and sanding/ polishing all of the old stuff I have done. What you think? That includes,... the radiator enclosure.

This isn't cardboard. It's going to be the UV green insert that will light up all the detailed work of the fan box.

The tape is color coded so I know what color tape I'm using. Here I am done marking the UV green acrylic.

Just like the aluminum I scored a groove where it's going to be bent. I wanted to see how well it works seeing it works nicely with the almuminum.

I need a nice smooth surface to bend this acrylic over so I broke out a thin sheet of zinc and the brake bender.

Clamped and ready to bend.

The brake bender SUCKS! It did such a $%^!@# job! Look at that bend. Not the angle but the bend,... you see how off it is! The problem is that the part of the brake that does the bending it bowing out while bending something. Because of the bowing it is not bending my work nicely. It's crap. When I get the TIG i'm going to re-enforce the brake so it doesnt bow. We'll see what happens after doing that. Also,... I want to weld my own bending JIG/ surface too.

So yea. I would have more pics but,......... I broke the UV green insert. Yup. While filing it in the vise, it fell out and hit the floor. then the 2x4 that was in the vise holding the insert in the vise fell on top of it, cracking it. Can you believe that? Well,... as soon as im done post this and after I get something to eat, I'm going back to finish this thing. I don't need sleep.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Wyv001 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:22 pm

ha. Nice one dude. 8)
Wyv001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:13 pm

Wyv001 wrote:ha. Nice one dude. 8)

WOOT!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:52 pm

PHEW! I'm so tired. I spent so much time in the studio the last 2 days. I slept several hours in the studio too. I need to get a couch or something up in there! Anyways,... CHECK IT OUT!

Feb-06-2007 (Blackout)

My little bending jig/ setup. A piece of 1/8" aluminum that I ran through the router to cut nice straight and sharp edge to bend over. I clamped that to the table. Then I cut off a piece of the chipboard and scored a straight line on it and then bent the chipboard on that scored line so it folded in half. I place that over the aluminum so it over hung the table like so. I taped it to the aluminum. I then taped the acrylic to the chipboard having the the very edge of the chip board right on the bend line of the acrylic. I did this so right after heating I can just place the wood ontp and begin bending/ holding as oppose to lining it up making sure it's straight yadda yadda. Seconds count. This stuff cools off kinda quick. The chipboard make a nice smooth surface of the hot acrylic to lay upon.
Image Image

Bent. See how nice,...

Look at that bend. Thats cool.

Very straight, very clean. Very nice.

Slid right in after it cooled. Still need some sanding to get it all to fit just right.
Image Image Image

Lit. The acrylic hasnt been sanded for the dust finish yet.

Together and lit. I believe it's dusted in these upcoming pics,...
Image Image Image Image

Connected to the HDD rack.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lights on.
Image Image Image Image

I need a maid. Seriously. Look at this mess. Who's going to clean this up!?!?!?

Oh my,....

Oh wow,... yea. Dirty. I'm going to call my mommy,...

WALLPAPER - 1600x1200
Image Image
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm pissed and tired. Well,... I'm pissed because I am tired. I went to the studio today and messed up this piece that I was working on because I was working tired. Damn. I really need to fix my damn bending brake. I'm going to do that tomorrow. I have off.

Feb-10-2007 (Blackout)

So I went to a local store to get some kind of sanding block or blocks. I wanted something to better create a dust finish on my acrylic. I got several different types.

These are neat. One is 220grit and the other is 400grit. It's like a mat and you sand with it. I used the 400 on the acrylic insert for the fan box and it came out great. Only thing I dont like about these sanding mat thingies is that they easily get chewed up if say you were to sand by an edge or something. The edge like tears away the mat sponge thingy.

Cool ehh? Expensive too. like $6.00 for 3 of these little pads.

This is what I'm making. Yes,... it's already made and sitting right there in the pic. It's sloppy as hell though. It's even more sloppy then I though when I started taking measurements off it. Lordy what was I thinking!

Cutting off a piece that I will use.

See the two lines? You'll see what it for is a second.

REal quick,... fan insert,... so cool.

All cut and ready for sanding and polishing. You see the lip on the one side? Thats the those two lines were for. I routered all of the first line and then routered the second line up to the perpendicular line.

Now,... here's the messed up product. What happened was that the four holes on teh largest surface were off by like a 1/16"?!?! They were off because the bend was a bit wide. Which offest the holes by a bit. NOW,... stupid me didnt realize that I could have effortlessly moved the 5.25 bay walls over to match the holes! For all I know I was dead on and the bay walls were off!!! But all I knew was that they were off. I had it stuck in my mind that everything would match up just by placing it in postion. Everything did except those holes. So what I do? I tried squaring off the the bend a bit more. Which turned into a hammer fest,... started beating teh S@#$ out of it. It started losing it straightness and that was it. I gave up. Totally lost the point. the perfectness wasnt there. so yea.
Image Image Image

So tomorrow I have off. Going to get some sleep and then go to the studio. I want to re-enforce my bending brake and use that to make this bend. All my measurments were on it just that the bend was slightly off. I want to cut the bend groove a bit deeper to make it a bit easier to bend and I bet I'll nail it. I want to have this thing mounted inside case tomorrow. I want to the LED cover sized down a bit and I think I want to start the new pump tower too. We'll see what happens.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:03 am

DAMN IT! Your not going to believe this,... I remade the piece I messed up or though I messed up and it came out fine. But now! Now,... the fan box is totally f@#$ed up! I have to remake the whole damn thing! Can you believe that! All because I missed one little measurement! An 1/8"!!! DAMN! OMG,... I have show much to do now,...

Feb-12-2007 (Blackout)

Here's the piece I remade. It came out perfect.

You see the rivets perfectly placed in their holes? Fits nicely.

Flush on the VFD side.

Heres there LED side.

Here's the problem. The fan box front cover doesnt fit on the back portion with the fan in place. It fit without the UV insert but with the UV insert in there,... it doesn't.

You see how the fan sits flush witht he back portion of the fan box. There needs to be an 1/8" lip there so the UV insert can slide in. The only way to fix this problem without remaking,... is cutting off that side of the UV insert which is out of the question,... and cutting away an 1/8" from the fan which is also out of the question. So I'm screwed! Damn. I have to train myself to sniff out s@#$ like this early. To think think think think think first before I do do do. Damn,... I can't believe this! ARGH!

I'm going to shower and go get rid of some of this anger at the gym. I'm goignto sleep right after and see about going right back to the studio to start over:( Might give away this fan box:) I mean it's shot but I'm sure you modders will think of something to do with it:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification