Dual power supply mod

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Dual power supply mod

Postby Wyrm73 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:54 pm

I mentioned my mod on another thread and promised pictures when it was done. It took a while but here they are.

I took an old server size AT case and modded it to fit two power supplies. I am building a Linux project box with several old SCSI drives I had laying around. I needed the extra space of the server case and I did not have enough power connections for five drives with a standard power supply. Amazingly, both power supplies fit in less space than the original 230 watt unit!
ImageImage

To bad I can't use it yet...I fried the mobo when I miswired the power switch. :oops: I have replaced the mobo with the only other spare board I had. It has "issues" and I have been short on time lately so it is not operational as of this writing.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:57 pm

Very nice! Please keep us informed as to the progress. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:59 pm

Are you wiring both power supplies to the single switch?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Wyrm73 » Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:16 pm

Yes, I spliced the wires to both power supplies through a single switch. The case has one of those heavy-duty switches like the original IBM AT machines, so it can handle both with no problem.

I just ordered a new slot 1 AT form factor mobo so I going to use that 500 MHz PIII I have lying around. Much better than the old 200 MHz Pentium I was going to use. 8) I should get it next week. I also had to rob the CD-ROM to get another machine running, but I will replace that too and hopefully have this beast runnning soon.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby White Raven » Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:55 am

Here, this would be easier but more expensive:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/ ... /index.htm
-White Raven
White Raven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:07 am

That was the whole point....CHEAP. :wink: I was also trying to put some of my acccumulated clutter to work and at the same time build a box to play with Linux on. Unfortunately, I used the motherboard to build a computer for a friend and then the box got kicked out into the storage shed due to space constraints. My advice: never let your wife go furniture shopping by herself.
"Did you measure it, honey?"

"No, I'm sure it will fit."

Next thing you know my computer desk has been condensed to my laptop on More Spam Vomit. :evil: I will be moving soon and hopefully Frankenstein will be resurected then.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby White Raven » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:49 pm

Wyrm wrote:...hopefully Frankenstein will be resurected then.

Nice choice of words.
-White Raven
White Raven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby sum1sp3cial » Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:01 am

how did you manage to put the two power supplies together? i have to get rid of my AT power supply and am going to buy two smaller ATX supplies. My case is exactly the same as yours. thanks.
.............................rhysp3ct...........................
Strange that we all defend our wrongs with more vigor than we do our rights.
sum1sp3cial
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:17 am

If you look carefully at the picture on the left, I just enlarged the original opening to accomodate the second power supply. By enlarging the hole I was only able to get three screws on each power supply, but they both seem plenty solid. I still have the template I used if you want it.

As for the wiring, I spliced both through a single switch as I said before. I only hooked up the motherboard power connecter from one of the power supplies.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby sum1sp3cial » Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:04 am

oh yes, i understand now...
Is there a limit to the voltage you wanna be sending through to your mobo? probably depends on type of mobo your using doesnt it?
anyway... thanks for the help... ill go and zap myself a couple of times with my new power supplies.........cooool
.............................rhysp3ct...........................
Strange that we all defend our wrongs with more vigor than we do our rights.
sum1sp3cial
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to System Modification