Can I change the LED on an optical mouse?

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Can I change the LED on an optical mouse?

Postby greytrains » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:13 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to change to color of the LED on an optical mouse :?:
Last edited by greytrains on Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby punktx » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:45 pm

http://hw.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/logomouse/index_eng

This is a nice site...surf around.......but on this page^^ if u scroll down you'll see how he did it..im thinking of doing mine too.....but first i want to make the glowpad, then the keyboard then that.....

what i did to do all this you ask???

TIME!
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Felius Digitus » Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:40 am

Actualy he added the led to a mechanical mouse, not an optical mouse. Besides I think dhuber, like me wants to know if there would be any complications in swaping out that ugly red led in the optical mouse's sensor for say a green one.

If not, my bad. I'd still like to know if the optical sensor in my logitec mouse is set for a certain wavelength or if any led would work? If I had a spare optical mouse, I would consider trying it anyway. . .
~--____=^.,.^=
Purrs and Prayers

"How do cats decide when to jump suddenly up from where they were sitting comfortably curled up and dash madly around the room, knocking over everything they encounter?
Fuzzy logic." --Andrew Koenig
Felius Digitus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby greytrains » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:27 pm

I think you can change the LED on the optical mouse. I saw a website that did that but now I can't remember what it was.

Felius Digitus wrote:"How do cats decide when to jump suddenly up from where they were sitting comfortably curled up and dash madly around the room, knocking over everything they encounter?

Wouldn't that be furry logic :?: I have problems with my greyhound doing that, let alone my cats. :roll: 8O :) :) :)
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GillianTan » Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:44 pm

Well try to remember! I wanna change mine from red to something else too!
My NEW 3dMark score http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4955820
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return...
GillianTan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby greytrains » Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:22 pm

GillianTan wrote:Well try to remember! I wanna change mine from red to something else too!

After doing some searching I found the artical at http://www.twistedmods.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=37.

greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GillianTan » Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:22 pm

Hmm...I dont have a Logitech though....I have a MS optical.

I do however have a broken one I can take apart!
My NEW 3dMark score http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4955820
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return...
GillianTan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Felius Digitus » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:45 am

Got my hands on second optical mouse, so It's time to give it a try. Now if I can just find a green 10,000+ mcd LED in Arkansas. :twisted:
~--____=^.,.^=
Purrs and Prayers

"How do cats decide when to jump suddenly up from where they were sitting comfortably curled up and dash madly around the room, knocking over everything they encounter?
Felius Digitus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Felius Digitus » Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:26 pm

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Success, I now have a living Green Optical Mouse!

Had a little trouble finding a 5mm Green LED at 10,000mcd or above, so I went ahead with an 8,000mcd from superbrightleds.com.
It seems just as functional as ever; so our answer is "Yes, the evil red light can be changed."

And I have a use for that red LED already. A fur covered mouse, with glowing red eyes for the anual "dirty Santa" party at the office.
~--____=^.,.^=
Purrs and Prayers

Felius Digitus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

update

Postby Felius Digitus » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:53 pm

Been using it for a week, and have noticed a minor sidefect to swaping the LED.

It has a little trouble waking up from it's power down mode on my battered red mousepad but seems to have no trouble waking up on white paper. It could all be some sort or conflict with my temporary sound card, but I think it just needs a brighter LED.
~--____=^.,.^=
Purrs and Prayers

Felius Digitus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to System Modification