The Greatest Mod of them all (Read: dumbest ever)

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

Tulatin: what is arCtic silver 5? (I hate how few people can spell arctic correctly...yes - it has TWO c's) Unless it's really cheap or free, I can tell you it's out of the question.

And as for you, rash - that's not even funny. Finger burns on a computer scientist = cruel and unusual punishment.

I was seriously thinking about switching cases. My current case is a giant 2.5 foot tower that weighs about 20 pounds empty. I found this nice oldschool case (the flat ones, when people saw having more than 2 CD drives as pointless.) and I think if I put some holes in it to increase ventilation, it could be a really nice case. Modless, it has ONE fan mount, which is a monument to stupid design since the plastic cover completely seals the hole!

I've already sawed out a hole in the front by prying it appart with pliers (a good 3 hour job that accoplished NOTHING, really). I then spent a good 5 hours trying to cut through the tiny vents on the side of the case with a serraded gerber blade. I managed to make 3 little cuts.

My friend is brining over a dremmel saw (thank GOD) and we're going to have another adventure, I'm sure. I'll try not to cut off any fingers, and I'll take some pics and vids as we go along :)

I seem to have a reputation for documenting my failures on this board, and I wouldn't want to let anyone down ;)
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by ~Rob »

Sorry... I didn't think aluminium could cause so much harm!!!

Good luck with the new plan
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/RobPope/sigmove.gif[/img]
[b]Jocuri cu impuscaturi[/b] si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe [url=http://smarturl.it/jocuri]acest link[/url] - distractie si amuzament garantat!
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by CDBurner »

Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound

It's used to ensure proper transfer of heat between the CPU and heatsink.
[email protected] Fighting diseases every second. Join us! https://foldingathome.org/
P|-|34|2|3()T
Initiate
Initiate

Post by P|-|34|2|3()T »

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com
this might helpwith the aluminum thing- just try not to blow yourself up in the process
maybe could try using one of those fans mounted on the pole thing, and tape it to your case.
Side window made from clear tape? or glad-wrap?- wait yeah functional.
i can only think of what would be a really bad idea-like water cooling . Would be found if you found a bar-fridge or something small like that you could duct from.
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

P|-|34|2|3()T wrote:http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com
this might helpwith the aluminum thing- just try not to blow yourself up in the process
Oh, I will...and I know I will...
So I'm not even going to click the link. Gonna prolong the inevitable a little longer.
maybe could try using one of those fans mounted on the pole thing, and tape it to your case.
What the hell are you talking about? What pole thing?
Side window made from clear tape? or glad-wrap?- wait yeah functional.
English not primary language? or bad teacher? - wait yeah WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?!?!?
i can only think of what would be a really bad idea-like water cooling . Would be found if you found a bar-fridge or something small like that you could duct from.
OMFG dude. Spend less time trying to hone your 5|_|p3|2 0u'][' |)4']['e|) |\/|3']['|-|0|) 0f ']['yPi|\|6 and start working on your $%^[email protected]# quality grammar. I didn't understand one dam thing you tried to tell me.
tarrith

Aluminium Can HSF

Post by tarrith »

Hey Dude why not flatten all the cans bolt them all together then spread out the "fins"?

Tarrith
Mad_Gouki
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by Mad_Gouki »

keep us updated on your adventures!
i can't think of anything good to suggest you do. If i think of something i'll let you know :)

maybe you could build a frying pan heatsink
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~htsu/humor/fry_egg.html

also, in that frying pan heatsink tutorial, Trubador uses coins as part of the heatsink. Maybe you could do something like that instead of using cans
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

Tarrith, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you be more specific? And I can't really afford bolts, but I'm sure I could get some copper screws and nuts.

If I ever get off my lazy butt and buy some screws, I'll have completed the old-school-case adventure. I just need to mount the fans on the side of the case and I'll be good to go.

As for cooking stuff on my processor....That's a little too risky for a $450 processor that's not even a year old.
P|-|34|2|3()T
Initiate
Initiate

Post by P|-|34|2|3()T »

One of the mounted fans that you would use to cool yourself off on a hot day, with a cage type guard on it. Usually white, and usually mounted on a pole as to circulate air in the room more effectively.
Jesus- that was a bad one- yes i just realised i wrote "would be found if you found a bar fridge" @#$! i was tired.
The quality of my writing does become somewhat degraded at 4 in the morning. Sorry for any inconveniance endured by presently assembled company.
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

I had thought about building a case attached one of those old 1980's style fans - the ones made out of plastic with the plastic grating (that was ALWAYS missing little pieces) that most of us got such a kick out of by talking into them.
Chris Farley wrote:LUuUuUuUuUuUuuUUke. IiIiIiIiIi AaAaAaAaAMmMmMm YyYOoOoOoOoOuUuUrRrR FfAaAaAaAaAaAaTheEeEeEeEeR
But those things are loud and rattle too much for my liking. I don't mind computer fan noise - I actually find the hum of my fans to be soothing at night. But those things sound like biplanes when they get spining.

Anyways, I'm going to go out to walmart and pick up some screws so I can write up another big post about the process in making another case crappy.
Last edited by SkReaP on Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Computer modification is the art of making your computer look as dumb as possible while maximizing the time wasted doing so. The end result is sitting in front of your computer wondering why you don't have a girlfriend."