The Greatest Mod of them all (Read: dumbest ever)

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.
triggerhappy41
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by triggerhappy41 »

that, my friend, is a work of art. Beautifully done, and wonderful use of rescources!
CPU=AMD Athlon X2 3800+
RAM=Corsair XMS DDR400 1GB 2-3-3-6 Timings
MOBO=ASUS A8N-E
VID=EVGA GeForce 7950GT
HDD=74GB WD Raptor
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

Thank you.

Just to let you all know, Page 4 means PART FOUR!

It's actually happening as we speak...well....as we type. When my new parts come in the mail, it's ghetto modding time. I'm going to have a HEFTY excess of fans, a fresh roll of duct tape, and you guys to supply me with new crazy ideas. :)

I've already taken pictures and layed out a general game plan - I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive. I can promise you that another duct will be built, and I will be making some new holes in the case, even if I have to go back to the old screwdriver and nailfile methods.

I'm open to all suggestions and ideas, just make sure if you reccomend something, is has to follow some guidelines:

1 - no risk of harming intermal components
2 - no unreasonable damage to the case (sawing off plastic)
3 - if it costs more than $3.00, it's too rich for my blood
4 - No "ricer" mods (painjobs, clear covers, LED lighting)-make sure it's functional
5 - Let's keep it original - if someone's already done it, it's less fun :)
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by ~Rob »

How about bye bye fans and make giant hetsinks out of melted and reformed beer cans to cool absolutely everything?? A silent PC like!!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/RobPope/sigmove.gif[/img]
[b]Jocuri cu impuscaturi[/b] si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe [url=http://smarturl.it/jocuri]acest link[/url] - distractie si amuzament garantat!
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

As odd as that may sound to you...I actually think that's possible.

I could easily raid the recycling bins of the dorm again (and there's a frat party going on across the hall, and they'll give me plenty of beer cans). I'm resourceful enough to find the tools to cut and shape the aluminum, all I need now is to figure out a way to melt beer can parts together...

..does anyone here know the melting point of aluminum cans? Or at least the softening point? I want to make sure the heat of my computer wont cause it to fall apart. The only thing I'm worried about is the conductivity of the aluminum...will it short out anything i put it near...

...This may need some experimentation...
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by ~Rob »

Aluminium melts at over a thousand deg. C!!! I think....

Anyway, it has to have a large surface area so it won't be easy. A good bet may be to melt a cube and hack slices out to make fins.

What motherboard + CPU is it. These may need extreme sinks, is there a way to put a copper sheet from the CPU and solder it to the case?? That would make the case your heatsink... Just make the copper spikey for extra surface area
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/RobPope/sigmove.gif[/img]
[b]Jocuri cu impuscaturi[/b] si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe [url=http://smarturl.it/jocuri]acest link[/url] - distractie si amuzament garantat!
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

I see some problems with that approach:

First of all, solder doesn't spread heat all to well. Actually, I'm not even sure if aluminum does, either. Before I start building a kiln to smelt aluminum in (and trust me, I will if I have to) I wanna make sure aluminum transfers heat as well as the other metals used for heatsinks. If not, I need to start smelting peneys.

I'll take a thermomiter and a can to some boiling water or something to see if it transfers heat well. THEN we'll discuss the structure.

Aside from the beersink, are there any more suggestions out there?
"Computer modification is the art of making your computer look as dumb as possible while maximizing the time wasted doing so. The end result is sitting in front of your computer wondering why you don't have a girlfriend."
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by CDBurner »

I don't have any other suggestions, but I will say that copper and silver do conduct heat better than aluminum. However, aluminum isn't that bad, which is pretty evident as many good heatsinks are made mostly or entirely of aluminum.
[email protected] Fighting diseases every second. Join us! https://foldingathome.org/
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

Hey all, I finally did those experiments with the aluminum and here's my conclusion.

FSCKING OWWW!!

First of all, let me say that if aluminum moves heat that well, I'm surprised we even felt the need to move on to copper. I took an empty beer can, rinsed it out, and then placed it on a hot stove. I wanted to see how hot it would get in just one minute. I figured it would get a little warm near the top, and that the bottom would be boarderline painful to touch. I put the can on the stove, waited a full minute and then picked it up from the top.

Let me just say that I didn't expect it to get any hotter than than "warm" so I picked it up pretty carelessly. I now have several 3rd degree burns on my fingertips. That shti hurts. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. After my fingerprints healed over, I decided to do some experiments with the construction of a heatsink - you know - see how easy it is to bend a can into the shape I want it. Well, by using my massive college-size text books, making perfect 90 degree bends were quite easy, and with a little love and care, a pair of pliers could twist the can slivers into whatever shape I desired. The problem is , aluminum is VERY sharp.

Long story short: after I erased my fingerprints my searing my fingertips, I gave myself some new fingerprints (straight bloody lines caused by razor-sharp aluminum)

On a side note - clean up as you go if you try this - spending 4 hours in a hospital because you have a 2 inch piece of aluminum shoved up your heel is not fun.

So, by Sunday, I was glad to only have one experiment left - melting aluminum together. I can gladly say that didn't hurt myself this time. I only wish I had tried this first. I grilled out for my girlfriend for valentines day (she misses her dad always doing it for her), and I had 2 beer cans enveloped in the charcoal. Well, a whole bottle of lighter fluid later, and 2.5 hours in hot charcoal briquets, NOTHING HAPPENED TO THE CANS. They just got hot. That's IT. The damn writing was still in tact after I washed all the soot off. Aluminum cannot be melted or molded together in any temperature I can create...so therefore the whole hommade heatsink idea wont work.

Had I tried this first, I might still have my fingerprints, and could have spent the money wasted at the hospital on buying a soldering iron instead. I think we need to come up with another idea....
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Tulatin »

figures - only skreap. Why not just use artic silver 5 and melt it?
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by YouGiveMeRash!!! »

Just use your fingers as a heatsink 8)

Might as well.........

Ill think of something :roll:
[b]Main rig:[/b] 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D [email protected] -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
[b]Laptop:[/b] Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 [email protected] -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...