The Greatest Mod of them all (Read: dumbest ever)

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Re: Rekindling

Post by Copper »

ArsonFlayme wrote:Dude... Skreap... You have rekindled my faith in crap computers (and lighter fluid). I have spent 4 hours digging old comps out of my garage. I have two 486 processors, a 120 mhz processor, about 8 motherboards, 4 hard drives that arent more than half a gig in size, and assorted old cards. My next quest is to rebuild a replica of my first computer, an overclocked 486. I am gonna use the cooling fan from the 120 mhz so I can overclock it uber high. Also, I am going to give it around 40 meg of RAM, a 5x7 floppy drive, a regular floppy drive, and a 1x CD-Rom. Also, I will be installing Windows 3.1 on it, and regularly playing Kings Quest and Companions of Xanth. Wish me luck in this endeavor, for I shall need it. I also plan to program my own VGA game for this thing based on my old high school and then I'll send it to them and see what they think.

_EDIT_

I forgot to mention that if anyone has any tips, give them to me. I love this idea, but honestly have very little planning and will probably kill myself in the process.

Arson

go dude go
ArsonFlayme
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by ArsonFlayme »

Well, like Skreap, I am running dangerously low on... Well... Everything, especially cash. Anyway, lets take a poll.

Should my replica comp be ____?

A.Blue
B.Black
C.Green
D.Classic Grey
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Sabrewings »

Black 8)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/sabrewings/random%20stuff/mobosig52.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/sabrewings/fft.gif[/img]
[url=http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/][b]RIAA vs The People[/b][/url]
Lupus Yond3rboy
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Lupus Yond3rboy »

E: black with blue hibiscis flower designs- hawian themed case sounds like a good idea for some reason
"math is the hot twin lesbian sister of science"
--some guy from uni
Thrustwyn
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by Thrustwyn »

The best part - the BAG!

(nice creativity, man!)
tsusiat
Initiate
Initiate

SKreap

Post by tsusiat »

You are deep man,

I liked the earlier comment about not knocking someone for having too much free time and not enough cash. Even if working through or living on a stipend from your great aunt's estate, a shortage of cash does not have to prove a great obstacle to anything worth doing.

I once recorded, redubbed, double tracked - everything through an old set of headphones used as a microphone. That's a long time ago now, but was a lot of fun at the time.

I have one question, the implication of a few snob's posting here is that you have been "wasting" time. Skreap, are you? What's your major, media studies, film, fine arts??? I'm guessing this was all graded somehow. Am I right?

If not, and you were just having fun, that is truly awesome. I think an old VCR case might be a good option to mod personally--you know those ones that pop open at the top. Cases are big and spacious enough. Cheap at the Sally Ann ($5?) You could use plastic office tray holders glued with weldbond to support the drives..... CD/DVD RW could pop up at the top to do it's stuff...

Gonna make another computer soon, might try a wacky mod.

I bought a Compaq presario Cyrix 586 at Sally Ann previous to this computer at Value Village. Cost %20, had CD, HDD, Floppy, 32 megs of RAM. Used it for two months after the TFT screen on my laptop quit and I modded the laptop into a piece of plastic opening it up and screwing around.

Wish I still had that presario flat black case after reading this thread...

Keep us posted.
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

It never ceases to amaze me how long this thread has lived on. I disappear for over a month and expect to see my thread on page 5 upon my return; but no - it's seems to eternally linger just underneath the "sticky" posts.

I'm glad that everyone gets such a kick out of my "adventure" as it's come to be known as :)

First things first - I have some "fan-mail" to catch up on

tsusiat - I did what I did for 2 reasons: boredom and money. While I make it seem like I just did this on a whim, it was more of a last-resort. I had tried many other things before resorting to building a duct. I realized once I started how rediculous my plan was, so I decided to make it even more rediculous so that I could be proud of it rather than ashamed of it. I'm one semester away from getting a Major in Computer Science, to answer your question, and this was not graded in any way.

Arson Flayme - Good luck; it's always nice to see I can inspire people to do things, even if they are detrimental to their health. Gotta start somewhere, I guess...

Sabrewings - I'm still wating for that e-mail or PM from a Moderator saying they want me to write a weekly article for their main page ;)

To Everyone --

Most of my efforts have been going elsewhere recently. I'm sure 70% of you will be happy to know that my brother and I have bought our own little corner of the internet where we can say what we're REALLY thinking, and not have to worry about being kicked off of a forum. You see - my brother an I are very alike in one way; we both became a sub-attraction of big websites through our posts in forums. While mine was this forum we all love, his claim to fame came from a Golden Tee forum.
After reading each other's posts (and laughing our @$$es off at each other's way with words) we decided to start our own webpage:

www.jackassdotcom.com

that's right - SkReaP and his brother Jack (not our real names, obviously) have their own webpage. The whole point of our webpage is to offend anyone we can, so don't check it out if you're one of those sensitive types. As of right now we're updating the page every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times, so check it out frequently. The things I say in this forum are only about 10% as funny as what we say on our web page.

Countdown: only 3 more months until my next "project"...