The Greatest Mod of them all (Read: dumbest ever)

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by ~Rob »

So who can you name and shame for drinking excessive amounts of Mountain Dew and DIET (really, diet??) Dr Pepper??

If I had air con I too would have a massive air duct, althuogh Stella Cans may be used!!!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/RobPope/sigmove.gif[/img]
[b]Jocuri cu impuscaturi[/b] si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe [url=http://smarturl.it/jocuri]acest link[/url] - distractie si amuzament garantat!
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Tolemac »

Now that is SERIOUSLY ghetto! :lol:
[url=http://tolemac.net/blog/psychic-healing/][color=purple]The Gift of Healing[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.consciousenergymeditation.com/][color=purple]Conscious Energy Meditation[/url][/color]
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

Rob_Pope wrote:So who can you name and shame for drinking excessive amounts of Mountain Dew and DIET (really, diet??) Dr Pepper??

If I had air con I too would have a massive air duct, althuogh Stella Cans may be used!!!
I take my trash out about...oh...bi-monthy, so 100% of the moutain dew bottles are mine. As for the diet dr. pepper (BLECH), half the people that live in my dorm drink it like water. They're all chubby compsci guys that think it's good for them or something like that...I dunno.
move it down some slots
Can't! Read my edit. No slots left.
"Computer modification is the art of making your computer look as dumb as possible while maximizing the time wasted doing so. The end result is sitting in front of your computer wondering why you don't have a girlfriend."
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Tulatin »

okay then - desolder slot - resolder with wires - external video!
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

There's my next project: a wall mounted computer. Just put everything flat against the wall and use solder to make parts that would stick out go flat!

Hell, you could probably attach the computer to the cieling!
RIGHT OVER THE AC VENT!
External EVERYTHING!!!

...thing would be a bitch to lan with...

"Where's your computer? And why is there a pile of silicon on top of your monitor?"
"That *IS* my computer!"
"wtf?"
"Computer modification is the art of making your computer look as dumb as possible while maximizing the time wasted doing so. The end result is sitting in front of your computer wondering why you don't have a girlfriend."
DrkGypsy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by DrkGypsy »

TWEAKER
Athlon [email protected]
ECS K7S5A oc021029a HONEY X Bios
512MB PC2100 Mushkin Enh DDR
ATI Radeon 9800
Maxtor 120G HD
Maxtor 160G ex HD
Hitachi DVD 7500
LG 8080B
Scythe Kamakaze
5 Smrt Cse Fans
ruekills.com<---lil sis's band
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

DrkGypsy wrote:TWEAKER
???
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by SkReaP »

Well, since you all seem to like my story, I guess you should know that there is a part 2 to it....

I did this during the spring semester, so when the semester ended, I had to take it all down. This was easy - the drywall didn't agree with the duct tape for more than a week and I was constantly applying new layers. one quick tug and the thing came crashing down. I carried it out into the hallway and left it there. The weekly dorm paper had a FEILD day with this - apparently someone found it when drunk, attached it to their bacony, and PISSED IN IT, so that the piss would spray into the open window of the person living below them. I actually had to go to student court and show the pictures from before as evidence that I did not build it for this purpose.
..but that's a whole different story...

Anywho, when I took my computer home for the summer, my not-so-painfully-poor friends lended me some tools and we straightend out the case, and sanded down the razor-sharp jagged edges of the hole. This enabled me to mount the fan inside the case for a change without demolishing my video cards.

However, I didn't want an exposed fan while I was at home. You see - I have 3 cats, all of which are retarded. They like to paw, bite, scratch, sniff, and get into everything and anything that they shouldn't. Now, I like my cats' paws, and I'm sure they do too. I honestly think my cats would have chopped off both of their front paws and half their face before they realized that getting IN the fan was a bad idea. Hell, even then they still might try.

But, like I said - I'm pretty poor, and didn't have the money to buy a REAL guard, so I had to make due with what was availible to me. Here's a list of said availible items:

Duct tape

I decided to go with the duct tape for this one, and made my own fanguard. If you ask me, it looked damn nice, and it did a damn good job. In fact, the adhesive managed to catch a lot of cat hair and acted like an air filter. Here's the picture:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkR ... %20038.jpg

Over the summer, My girlfriend convinced me that being a tall, skinny, pale, weak, computard was not "in" so I changed my diet and started working out. The result was drinking 6 Gatorades a day, as opposed to the old 6 Mountain Dews a day. As the summer came to an end, I started saving the bottles and cut them into tubes. When I got back to college, I unloaded my garbage bag of Gato-tubes, and started to rebuild!

http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkR ... %20039.jpg

Before I go on, it's important that you know that during the course of the summer, I told my friends about the whole urine incident, and my intentions of building a system yet again upon my return. We also went to a local LAN tournament, where everyone proudly showed off their blacklight, noise-sensive LED, glass walled, water-cooled, massive heat-sinked, uber-machines...and then there was my compaq presario; stock with a giant fsckin hole beaten out of it. Everyone that saw it made some kind of smartass comment, and by the time the tourney was over, everyone was saying the same thing: "It takes balls to be seen with that."

Thus, I named my computer.
"Balls"
Back to the main story:

Because of the previous incident with last tube, I decided to take pictures once again. Gatorade bottles are not as long as Mountain Dew bottles, so I couldn't finish this in one day. I only got this far with my first set:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkR ... %20041.jpg (I know it's sideways - my camera sucks)

It only took a few more days before the tube was complete (I drink like a camel). All it needed now was the ol' plastic bag. I didn't like that idea, though. Last time I was in a rush to get my computer up and running...this time...was gonna be different. I was really taking my time on this one, trying to make it look as asthetic as possible, and an empty grocery bag duct taped to the vent just wasn't an option this time. So, I took a trash bag and duct taped it so that it covered the ENTIRE vent. I then ran the tube into a hole in the trashbag and sealed every leak.
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkR ... %20043.jpg
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkR ... %20044.jpg (+me, oh-so proud of my work)

OOOHHHH BABY did my Balls get COLD! If you look at the previous picture, you'll see that I have no guards for my CD slots. Cool air came VIOLENTLY out from there. My roommate and I put a dixie cup on top of the CD-rom, and the force of the air blew it out onto the floor. My Balls cooled the room! It also provided us with a plesant silicon scent. It was great.

That setup lasted me until This past x-mas. But that's where PART 3 begins! "The Death Of Balls"

...more to come...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Tulatin »

Man, these ghetto modding adventures are great! Keep em coming ,and what's with death of balls?
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by YouGiveMeRash!!! »

[b]Main rig:[/b] 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D [email protected] -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
[b]Laptop:[/b] Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 [email protected] -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...