Weakness in 4 layer motherboards stun many newbies?

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby atang1 » Tue May 13, 2003 6:09 am

You would think bending the motherboards backward from the push of sdram would solve all the 4 layer motherboard problems.

Alse, problems galore. Some chipset got too hot and failed. Some integrated video got too hot and failed. Moisture problem is possible, especially not use for a long time in hot sweaty summer days. On the other hand the electrolytic capacitors may have dried up and needs curing(to absorb some moisture into the cpapcitors. This is done by power on for some hours non stop.

Some integrated video chip got too cold and failed. Those video chips had label glued on them to keep them warmer? You might try adding some layer of wide scotch(mailing) tape on them to keep them warm. If that works and it got too hot later. Add a heatsink on top of the wide scotch tapes or double side adhesive tape.

Buy some non-working motherboards and have some fun, if you are not lucky enough to ruin a few of your own motherboards, yourself.
atang1

Postby atang1 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:07 am

I bought a number of beautiful clean motherboards on ebay, with the seller stating that these motherboards do not work.

One seller also sells mini post cards. So his motherboards were all analysed with defect post codes. Think i foolisly wasted my money buying motherboards that for sure did not work. I bought eight of them. And indeed three of them visually has defective electrolytic capacitors due to overheating. They will be replaced and retested. One P4 motherbaord was untested. the rest were each tested with my collection of cpus and memories. One Ga-7DXR worked(usually ddr and cpu combination non compliant.

One Ga-7DX v2.2(MicronPC oem) bought elsewhere, came alive after electrolytics were cured. Unfortunately, curing cpcitors take many many hours. If you turn it on and run it 24 hours non stop, you will have a good cure. Curing is changing a dried up electrolytic to a moist one by absorbing moisture. So, the time to cure depends on the temperature and humidity level. This of course shows that in 1999 Giga-byte were using ten year old capacitors. In year 2002-2003 they dried up. Checking my own collection of the same motherboard, the came problem came up. The problem was a time delay in power on. Took many many minutes to turn power on, until electrolytics were starting to cure.

More on motherboard weakness, later?
atang1

Postby atang1 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:42 am

While aged electrolytic capacitors dries up, which is a cause, and can be cured by continued use without shut down.

The many motherboards I have seen and replaced the overheated capacitors have the symptom of capacitor failure. But not the cause.

Slight overheating, drives out moisture, the top of the electrolytic capacitor will bulge up. The minute you see that, you know the valure of capacitance had drop tremendously. It can no longe bypass noise and hum. They have to be replaced. Pushing down the top and try to cure it may be worth your while, if you have the time.

When the electrolytic capacitor leaked, the dielectric fluid is lost. That capacitor has to be replaced. Will you computer work? Not likely. The reason is that the symptom of failure is due to overdrawn current thru the energy stored in the capacitor. The overdrawn current is the cause from some cmos transistors in some integrated circuit. Until you use low temperature annealing, you will not solve the cause of the problem.

Low temperature annealing unfortunately does not work on a non functioning integrated circuit. So, it is a dead end. In a throw away society, you have to relieve your mental stress of a castrophy failure by throwing the problem away and replace it with a more advanced motherboard.

Of course, low temperature annealing mentioned was done by putting the motherboard into running the bios and watching the clock ticking for 4-5 hours.

The other way is to put the motherboard in a toaster that can be set to 160 degrees F, for 4-5 hours. More experiment has to be done by static low temperature annealing. In the new desoldering process by using bismouth and indium to do tertiary alloy with melting point of 150 degrees C. People had found out that cmos transistors in plastic packages can stand 150 degrees C. So time and temperature process has yet to be studied. Tune in later?
atang1

Previous

Return to System Modification