Fanless PSU anyone?

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Fanless PSU anyone?

Postby Terrapinion » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:00 pm

Just wondering if anybody here has tried one of the new passively cooled power supplies. Likely not a good idea for overclockers but for the niche that is trying to build a dead silent computer for living room or home theater applications it could be very useful.

Here are some links:

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/silpc.html

http://www.warp2search.net/reviews.php? ... tent&id=33

These are still pretty expensive 8O so people might be a little embarrassed :oops: to admit buying them but I was curious.
Terrapinion
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tulatin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:25 pm

Why bother? Just buy a normal atx psu, and slap a vantec stealth fan(s) in it. No noise psu on the cheap 8)
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Terrapinion » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:09 am

Tulatin wrote:Why bother? Just buy a normal atx psu, and slap a vantec stealth fan(s) in it. No noise psu on the cheap 8)

Yeah, or just put the machine in a closet or cabinet or something. I've taken apart a couple of stereo components and they all had PSUs with passive heatsinks so I suppose for those interested in building something along those lines it would make sense. Still, at that price...

Anyway, I'd be interested to know who here might have actually used one or might be tempted to use one.
Terrapinion
Initiate
Initiate

Postby geh1 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:14 am

well as 0always I guess I went the hard route. I watercooled my psu to keep it quiet, but however you cut it you still need a fan somewhere. Or do You? Keep you posted!
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.8g at 3.1g
(2) Seagate baracudda 40g hdd's in raid
12g WD hd for bu on pri ide
512mb Kingston 3200 sdram
dvd & burner, win98se,1 of 3 in network , and 2 sec cams.
geh1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Terrapinion » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:06 pm

geh1 wrote:well as 0always I guess I went the hard route. I watercooled my psu to keep it quiet, but however you cut it you still need a fan somewhere. Or do You? Keep you posted!

WOW! 8O Geez man, be careful, OK? I am not that familiar with water cooling but fitting a system directly to the power supply takes brass balls.

Good luck! :o
Terrapinion
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tulatin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:09 pm

Well, aside from being cool, that a MASSIVELY BAD IDEA! That psu contains tens of thousands fo volts, and unnumerable amp, both while in use and while not. Can you imagine what will happen to the rst of your system if this voltage transfers to the water? Your board will likely have all the capicitors literally explode, destroying the area aroudn them, while fans connected to the board spring aflame from a 10,000 v kiss. You whole system could burn, and you're right in the blast radous. Oh - and have fun :wink:
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby geh1 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:19 pm

Hate to step on toes but industrial (yes high voltage high current) applications have been water cooled for many many years, I wonder why I haven't heard of any catastrophies? descri[tion belays practical electronics experience. George
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.8g at 3.1g
geh1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:22 pm

Likely because they were custom designed to accomodate the water cooling, unlike your desktop supply.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Deja Vu » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:33 pm

tulatin wrote:Well, aside from being cool, that a MASSIVELY BAD IDEA! That psu contains tens of thousands fo volts, and unnumerable amp, both while in use and while not. Can you imagine what will happen to the rst of your system if this voltage transfers to the water? Your board will likely have all the capicitors literally explode, destroying the area aroudn them, while fans connected to the board spring aflame from a 10,000 v kiss. You whole system could burn, and you're right in the blast radous. Oh - and have fun

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eva:

ASUS A7N8X DELUXE
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Corsair XMS 512 mb DDR400
Geforce 4 Ti4200
Samsung 80 GB
Austin 450W
Thermaltake Volcano 7
Win XP home
Deja Vu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby geh1 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:17 pm

Sorry my friend but once again experience shows us the way. It is a simple matter to replace the rectifier heat sink in the psu (which is responsible for 90% of the heat) with a water cooled heat sink. The bigest problem is that you have to remove the 2 large filter capacitors so you can get to the screws on the rectifiers. The inlet and outlet barbs stick out thru the psu housing where the tubing connection is made. The secondary heat source in the psu is the low frequency choke coil (looks like a donut with wire wrapped around it) and by using a clip on heat sink the air that flows naturally thru the case has been sufficient to keep this cool. By the way could you tell me where you found tens of thousands of volts in a 120 to 12-5-3v power supply (they must be lost and I'm sure someone is looking for them). :roll: This will be my last response to this issue. George
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.8g at 3.1g
geh1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to System Modification