Microprocessor

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Microprocessor

Postby intel11 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:31 am

The industry trend for microprocessor design is for RISC designs, not for CISC designs, why????????? :?
intel11
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:50 am

Because of patents and copyright protections, ciscs can be protected. Riscs are not easily protected because it only has plus and miuns functions in mathematics. So, to implement all the functions of cisc and use all the pinouts which are copyrighted, risc designers use asics, pgas and risc. Some pinouts are then improved to avoid lawsuits. To avoid lawsuits, they may use socket 370, but some pins with improved functions are automatically selected by circuits for different cpu design. Such action made ppga, fcpga and fcpga2 as well as Via 686 cpus all usable in socket 370.

When you study the pinouts of the above mentioned cpus, you can design the motherboards to acommodate all of them automatically. You can also modify the socket yourself, but it will be for single cpu only. Or, you can buy a converter, which by jumpers can select which cpu will work in your socket 370 on you old motherboards.
atang1

CISC RISC

Postby intel11 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:08 am

Because of patents and copyright protections, ciscs can be protected. ?
its a comercial poin tview as i under-od

Riscs are not easily protected because it only has plus and miuns functions in mathematics. ????????
whats the relation bet-en protection & mathematics.

So, to implement all the functions of cisc and use all the pinouts which are copyrighted, risc designers use asics, pgas and risc.

asics, pgas ????????

could u please exp-n to me??
intel11
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:43 pm

I am afraid you have no need to know.

Patents and copyrights are protection for manufacturers to stop people from copying their products. Risc does not have much protection by patents or copyrights because of their simplicity with only plus and minus function of mathematics. Multiplying is addition in computers and division is minus operation many times. Prior patents even though ran out of time, can stop new designs from being patented.

Asics and Pgas are gate arrays which are programmable.

If you don't understand these words, you don't have the need to know. If you have the need to know, you have to find a handbook.
atang1

Postby intel11 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:02 am

atang1 wrote:I am afraid you have no need to know.

If you don't understand these words, you don't have the need to know. If you have the need to know, you have to find a handbook.

8O 8O 8O :( :( :(

:lol: Thank u for the adv-s. What handbook do u advice, as u know there are so many in the internet, but which one is the best for a beginner in this field.

Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys "
A talking muffin!"

:) :) :)
intel11
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:18 am

If you have the need to know, you will find the handbook that will explain to you.

Talking muffins is fun and game all right.
atang1

Postby BigBadToyz » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:50 am

A simple explination:

Risk is more widly used by Industry because it doesn't have all the needless functions of the CISC chip. It's routines that it uses for it's specific application are superiour to the CISC chips.

Hope that helps a little......but who knows maybe it's all really about lawsuits :roll:

Hey atang can you recommend a good conspiracy theory web site? :lol:
Second Place is the first looser
BigBadToyz
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:18 am

Conspiracy is hidden and naturally small in scale, websites will not attract too many users. You are better off watching CBS 60 minutes.

Your Risc(reduced instructions) explanation is not wuite correct. and cisc functions are added every day, first predictive branching then MMX, now video instructions and more video instructions. Cisc has hypertransport and hypertreading, risc has none of that. Risc is often the core of a cisc with the addition of asic, to function as a cisc. So, its just trying to avoid lawsuits, by work around copying cisc architecture.
atang1

Postby BigBadToyz » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:04 pm

I was joking about the conspiracy web sites man... :lol:

I still think your missing the picture atang.....The question I believe was why does industry use RISC? Your anwser was to avoid lawsuits? If you could elaborate I would appriciate it. If your saying that industry would rather use CISC chips to meet their needs but cant because of risk management :) I would have to say that your sadly mistaken......

But who knows....maybe I'll go bake some muffins :P
Second Place is the first looser
BigBadToyz
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:49 pm

I own letter patents, so I know what is going on. If you had studied cpu designs, and you will find out why people suddenly use risc cores. But history is boring, so people don't pay attention to them. Intel was suing every one jsut on pinout copyrights, that is why AMD Athlon choose Alpha pinout by licensing from Compaq(DEC).

Have you studied patent laws?

Funny thing was Cray research using RISC architecture with wires less than 36.00" long to make the fastest computer in the world. No one knows what to do with it. I bought the one MIT owned and stored in the basement of building 10. For a mere $5000.00. Cray was sold at fraction of $1 million($560,000). It took a DEC cisc computer to serve as a terminal to operate it. Before DEC came along you have to input binary codes bit by bit. Like the early MIT computer, which has a front panel with eight swtches(8 bits) and a return button. You store them one bit at a time and then use the run button. What a chore, sold around $200.00 then. That was a Risc machine alright.

Is this a RISC and Cisc story or not?

Today, of course, the wire lengths are less then the chip geometry, at 0.5". As short as 0.13 microns. Seymour Cray would turn over in his grave. His life was shorten by making the mistake of banking on poisonous Gallium Arsenide being able to build the raw speed for his computer. He found out that GaAs is like potato with soft spots. III/V componds being non homogenious is not strangers to semiconductor people who commit themselves on Silicon. Silicon si king until thin film transistors came along.

If I am wrong who care, not you. If you are wrong, as you say go eat some muffins. But some true stories are entertaining, and this is one of them.
atang1

Next

Return to System Modification