LVM scsi array vibration & heat issues

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

LVM scsi array vibration & heat issues

Postby binarybrandon » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:33 pm

I have just built a box to be a file server, I've booted it up with the four scsi hard drives in it, stacked on top of each other, and a scsi cdrw at the bottom. The casing has no support for mounting the drives, as it uses rails that I do not have. The mobo is the asus vx97, cpu @ 200 mhz. I'm going to be running redhat 9 on it. When I turned the box on, the whole thing came to life, vibrating like mad. I was wondering what the best way is to force these drives to stay in place and allow for heat dissipation is, if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I am willing to do whatever I have to to the casing to make it work. all the scsi drives are 3.5 inch in 5.25 drivebays. I am going to use LVM to make them function as one large drive, otherwise I wouldnt have bothered connecting them all in this manner.
Main PC:
P3(katmai)500mhz
320mb sdram
228 gb IDE storage
LINUX Quad Monitors 2x23"+2x18"
Slackware 9.1
I own 72 computers
binarybrandon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:52 pm

two pieces of rubber and long screws - putthe rubber between the side of the drive and the case wall, and tie it down with the screws - be sure to put rubber between the screw heads and the case though.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby binarybrandon » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:54 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot simply screw the drives to the case in that manner. The casing is designed for the use of rails, and I do not have any rails for the casing. I'm probably going to put some styrofoam between the drives, then duct tape them in place, and put a fan or two in front of the drives to pull what air they can over the drives.
Main PC:
P3(katmai)500mhz
320mb sdram
228 gb IDE storage
LINUX Quad Monitors 2x23"+2x18"
Slackware 9.1
I own 72 computers
binarybrandon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to System Modification