Spray painting CDD-bezels

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Spray painting CDD-bezels

Postby fict0n » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:41 pm

Sorry if these sound simple to people who are making 120mm airholes in the tops of their cases.. Anyway; I plan on buying a silver case with a black DVD drive and FDD drive, but my current CD-RW is beige. A few questions:

What sort of spray paint should I use? I want to keep the textured feel and avoid having a gloss. I want it as identical as possible to the other two drives.

Should I pull my CD tray out and paint that, too? Or just the actual front bezel? If I were to paint the tray, what do I actually have to do to prepare it for painting? I pulled a CD tray out of a school computer, but my CD-R seems a bit defensive to it. Is there a way to break it while you're pulling it?

My CD-R has a LED with a clear plastic cover over it, it's about the size of a pencil tip, how would you cover this up to stop the spray from going on it?

Thanks in advance.
fict0n
Initiate
Initiate

Postby JoeCamaro » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:42 pm

Painting it would be rather easy, keeping a durable surface though while keeping the same texture is hard. You can try rough criss-cross patterns with 180-200 grit sandpaper to reconstruct it, then prime it because you will use it a lot and it will fall off. Keeping the surface rough will minimize gloss a lot as well as not adding a clear coat on top. As for the tray, NO, you have a surface with cd's spinning on it a a few thousand RPM, that paint will just burn into your discs, I guess you could spray everything else on the tray though excluding the part the CD rests on. Go to a hobby store in your area and they would have specific plastic paints and other colors to meet your needs. Just don't put on thick single layers of paint and primer, you should put on the first layer so you can see through it just a little bit, wait 1/2 hour, put on another thin layer of primer, about a total of 3 times then if the texture doesn't suit your wants sand it lightly to make it better, then, finally, the next day paint it the same way. i've had a lot of success plastic painting this way, I wouldn't sand the final paint layer with rough grit sandpaper though, that would just scratch it
1800+Mhz AMD Athlon XP, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Nvidia Geforce4 4800Ti, 60gig 7200RPM ATA133 HDD, 1.0 gig 400mhz DDR RAM, Volcano 11 CPU Fan, Skyhawk 4350 Alum. Case/Side window+Blue Cathode Tube
1988 Camaro Conv. with 5.0 Fuel Injected V8
JoeCamaro
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Starbuck15 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:57 pm

Just put a dab of Patrolium Jelly over the plastic for the LED. Then just wipe it off after you're done painting.
-Starbuck
Visit my Homepage and Ben 10 Games here
Hey I'm a GEEK and I'm proud of it!
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jimmy-j » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:59 pm

HERE'S a tip go to a bike shop and ask for "PJ1 fast black V" that's a vynil dye, good for plastic, specialy matt type plastics. 400 ml spray can. no priming only wash with a good detergent first to remove all traces of grease.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby sum1sp3cial » Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:59 pm

Gloss comes from two things- 1-the gloos type paint that you spray on, and 2- the numerous sanding steps that people do when trying to gloss their pc's and give them a mirror finish. What i do to try and stop the gloss finish turning up, is buy a "matt black" spray paint and then make sure you wet sand the piece your going to paint, after wet sanding- prime, sand again- but only slightly, because if you want to keep that rough feeling youll get it from the primer- and then paint will your matt black spraypaint.
hope that helps.
thats what ive always done and my gear looks pretty much fine :)
.............................rhysp3ct...........................
Strange that we all defend our wrongs with more vigor than we do our rights.
sum1sp3cial
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby fict0n » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:13 am

Well, I got it done, thanks a lot. Looks better than I expected, although taping over the eject button, which wasn't necessary, was sort of tough.

But now, I have to do my DVD drive. I got the actual disc tray cover off, and I unlocked the 3 notches (lower, right, left) but it still won't come off. It's only attached by the top notch, but there is no notch, it's probably inside. What should I do?

And if it makes any difference, the drive is a Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD16x.
fict0n
Initiate
Initiate

Return to System Modification