Simple secrets revealed on K6-2 cpus?

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby atang1 » Sat May 10, 2003 7:20 am

No video, motherboard or cpu is dead. Mini post card from China runs about $23.00US on ebay. Search for diagonostic cards.

I sell modified motherboards on ebay for k6-2 enthusiates.
atang1

Postby blackhead » Sun May 11, 2003 3:34 pm

Thanx...

$23.00US loox more familiar to me... :wink: (it is about 700 Kc - my country curency)

I'll have a look around for something like this..

Thank you once more!
George 8)
blackhead
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Mon May 12, 2003 11:00 am

atang1 wrote:No video, motherboard or cpu is dead. Mini post card from China runs about $23.00US on ebay. Search for diagonostic cards.

I sell modified motherboards on ebay for k6-2 enthusiates.

voltage, mosfet (wattage) mods? do the k6-2 or k6-3's have l2 cache on die (supposedly they are slow to crunch seti because of not having l2 cache on die?)? not sure of the specifics of k6-2 and k6-3's and if and where l2 cache exists.

how do you test the mods to verify success (besides boot/ posting correctly- or is this sufficient)? any amperage or other tests performed?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby atang1 » Tue May 13, 2003 5:39 am

K6-2 motherboards do have L2 cache on motherboard up to 512kb at FSB speed. K6-2+ for notebook is available new at TigerDirect. They have on chip 128kb cache. and use automatically the L2 cache on motherboard as L3 cache.

Unfortunately, the speed improvemt for k6-2+ over k6-2 is only 2%. This is easily seen bacause of L2+L3 transfer and 128kb limit compare to 256 or 512 kb on mothernoard. If cache on chip is 100 mhz, and cache on motherboard is 66, 75, 83, or 100 mhz; you really have no advantage. to rave about

But K6-2+ with 0.18 micron rule lithography can be run over 500 mhz, if your motherboard can go up to 112-124mhz, by overclocking

On core voltage modification, it is done by voltage divider calculation for older motherboards. And some may have to change mosfet transistor from 7 amps(with heatsink to stretch to 13 amps) to 25 amps.

On the late models core voltage can go to 2.0 voltas. But I do modify them down to 1.7 volts for k6-2+ applications. See my other posts about switcher voltage regulators and how to modify the vid pins. Switcher voltage regulators are hard to measure with digital voltmeter; analog voltmeters do not have the high input impedance. So, measurements are out of consideration.
atang1

Postby len444 » Tue May 13, 2003 3:36 pm

atang1, i did see you other post regarding changing mosfet (very interesting) transistor to get the wattage higher. when you say voltage divider calculation, how would this be accomplished (resistors?)? when a mofifiication to a mb is made, at what point will other components like capacitors, diodes, resistor bars, ect... have to be changed as well?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby atang1 » Tue May 13, 2003 7:13 pm

Changing mosfet transistor is very easy, it is just To220 package, 3 pins to desolder and solder. It is easiest to blow out the solder to desolder.

Voltage divider is described in Timmy's M571 on internet. The older voltage regulators do not use vid pin controlling the core voltage. They use a voltage divider which is two resistors in series to ground. The middle tap is the voltage that controls the bypass transistor(mosfet) voltage. So all you have to change is the resistor to ground to change all the core voltage jumpers control. So, you can easily calculate the voltage on the voltage divider. But strangely that resistor is usually labelled R100 on many motherboards. If you use axial resistor to replace R100(surface mount), use 1/8 watt carbon 5% resistor. Pretty cheap modification.

I also do modification on slot1 and s370 socket motherboards to sell on ebey.
atang1

Postby len444 » Tue May 13, 2003 10:48 pm

atang1, i thank you much for your reply!

question about solder: is 60/40 rosin core ok, is a specialty solder used on mb's, and is there a clean up technique, and coating (epoxy?) procedure required to prevent oxidation (more for lasting quality)?

btw, i've even referenced timmy's m571 page for others that had questions about the m571 mb! i do faintly recall a jumper w/ resistor mod to get the lowest voltage lower though. i don't recall the more involved approach, but that might be because i was focused on getting the k6-2 450 to work on the v3.2a mb, which has the lowest v @ 2.2v- my particular mb didn't need a voltage mod. an earlier m571 had the lowest voltage at 2.5v, and this one would need the mod (i think it's either a m571 w/o a version #, or it was the v3). i actually had some fun learning about computers w/ that mb (somewhat agonizing w/ a sense of accomplishment when perseverance paid off)!

edit: timmy's site shows the m571 v3.2 having the lowest voltage at 2.5v
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby atang1 » Wed May 14, 2003 1:25 pm

oesin core solder does not need any cleaning normally. Excess rosin will crack off. Rosin (from tree) is not corrosive. Acid core is to be avoided except used on plumbing.

M571 was very popular for a long time. Weakness is the sdram slots.

K6-2 works well with 2.2 volts except the 500 mhz Afx or Ahx.

Didn't have to do core voltage change but many k6-2 may not work especially the 2.4 volt units. Timmy has a lot of info on M571 and is still updating on it. I do some older motherboards than M572 yet.
atang1

Previous

Return to System Modification