Passive cooling intake??

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Passive cooling intake??

Postby MicrowavedWater » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:58 pm

Just wondering,
Does anyone know any good ideas for semi passive case cooling?

I was thinking about making holes along the bottom sides and putting a few top blow holes for fans.

BUT, you would prob. get alot of dust goin in b/c there wouldnt be any filtration.

Please post ideas/suggestions.

Micro
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum, AMD athlon XP 2100+, Geforce3 Ti500, Western Digital 40GB 7200 RPM, Lite-on 16x DVD, Lite-on 40x12x48 CD-RW, *NEW* 400 watt power supply, AND a ahanix Platinum Xp case... :)
MicrowavedWater
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dharbert » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:52 pm

I'm looking at a pic of your case right now.....there's not much airflow in that thing is there?

The first thing you need to do is cut out the stamped grill for the rear 80mm fan. Those things block a lot of air and cutting it out and replacing it with an 80mm fan grill will increase the airflow a good deal. I would also do the same with the front 80mm fan.

If your case came with OEM fans....replace them. OEM fans that come with cases are usually sleeve bearing fans that wear out faster than ball bearing fans. I suggest going with an 80mm Sunon ball bearing fan or equivalent.

A blowhole in the top of the case really isn't needed if your power supply has two fans, unless of course you just want to add one.

Just remember that adding too many fans can hinder proper airflow rather than help.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MicrowavedWater » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:11 pm

would it help if I added a bid 180 top blow hole and made vents (slits/holes) in teh bottom for intake?
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum, AMD athlon XP 2100+, Geforce3 Ti500, Western Digital 40GB 7200 RPM, Lite-on 16x DVD, Lite-on 40x12x48 CD-RW, *NEW* 400 watt power supply, AND a ahanix Platinum Xp case... :)
MicrowavedWater
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to System Modification