Heat & Speeds

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby atang1 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:39 pm

You guys are analysers not reporting on the real experience. So a little exageration is perfectly ok.
atang1

Postby Peanya » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:23 pm

People change core voltage to get to the sweet spot. Changing core voltage increases the cpu temperature.

Ok, I'm not an engineer here, but I'm a little curious on this statement.
From my audio days and a LOT of education about esoteric audio devices (Mark Levinson, Classe, Krell) Manufacturers use more voltage to speed up the response time of the transistors, to reduce(class AB) or eliminate (class A) the switching time. Of course Class A transistors run considerably hotter and use much more power.
Do you know if a CPU transistor is running open all the time? Or is the voltage increase what gives us the benefit to overclock it more? Again, I'm no engineer, but it sounds like it's more than temperatures we're talking about when trying to get faster performance.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

eep

Postby triniphen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:11 pm

voltage is potential difference, the greater the potential the more likely current will flow. current is the oomph behind the voltage. the greater the potential the more likely something will happen or happen easier. now whether this voltage is applied to the emitter or base of a particular transistor i dont know. its been a while. example, in a tesla coil the current is low but voltage is high so it jumps all around but theres little oomph behind it so you dont die, at least until it finds broken skin. a car battery is low voltage but huge current and will knock you on your ass but the likelyhood is low.
A7N8X-Raid/Aud/Lan/SATA
AMD XP2800+
Radeon 9700 Pro
Samsung DDR400 512MB
WD Raptor 36Gb SATA RAID 0
Maxtor 60GB ATA133
Plextor 52/32/52
Viewsonic Af90+ Flat CRT 19"
triniphen
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:30 pm

So what's the currrent coming out of an average 120v wall socket - as i'm interested to know just how much went thru me...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Peanya » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:57 pm

Usually 15 amperes in a 110 socket. For a max of 1650 watts. But you have to remember, that your body has some impedance to it, so you're not getting fried right away... Maybe you need to experiment more to see the actual wattage heheehe :P
Ok - if you are considering what I just said, DON'T!!!
And Triniphen, I do know the basics of voltage and amperage, but was more curious as to how the voltage is working and the transistor switching. Like I said, I feel that there is more than just a temp thing to how the cpu works. Just my curiousity because I've learned so much about audio as far as amplifiers, preamplifiers, and even speakers in the past... Things you don't see rated typically such as IM distortion, phase distortion, transistor switching, all discrete circuitry, high current output (and I've had engineers get mad at me when I say that you need a high current output amplifier in an 8 ohm speaker), all the truly important thing to accurate sound production vs this modern-day psychoacoustic crap that's made now.
Go listen to some upper end Dunlavy speakers with some quality audio equipment (no, I don't mean name brands most of us know hehe) and you'll see what I mean. Listen to a large orchestra on those compare them to Bose. Or something that'll suprise you - listen to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" off of her greatest hits album - that's one of the most intricate songs I've ever heard.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

eep

Postby triniphen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:23 pm

i dont know if impedance is a factor in a transistor. isnt impedance the resistance of an inductor to current change? i see what your saying though. i think ill go rub a baloon on my head, better yet on my cat, its more fun. ill let you know how it turns out.
A7N8X-Raid/Aud/Lan/SATA
AMD XP2800+
Radeon 9700 Pro
Samsung DDR400 512MB
Maxtor 60GB ATA133
Plextor 52/32/52
triniphen
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby len444 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:46 pm

120V house circuits can be either 15amp, or 20amp, at 1800watt, and 2400watt respectively. More Spam Vomit will more than likely be 20amp, and most definitely for new construction. a lot of the tract houses have 15amp circuits except for kitchen, and a couple of other specialized circuits. some will do receptacles at 20amp, and lighting at 15amp. one way is to look at the elec panel (and hope that it's all categorized well, and accurately).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:52 pm

care to discuss the heat pipe heat sinks? perhaps more like heated liquid rises, and the cooling liquid settles assisting in heat extraction though.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

eep

Postby triniphen » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:02 am

please rephrase len ?? i dont know of a heated liquid rising, i know they expand, especially when boiling.
A7N8X-Raid/Aud/Lan/SATA
AMD XP2800+
Radeon 9700 Pro
Samsung DDR400 512MB
Maxtor 60GB ATA133
Plextor 52/32/52
triniphen
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby atang1 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:24 am

Watch out common sense is not laws of physics you all are discussing. Lack of formal education can made common sense seems correct.

ie., transistors are merely "equivalent circuit" of resistances, capacitances and inductances in a circuit. Look up some transistor handbook. When you have fixed equivalent circuit, the voltage and current etc. will change when input changes. Ohm's law applies here.

Same with mechnical engineering, it has to also be part of physic studies. water evaporates even al low temperature. It does not have to reach steam temperature. Why does an orange dry up just left on the table. Or, why does it dry up even faster in the refrigerator? There is more to evaporation and absorption theories. System analysis approach has to be used.

Misconceptions are not worth the time of the day to correct or argue. Please hold it down.
Last edited by atang1 on Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atang1

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification