Case frontpanel I/O port wiring

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Case frontpanel I/O port wiring

Postby zimmer » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:03 pm

:( Hi Peeps
I've fitted my system to a new case with front panel USB, headphone and mic sockets, i've got the USB ports working, but not the mic and head phone sockets,
my mobo is a ECS K7S5A with onboard sound disabled and a Creative Soundblaster 4.1 digital PCI card fitted.
The wires from the front panel have 'individual' plugs on them, marked-
ear L
ear R
mic data
ground
which is fairly simple to understand, i connected these to the mobo 'FP_AUDIO' header as follows--
ear L to FPOUT-L pin 9
ear R to FPOUT-R pin 5
mic data to MIC pin 1
ground to GND pin 2
No output to headphones? I assume i've got to connect to the sound card but the only connections are TAD, CD and AUX, all of which i believe are 'outputs'.
I've tried the case suppliers, they said see soundcard manual (which is as much use as a chocolate teapot) and e-mailed 'Creative' and so far got no responce, can anyone point me in the right direction, pleeeease !!! (be gentle with me i'm a new boy on the block) :D
zimmer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dell_m_m » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:24 am

Since you've found out the mobo's FP_AUDIO connectors won't work with the O/B audio disabled and that your Soundblaster card doesn't have any internal connections for a front panel, I guess you're outta luck... Unless you run a Y adapter and extension cord around from the back :cry:

Actually, it would help to know the model number of the sound card, as we can't get any info from Creative without it :?

Dell
Smile at everyone and they'll wonder what you're up to!
dell_m_m
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby zimmer » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:28 pm

Hi Dell
Card model #CT4740
I sort of guessed that might be the case, not what i wanted to hear! :cry:
but thanks for the input.

Zimmer.

Pilgrim

Postby dell_m_m » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:00 am

I've got a couple of SB16 ISA cards laying around as well as one PCI version :wink: Any particular reason you use this card? I use the O/B sound on my K7S5A... Sounds great and is much better than the old Creative card you have.

Dell
Smile at everyone and they'll wonder what you're up to!
dell_m_m
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Knowledge » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:56 am

I have the same mobo. I also have a case with front panel USB, headphone and mic connections. i wired it all up fine but the mic and phones don't work either. heh heh heh :D the difference is i don't care to make it work on that machine. :wink: it's simply the parts bin machine I threw together for the garage. I only use it to play music and looking up info while i'm working on cars.
Knowledge
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I/O hint

Postby Felius Digitus » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:19 pm

Here's a thought pot the rear ports off the card and connect to those I/O ports. Be realy carefull removing the jacks though, so you can email em to me. I have two cards that need new jacks and so far can't find a distributer that sell them in anything less than 250 count.

And don't expect a helpfull reply from Creative, their response when I inquired as to the type of jack I needed was to buy the a new card.
~--____=^.,.^=
Purrs and Prayers

"How do cats decide when to jump suddenly up from where they were sitting comfortably curled up and dash madly around the room, knocking over everything they encounter?
Fuzzy logic." --Andrew Koenig
Felius Digitus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to System Modification