Need a "short" cd rom ...

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Need a "short" cd rom ...

Postby tonycarr » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:58 am

I squeezed in a 300watt atx psu in an old Acer micro tower case , leaving the cd rom , ( drive is about 8" long ) , pushed out of the front of the case about 2 inches ( ugly ) . The way the frame is designed I could not move the cd rom out of the way or leave the psu hanging out of the rear of case . Since this is an old computer thought maybe there is a shorter made cd rom , these days ?

http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/aspi ... specs.html
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby White Raven » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:48 pm

Seems like you might have to buy a bigger case my friend.
-White Raven
White Raven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby tonycarr » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:36 am

I've kinda grown fond of the "little surfer" , I think I will cutout the back of the case where the psu is @ and slide the psu out of the rear of the case a couple of inches , so the cd-rom can be in the stock location and smooth out the front appearance .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby tonycarr » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:12 am

I did it , I cutout the rear sheetmetal around the rear of the psu and slid the psu out of the rear of the case about 3" . The cdrom is now in the stock location and the front of the case appears as stock now . I used duct tape ( amazing stuff ) , around the edges of the psu to the rear of the case . I also took a hole saw and cutout a 80mm case fan hole in the rear while I was @ it . Looks good from the front , again . Nice and cool "LiL Surfer " ... just don't look @ the rear end .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby piasabird » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:07 pm

:P
You might get a slim cdrom to fit into the slot with some kind of adapter. However they just cost too much for most people.
Via Mini-ITX EPIA V, 800 Mhz C3, 128 MB PC100, A-Open Case.
piasabird
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to System Modification