Maybe a window...

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Maybe a window...

Postby Kenny Rogers » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:47 am

Ugh. I'm getting into this tweak-it-mod-it-make-it-go-faster craze like the rest of you. I think a window would be very cool thing to have. Only problem is my toolset. I don't own a Dremel or jigsaw and it sounds like I'm going to need one. I don't suppose I can put a circular blade on my drill?

Any other ways to cut through the case door? If I suceed, I plan to take the plexiglass out of a $2.00 picture frame and use double-sided tape. I also hope to find some type of trim for the exterior to hide my rough cutting job.

Feel free to tell me how this is going to turn out for me!
Kenny Rogers
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Sciurus » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:52 am

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293589&pfp=BROWSE

I'm new to this stuff too, so I've never actually used one of these, but it's a variation on a time-tested sheetmetal tool called a "nibbler". You close the jaws and it cuts out a small rectangle of metal, so it should cut straight lines and right angles real well, although it'll be pretty tedious. And you'll have to drill a starter hole.
But it's cheap!!

Like I said, I've never actually used one, so take this with a grain of salt.
And if you do try it, let me know how it works out.
Nothing is foolproof to a truly talented fool
Sciurus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tulatin » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:45 pm

they work well, but take forever
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby dirtedug » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:56 pm

well guys i just finished my 2nd modded case it hase a spider web window cut into the sude panel i'm in the process of looking for some green plexiglass now the case is custom painted as is my first case ( i custom paint cars for a living so figured whats the heck why not the pc too)when i installl the glass i'll post some pics these cases are wayyyyyyyy cool looking
dirtedug
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby White Raven » Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:24 pm

I tried installing my own window not long ago. I have my own jigsaw and the proper tools but when it came down to inserting the window itself it was a tough thing to do. Lets just say that I now have a case lid out in my garage with a hole in it for a window and the window is busted from trying to get it to fit. I am really disappointed in it. Luckily I have two cases that use the same side panel to replace the first one. I think I would rather just purchase a side panel with a window already installed on my next go-round.
-White Raven
White Raven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby joeskeeter » Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:26 am

I just did a fan.
The saw took a while to cut the case, then another 1/2 hour to clean the edge with the dremel.
Can't imagine how to get the window right without having to repaint the panel, except maybe cover the panel with tape.
I was real careful and still slipped with the dremel, but luckily the scratch doesn't show.
Looks nice too, with the antec blue led fan, it's like a night light.

I did put some magazines under the panel and then clamped the panel down, this kept the slipping to a minumum.
There is a trick to cutting plexiglass, can't remember, but I can find out if thats your problem.
joeskeeter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby dirtedug » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:32 am

cutting the holes can be a little tricky i just cut the side of a case open yesterday for my son the hole is in the form of flames i used a vairity of tools i have ( i am a auto restoration tech) the one thing to ALWAYS keep in mind go SLOW it take patcience to do a first class job..remember this case is going to be in eyeshot all the time and who wants to look at a mistake.......
dirtedug
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby White Raven » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:36 pm

When I cut a hole in the side panel of my case for a fan I used a hole punch for 80mm. I was lucky that I coul find some at my father's shop since I looked on the internet for prices for my own set and found they are way too expensive. Turned out to be a first class job since it punched a perfect round circle right where I wanted it. I also installed a blow hole on the top while I was at it.
-White Raven
White Raven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby joeskeeter » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:28 am

One more thought on the case cutting mods.
I think its probably best to use a drill press, clamp the case panel securely taping where the clamps are and also putting paper down so the cover doesn't get scratched.
I bet the hole would come out better and also less need to use the dremel.
I did just get the variable speed dremel so I was just dying to use it.
joeskeeter
Initiate
Initiate

Return to System Modification