Modding Project

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Modding Project

Postby Starbuck15 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:15 pm

Hey all, just a quick heads up here. Since I’m practically done with my new PC, I’ve got an old case, mobo, cpu (800mhz T-Bird), PSU, PCI Vid Card, etc. Laying around, I decided to mod it out and o-clock it. Eventually my plan is to get a network going for Lan Parties. Later I will then take the new PC with me to College when I leave, and give the other one to my parents. I’m planning on swapping old parts as I upgrade into the other one (video cards, mobos, etc., thus keeping it up slightly with the times).

Anyway taking into consideration my younger brother’s love for Spider-Man I’ll be painting it Red, with a black Web design. I bought a dremal, and have the blow-hole cut already as well as some other cutting I’ve done. It will eventually have 4 LED fans in it (two Red, and two Blue), as well as a Blue Cold Cathode, Red Rounded Cables, and a side window. I don’t have any pics right now, but I’m hoping to get some soon.

One quick question though, I bought a panel of Lucite-Tuff Acrylic Board that I’m planning on using for the side window. I’m planning on putting a side intake fan in the window, and I’m wondering if the Dremal will be able to cut through the Acrylic nicely. Thanks for any input!
-Starbuck
Visit my Homepage and Ben 10 Games here
Hey I'm a GEEK and I'm proud of it!
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:20 pm

acrylic is pretty easy to cut into to answer your first question. If you want to make this comp even more spider-manley, put one of the spiderman fan grills on the blowhole. They can be found through Xoxide, or at CompUSA.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Starbuck15 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:19 pm

Tulatin wrote:acrylic is pretty easy to cut into to answer your first question. If you want to make this comp even more spider-manley, put one of the spiderman fan grills on the blowhole. They can be found through Xoxide, or at CompUSA.

Thanks for the head's up on Acrylic Tulatin, and yeah I was planning on getting one of those grills as soon as I've got some more cash, I guess I forgot to say that.
-Starbuck
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:20 pm

for working with acrylic, i actually found some advie, at http://fins.actwin.com/diy/acrylic.html

I also found that there is one issue w/ those spide man grills - the eves are large enough to allow finges to get to your fan...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Starbuck15 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:24 pm

Tulatin wrote:for working with acrylic, i actually found some advie, at http://fins.actwin.com/diy/acrylic.html

I also found that there is one issue w/ those spide man grills - the eves are large enough to allow finges to get to your fan...

Yeah but they look so damn cool! Thanks for the link!
-Starbuck
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby LOGAN-MR » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:56 am

hey go here for the spiderman fan grill. you will save a few bucks.

http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=FGM
XP3200+
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
1GB PC3200
3 X WD 80GB SE
FX5600 256MB
SONY DRU-540A
SONY DDU-1621
ASUS 52X CDRW
XP PRO
LOGAN-MR
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Starbuck15 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:14 pm

Hey all, I'm thinking that the best way to attach the window to the side panel would be with some sort of epoxy. However, I haven't found any reviews that reccommend anything. Anyone have any ideas? No I'm not using a window kit, I cut the hole and will be mounting the plexiglass to the interior side of the panel. Thanks.
-Starbuck
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:20 pm

I used 3M's double sided tape to hold window vent visors on old mustang. If it can take over 100 mph of wind, I imagine it will hold a window in place nicely... :)
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Starbuck15 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:14 pm

Thanks Johnny, any advice on epoxy would still be appreciated though. Oh, and I've also considered Velcro. Thanks.
-Starbuck
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby barmouth » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:15 pm

I'd use silicon bath sealer. Sticks most things beautifully.

Epoxy would be fine, but you'll need to key the plastic with wet/dry first. Expensive and way over the strength requirement you neeed.
barmouth
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to System Modification