a- "what not to buy" section... beats wondering i

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

a- "what not to buy" section... beats wondering i

Postby sum1sp3cial » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:16 am

yeah... i reckon you should have a section with all the total failures of motherboard/hardware that really should be taken off the market...or atleast the ones that have numerous defects. Now i know most arent too bad... but it would be good for those people who dont have much time and knowleadge or even interest in hardware to know that they shouldnt buy the cheapest product at their local crazy clarks!
.............................rhysp3ct...........................
Strange that we all defend our wrongs with more vigor than we do our rights.
sum1sp3cial
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Peanya » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:37 pm

So brands like Pcchips and generic PSU's would top that list I'd imagine.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Valour » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:23 pm

It would be a disaster, and misleading as well. To me it is obvious why this is a bad idea, being a veteran of message forum advice giving and taking, but I'll give you an example to show you the fundamental reason why a "stay away" hardware section wouldn't work:

I think that Asus boards are great; I have a ton of experience with them and find that they are consistently good in performance and reliability. Abit boards on the other hand I have had nothing but trouble with -- nothing at JNCS but returns and tech support calls from Abit customers. So much that we stopped carrying Abit boards.

Mr T. will tell you pretty much the exact opposite... that Asus boards in his experience often have RAM problems and many out-of-box failures, and that he hesitates to sell them. Abit boards he likes a lot, has had few problems with, and often recommends.

Which one of us is right? What would we both post in such a forum or thread? Who would/should you listen to?

The answer is that both of us would be right, and you should take what both of us say with a grain of salt. Never buy based on one review, one opinon, or one bad experience. Get a variety of opinions, read a variety of reviews (if possible, look for the reviews that don't use reference boards and engineering sample CPUs), and try to collect a variety of experiences. This is what the Recommendations forum is for...

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Peanya » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:17 pm

Maybe so... but I've heard that Asus makes great Intel motherboards, and not so great AMD motherboards. Whereas Abit makes good AMD boards, and not so great Intel motherboards. Most of us are biased to what we like (AMD vs Intel) and this also sways the customers who buy the equipment. I could be wrong on my Asus vs Abit line, but we all know that some products just stink! In reading the forums here, I've seen a LOT of Asus posts (cause that board is the #1 seller), and also a LOT of Pcchips (el cheapo, but few sales).
If 1000 Asus boards are sold, and we see 50 posts about problems vs 150 Pcchips boards and we see 40 posts about problems, you can kinda say that the Pcchips isn't as good, eh?
Just a counterpoint.... Then again, when we recommend, maybe we should say somehing like "whatever you do, don't buy the cheapest mobo/power supply"
I'm all philosophical today for some reason.... it's driving me nuts! hehe
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Valour » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:52 pm

I hate to keep speaking for him like this, but Mr T. would disagree with you on the PC Chips issue too.

There are no motherboards that I can think of that just "don't work." I think some of them really suck, but that's my opinion... the Gigabyte 8INXP and the ATI Radeon 9700Pro are, to me, the biggest pieces of junk on the market right now. I feel that way because of the myriad problems I've had with them (especially using them together!). But I am aware of the conditions by which they can be good... if you get the right RAM for the 8INXP and don't use that video card with it and don't use the stupid extra voltage regulator, you should be fine. But why go through all that just to make it work? In three weeks the 8INXP will be ancient history... it'll be eclipsed by the Intel 875 chipset faster than you can say "dual-channel DDR400." As for the Radeon card, if you don't use it in an 8X slot you're in the clear. But again, why buy a card that isn't universally compatible with new hardware?

Recommendations are based on opinions. How those opinions are formed is the most important factor to consider... and recommendations are all personal, tailored to each use. Just like there is no "best" motherboard for all situations, there is no "worst."

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby sandchef » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:11 pm

For the most part i feel that the 9700 is a good card just has some whack drivers and didn't get enough R and D for the 8x agp, but can be fixed with $20 to ship and swap out with a good one, I had that problem with Asus's p4s8x and now it works perfectly. Can be "fun" trying to find a good combo with your mobo agp drivers.

If their was a "DO NOT BUY LIST", it would just be filled with opinons and less facts, so i would just stay away from that one.
sandchef
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site