AMD Athlon (Barton) 3000+ Posts

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Who do you like AMD or Intel

Poll ended at Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:01 am

Intel
45%
AMD
55%

Total votes : 11

AMD Athlon (Barton) 3000+ Posts

Postby Doc Overclock » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:01 am

This is one fast and cooler running CPU that the previous Athlon releases.

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 232_1.html
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby Valour » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:31 am

Yes but Athlon-based motherboards suffer from lower production quality (based on return and defect rates) and have much lower memory bandwidth than Intel-based boards (based on SiSoft Sandra benchmark tests) which translates into slower overall performance. When AMD was less expensive it was a great deal, but now that their CPUs are the same price as Intel's it doesn't seem to make much sense to spend that much money on an AMD processor considering the inefficiencies and limitations of the boards that run them.

AMD processors also lose to Intel in some non-benchmarked categories like production quality (higher defect rate on AMD processors), ease of user damage (due to the die being so easy to wreck and the penchant for inexperienced techs to spray Arctic Silver all over the place), and quality of the provided HSF. I would love to see AMD get their act together and provide Intel-like quality -- I'd especially like to see some excellent chipset designs for AMD boards. If only Intel made AMD chipsets... 8O But I just don't think that's going to happen in the near future. They need different leadership within the company, I think. I hear Michael Eisner is looking for a job... :wink:

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site