regarding CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+ Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

regarding CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+ Review

Postby netbombay » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:11 pm

Intel System

Motherboard: ASUS P4G8X
CPU: Intel P4 3.06GHz (Actual) HT Disabled
Memory: 2x 256Mb, Corsair PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM
Video: Crucial RADEON 9700 Pro 400MHz DAC
Sound: On-board AC97 Codec
Hard Drive: Maxtor 40GB ATA133
CD: Sony 52X ATA33

Is it possible to benchmark the Athlon 3000 XP against Intel P4 3.06 with HT ON ??
netbombay

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:05 am

Yes and how about a better motherboard? Though HT won't do much in most of the benchmarks. I can't believe it lost in 3dmark by almost 2000 points..
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Valour » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:01 pm

HT on or off will make no difference in 3DMark. It will make an enormous difference in multitasking or serious business apps. Of course no synthetic benchmarks can really show that...

Why use DDR400 on a board that doesn't support it? That can slow things down on some boards. Why not just use what's recommended and turn all of the features on?

Secondly, no one in a business environment would use that video card. As these are CPUs and motherboards for workstation-class machines, it would seem more realistic (and helpful to readers that actually want to buy this stuff) if a more logical setup was tested... like with a Matrox G550 or Radeon 9000. The tests should involve business software and other things that the hardware was designed to do.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Vyrux » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:30 am

Doc Overclock said "Performance wise there is no disputing that the Athlon 3000+ is a fast chip and it beat the P4 3.06GHz in almost every test here in the lab." Unfortunately, Intel does not sell "P4 3.06", it sells "P4 3.06 HT". I see absolutely no fair reason to disable HT (on a mobo that supports it nevertheless) especially when Doc himself referred to HT as "the real gusto of [intel's] new line of CPUs". Where is the consistency here?

It would be counterproductive and unrealistic to buy a Porsche Turbo only to disable its turbo. It is part of the car, part of its price and part of its performance, for better or worse, whether we like it or not. Yet here Doc compares the AMD 3000+ versus a castrated P4 3.06 with HT disabled. As far as I am concerned, the comparaison is flawed from the beginning which invalidates the review and its conclusion
Vyrux
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby gamepyrate » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:50 am

Good points, but there are other review sites with HT enabled and different motherboard combos and such. This is what Doc did, and in Doc we Trust, and in Doc we do not criticize nor disagree. :lol: :wink: 8) :D I consider it simply a different set-up and not some big conspiracy because he has thousands in AMD stock. :wink: :lol:
I always compare different reviews on hardware before I buy, because often the reviewer is biased in procedure and such--but I don't find that here. If you think it is though, I find nothing wrong in comparing it to someone else's and drawing your own conclusion as to the quality or lack thereof of a product. :idea:

I just noticed that sig. Valour: "When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different."
Good stuff :lol:
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Doc Overclock » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:52 am

HT in some tests actually slows down the system so I disabled it and since the main function of HT is to help a system in Multi-tasking and I was not testing for that it makes that a mote point. Saying my test is invalid shows actual stupidity of the reader who doeasn't know his arse form a hole in the ground. Many sites did their testing with HT disabled. In Multitasking the P4 would win but for games and general usage the 3000+ takes the lead. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby Doc Overclock » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:56 am

Actually A different board probably would have been better for the P4 system.

The ASUS did not win me over... 8O 8O
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site