Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz Review Posts

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Postby Valour » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:11 pm

orion9727 wrote:the p4s8x surports all p4 478 pin cpu up to 3.2 thats when the .090nm change happens all bets are off then,it dont surport ht but it still take a 3.06 or higer,the p4s8x-x doas this board is hard to find,any way there is not a big differance in the 2.8-3.06 cpu performance,but there is price wise,the 2.53 is the best bet take the extra money any spend it on a pair of nice hard drives in raid 0,a 9700 pro a good cooler,bump it to 2.75 ghz and some 2t ram say 512mb and your kick the crap out of any 3.06 ht or no ht,500 bucks is a lot of money to save,fast chips dont make fast machines,they only help!

Breathe! Breathe, before you pass out!

The P4S8X will not take a CPU above the 2.8. For upper-end CPU support you'll have to wait for the P4S8X-X. As for the future of 533FSB socket478 CPUs after that, we'll just have to wait and see.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby orion9727 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:23 pm

the p4pe is more like the p4g8x,but no 8x.as for the p4s8x its more stable with an ati card,the grainte bay chips are buggy with ati cards but it was like that at first on the p4s8x,and the deals are good on a p4s8x,as for sata on all 3 well it going to take a while for them to show up like 8x 3.0 agp and direct x 9 games,2-3 years is what most people keep a motherboard who want to be up to date,best advice dont spend a lot but spend it wise,go 3 chips down on the cpu and a good board and hard drive always pay off,i paid 1200 for my machine less the lcd,all burned in from adamant computers,p4s8x ,2.53 w 512 pc2700,330w dual fan p.s. wd 40 gig 8 meg catch 7200 hard drive in a large case w 3 80mm fans and win xp pro an ati 9700 pro,at the time it was a killer deal the only mistake i made were not buying a secound drive and my old mouse died that day and next week i fried my keyboard.oh by the way with the money i saved went into a viewsonic vg190 for a grand.
orion9727
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby orion9727 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:30 pm

valour sorry but your wrong the p4s8x will take a 3.06 it just wont enable ht ,it work just like an older cpu but with higher clock.the p4s8x-x will enable ht.by the way ht is just like a 4200-8x a marketing ploy.nvidia and intel must think were all that simple./
orion9727
Green Belt
Green Belt

p4s8x review

Postby orion9727 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:07 pm

valour i read your p4s8x review,the bios note was right on the money.i lost about 2000 pts on 3dmark 01 when i flashed to 1004 but it was real stable on games,but that point on ata133 was way off.ata 133 is no different than ata100 ,most bust modes never get above 80 and are very short.and maxtor drives are junk!!!!! a fast drive like an ibm or a large catch drive like a western digital will make a big differance,bust speed will become a problem down the road,yes for sure but not just yet and sata drives will cope with that.as for seagate and maxtor they keep ibm selling drives,lots of them and its not just hype there.i like to see you retest ata133 up against say a wd80 gig se or a desk star and plop in a 3.06 cpu in a p4s8x,yes it dose work without ht,and a real world test of ht.do we realy need it?
orion9727
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:16 am

First, it's BUS speed, not Bust (unless you are talking about fast women). And Maxtor 133 drives are what I currently use and I must say they really do shine through. While I would appreciate the larger cache size of the Western Digitals, my Maxtor is silent, and still fast enough to make me the first player to arrive in any online game of Battlefield 1942. This is a good indicator of fast Hard drive and fast CD-ROM access.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Valour » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:39 am

orion9727 wrote:valour sorry but your wrong the p4s8x will take a 3.06 it just wont enable ht ,it work just like an older cpu but with higher clock.the p4s8x-x will enable ht.by the way ht is just like a 4200-8x a marketing ploy.nvidia and intel must think were all that simple./

I have personally tested a working 3.06ghz CPU on two P4S8X motherboards using the 1003A, 1004, and 1005.008 BIOSes and both failed to POST. The conclusion I draw from this is, "The P4S8X will not accept a higher CPU than the 2.8." This is where my information comes from -- personal experience. Where are you getting yours?

Hyper-Threading is no "ploy" -- it really does give significant performance increases in multi-threading apps and when multitasking. Not only have I seen it work, but I've watched videos of stopwatch tests in real-world environments comparing two identical systems, one with HT disabled and the other with it enabled. Again, I request your sources on this "information."

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: p4s8x review

Postby Valour » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:44 am

orion9727 wrote:valour i read your p4s8x review,the bios note was right on the money.i lost about 2000 pts on 3dmark 01 when i flashed to 1004 but it was real stable on games,but that point on ata133 was way off.ata 133 is no different than ata100 ,most bust modes never get above 80 and are very short.and maxtor drives are junk!!!!! a fast drive like an ibm or a large catch drive like a western digital will make a big differance,bust speed will become a problem down the road,yes for sure but not just yet and sata drives will cope with that.as for seagate and maxtor they keep ibm selling drives,lots of them and its not just hype there.i like to see you retest ata133 up against say a wd80 gig se or a desk star and plop in a 3.06 cpu in a p4s8x,yes it dose work without ht,and a real world test of ht.do we realy need it?

In all of the (admittedly synthetic) hard drive tests I've run (Sandra, Atto) the Maxtor UDMA133 drives are a little faster than the WDJB especially in a RAID-0 array. Not 33% faster as the number would imply, but they are certainly fast drives. The WD's are still great drives though.

If you think an IBM "Deathstar" hard drive is better quality than Maxtor, I really have to question how you arrived at that conclusion...

-Jem

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby orion9727 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:33 pm

sorry i ment burst rate,most times its file seek and load times that make a drive faster and its software,thats where ibm beats a larger catch drive,a larger bus pipeline only helps when then is a bottle neck,ata 133 is no faster than a well made ata 100 -why?most real world files rates never excede 66mbs,most drives burst a data stream only for a short time so its the software on the drive and its catch and its speed that are more important!ata sata drives with there ata150 wont make a big differance at first,as for maxtor dell had huge problems with them and on there high end machines they changed to western digital,as for ibm most high end workstation always sport them,yes they fail but the see use no home/game machine will see.
orion9727
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site