MSI DKA790GX Platinum Motherboard Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

MSI DKA790GX Platinum Motherboard Review

Postby ollE » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm

ollE
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

I don't get it

Postby bill1971 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:53 am

It seems like most folks, (like myself), would be looking at the integrated graphics of this MSI 790GX board or nVidia 8300 found in the M3N78 Pro board for an economical solution for an HTPC setup. So why are full ATX boards being produced ahead of the mATX versions?

And if you're interested in integrated graphics, why would you want to spend the extra $$$ for a $150 Crossfire setup? I can see one PCIe slot for a possible future upgrade, (or as a safety net in case the integrated graphics should somehow fail). Isn't the extra cost for the latest integrated graphics plus two PCIe slots for a possible Crossfire setup considered overkill? Or am I missing something here? Am I alone in this line of thought?

I've been waiting for the Asus M3N78-EM mATX version of the NVidia 8300 on-board graphics for an HTPC setup, but can't find it anywhere as yet. I haven't seen any 790GX mATX boards yet, either. It just seems to me that there should be a bigger market for either of those mATX versions of those boards as opposed to the full ATX versions. I'm just scratching my head on this one. . . please help me understand the marketing here. many thanks.

- Bill
bill1971

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site