AMD Spider Platform 9950 Black CPU Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Postby ATrebeau » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Okay, now for MY reply on a way more low level technical knowledge base to which to draw from...lol.

I'm glad I read the review and basically, for one reason. The comment related to the process used for each core and the power requirements/heat created...Ben pointed out that AMD needed to improve on this. Possible AMD rushed to create quad'cores to compete with Intel?

As with any build, I guess, as soon as your done you think, "hmm, I'll have to upgrade to this cpu soon." Which I've already started looking at the quad'cores but always come back to the same thing...heat and power consumption. I believe he said that improvement is on the way via a smaller process later this year. That's good news for me and puts my temp/power pause for the quad'cores to rest. By then or soon after, I'll be ready to turn this current new build over to a HTPC and go higher end on the mobo and cpu.

Really did appreciate the review...thanks.
ATrebeau
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ben2207 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Err now I see the issue as to the title. The title of the article is a bit misleading. This review was supposed to be a 9950 CPU review not a Spider system review. We built a system based upon the 790FX motherboard, two 4870s in Crossfire and the 9950 CPU which is what the pictures of the system build were from abd showing off some of Thrasher2's handiwork. And why the system build and tests were done on two different platforms I never said the tests were done on the Spider system due to the fact that we don't use HD 4870s in Crossfire on our CPU tests. Note I have not confirmed the RAID issue by testing other HDDs due to the fact that all I have are WD Raptors for testing .
ben2207
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site