AGP Slot Question..

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

AGP Slot Question..

Postby LA321 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:21 pm

can somone help me out on the diffrences of AGP slot sizes? I didn't know I had a 4x agp slot in My emachine and when I installed a new vid card it was for a 8x, it fitted right in fine, but didn't work (btw, I didn't know about the slot size until I actually picked up my emachine's Mobo Manual a year after lol)

I don't want to make another mistake, can somone help fill me in?
LA321
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Sabrewings » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 pm

We have a very thorough article section with many subjects. :wink:

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/te ... 920_4.html
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:14 am

The specs on the card would denote its maximum data speed, and a default data speed. If the card is a maximum 8x model, it should default to a 4x data speed. You will not realize the full potential of the card, as the mobo chipset does not have the maximum speed capability. But performance should be satisfactory. The only option would be to upgrade the mobo to one which has the 8x data speed. Video cards are made that way, so as to cover a broader range of applications.. not case-specific as older designs were. LAN devices commonly use the 10/100 Mb/s rating.. so as to be compatible to both speeds.
Most newer mobos with the AGP slot have the 8x capability, but will default to a 4x data speed if that is all the video card can attain.
Browse through Sabrewing's link, and also the other topics here in the "MBHW Q&A" folder. If you wish to become a super-tech, there is a tome called "Upgrading And Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller. It has all the answers to anything related to computers. It is known as the "Computer Bible".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A