Swapping the MB

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Swapping the MB

Postby Thunderash » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi all, I need to replace my Mother Board and was wondering what I could change to since the one I'm replacing has been nothing but trouble.

MB MS-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1

CPU Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors
1.4GHZ to 2.8GHz or higher

Intel ICH4 Chipset

Micro-ATX form factor

It is out of a Compaq Presario

thanks , Thunder
Thunderash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:03 pm

Anything microATX and socket 478.

You'll be looking at a reinstall anyway, there's no way you can use the restore CDs if you did not fit the original motherboard.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:57 am

Welcome to Motherboards. org!
As evasive noted, find a mobo that matches your MATX case setup. If you are lucky to find an identical mobo to what was there, you may avoid the reinstall. But if the chipsets and CPU are different, then the OS will need reinstalling.. and the original setup disks will be of no use. You could use all the old components, but the OS will need reinstall.. maybe the original set of disks will have the OS and programming that came with it, but the new mobo will have its own disk of motherboard drivers.
What specific troubles were you experiencing?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thunderash » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks for the help, I may have found one. The problem now is it wont even power on ,I've put 3 power supplies in this machine and now the MB is out, not sure if the MB was burning up the power supplies or what but the last time I knew better but put a cheap power supply in that maybe the cause of the MB prob. ,but I'm sick of working on this pc it's not mine but my moms and she will not buy a new better one. Oh and the first 2 power supplies were good quality, just didnt want to spend the money a 3rd time on power. The pc would restart and turn off and on on its own..

Thanks for the help ....Thunder
Thunderash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:30 am

A lot of the micro cases have a PSU that is limited in its resources.. just adequate for what was supplied. If there is an overload, the PSU may go out and take the mobo with it. Happens frequently with the eMachine series. A more robust PSU may fit the case, and provide more reserves. It will not draw or supply more power than needed, but the reserve is a sort of "safety net" to ensure a longer life for the components.
Check the install of the replacement mobo, to ensure the mounts fall exactly where the old ones were.. use only the holes with solder rings top and bottom of the mobo. If any other holes do not have the solder rings and line up with case mounts, then fiber washers must be used top and bottom.. or you risk shorting the traces or nearby contacts. Or move the mounts.
A spare PSU to have on hand is not expensive, and can prove valuable in testing suspect setups.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thunderash » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Any suggestions on where to buy this mobo cheap, as I've said I'm sick of putting money into this machine and it's not even mine. Doesnt matter if used, returned, new, or refurbed...lol

thanx thunder
Thunderash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:25 pm

ebay? hmm a 6577, is it having this problem by any chance?

http://www.badcaps.net
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:38 am

A spare known-good PSU to test a mobo is always welcome. Any PSU must have a minimal load imposed, in order to regulalte the output properly. This means a load of at least 5 amps on the +3.3 volts or +5 volts, and on the +12 volts. An old 12 volt auto headlamp with dual filaments would be ideal, connecting the common terminal to a black lead and one each of the other filament leads to the +5 and +12 sources. On the ATX power plug there is a green lead to the left of the latch, between black leads. This is the PSON control. Use of half a paper clip to bridge the green lead to a black lead will turn on the PSU for as long as the bridge is in place, allowing you to test a PSU for its worth and voltage levels. The voltages must be within +/- 2% of rated, or the PSU is not worth using. An ideal limit of +/- 1% is better.
With certain system types, the ATX power plug is not "standard".. as with some Dell models. The mobo and PSU have to match the wiring scheme, or there will be permanent damage to either the mobo or PSU or both.
This is a diagram of the ATX 24-pin connector. The wiring is identical to a 20-pin plug, without the extra pins 11, 23, 12 and 24. This 4-pin part separates from the plug for 'universal' fitting. The color codes are the standard class, not that of some Dell models.

(Looking at pin end of plug)

There are many offers on eBay if you cannot find a replacement mobo locally. The higher the feedback amount and quality of a seller, the more assured you are of a good deal. You need a mobo that can accomodate the CPU and memory. While the socket may be the same, the FSB and chipset may not recognize higher-speed CPUs or memory types.
If the case is of decent quality, it may be worth a few dollars invested to keep the system in operation. But when the cost of repairs edge toward the full cost of a new system, then it is time to reconsider. Check NewEgg and TigerDirect for some "bare-bones" specials that may be of interest.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A