Using a digital camera as a flash drive

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Using a digital camera as a flash drive

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:40 am

You can, you know!

It's especially useful in Windows 98, as most USB pen drives etc. can't find the drivers for 98, and tend to be USB2 anyway. However, I have an oldish digital camera but still have the driver CD... so if I have to do a quick backup of a 98 computer, I simply install the camera drivers [but not the software], plug the camera in - and it shows up as a removeable drive. Then drag and drop as per usual.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:27 am

It gets even better if you have one that accepts memory cards :D
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:52 am

Been doing that for years! The photo files are no more than digital data files, and any type of file can be placed on the flash memory cards. But after a while, the format used by the camera will be needed to 'clean up' the dead file space, as the camera's format does not reuse any erased file space until reformatted. When you have to transfer data between PCs and you have no LAN or other comm setup, the flash card in a USB reader will always work! There are even floppy disk adapters that accept the flash memory cards, and work very nicely in a floppy bay. Having a 128 Mb flash storage is very nice. Poor old floppy only has 1.44 Mb storage!
If your camera has a default JPEG format, then you can use the camera to view added files from other sources! Or AVI type files.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A