My CPU is stuck on the heatsink & won't yank off!

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

My CPU is stuck on the heatsink & won't yank off!

Postby ThEvil0nE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:39 am

Before anything else, here's the rule of thumb before you want to replace any heatsink... Always uninstall heatsink right after you ran your system for a few minutes. In doing so, the heatsink/chip is still hot... thus melting anything between them (thermal tape and or thermal paste) making the separation easy :wink:

Remember...
All newer CPUs to date already have been encased with aluminum making it use more thermal tape/paste...

So comes the Q&A part...

Q: What if I have not done the steps above and already took off the motherboard off the case and the cpu off the retention clip?

A: Your quicker and effective alternative solution is to use a BLOW DRIER! Heat the heatsink using a blow drier. I suggest you place the blow drier on the table lying and blowing side ways while you are holding the heatsink on one hand and the CPU on the other. When you feel the heatsink heating up... apply a gentle opposing twist motion against the heatsink and cpu to slowly loosen the thermal tape/paste until complete separation is achieved.

If you have not taken the CPU of the retention clip... the blow drier method is also applicable.

:idea:

Goodluck!

NOTE: The steps herein won't apply to PERMANENT THERMAL PASTE!

With the tip given above and the nature of the situation... You accept full responsibility of each action so please and always use care when doing the procedure.
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:54 am

Very nice post ThEvilOnE!

Of course, there is an alternate method to those impatient amoung us.

Lay your heatsink so that the side with the processor stuck to it (hopefully the base) faces up. Now, while holding the heatsink down, take a common slotted screwdriver (cover the blade of such with electrical tape if you're feeling cautious), and slip it between the gap of heatsink base and CPU pcb. Now, just gently rock the blade back and forth until the CPU decides to pop off the heatsink. Simple, no?
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby rogue_tomato » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:53 pm

Tulatin... you, sir are a very brave man. I would never think to use a slotted screwdriver to separate my heatsink & cpu for fear of the screwdriver slipping due to the force (however gentle it may be) of the pressure being applied... and damaging either the heatsink, cpu, or both! 8O :cry:
"Who's doing what now?"
rogue_tomato
Initiate
Initiate

Postby werty316 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:44 pm

One good way to get sticky CPU that is stuck is to twist the cooler if you can.
Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris kills people!
werty316
Initiate
Initiate

Return to MBHW Q&A