Can you tell me what takes a 2-pin fan?

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Can you tell me what takes a 2-pin fan?

Postby mitsubishi » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:56 am

This maybe a really dumb question, but all my boards have 3-pin fan connectors.

I just went to the shop for a northbridge cooler, but the only one they had had the 2-pin connector. He hasn't a clue at the shop.

Sorry seem to have misunderstood this new forum :oops:
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ~PJ~ » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:48 am

Some motherboards have two pin fans for the Northbridge. They can also be used for video cards.
If you compare your exisiting three pin fan with the two pin one - does your have three wires or two? If two, it means one of the pins on the board is not used. Using an ordinary sewing pin you can release the tabs that hold the wires into the plug and swap them over.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby mitsubishi » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:03 am

OK thanks, so they're not that rare then?
Yeah thought about just rigging it, might be less hassle than ordering one.

Yeah I see my GFX has a 2 pin one, of course the fan is much bigger though.
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:06 am

With all DC fans, only two wires are needed for the power source. Normally the wires are red and black, to denote positve and negative.. black being the negative for PC circuts. The third wire is a sensor wire from a "spin" sensor, commonly known as a Hall sensor.. a tiny coil of wire wrapped about a magnet core. It senses the RPMs of the fan motor, to report its speed to the Bios. For a 2-pin fan to be used on a 3-pin connector, the two pins on one side should be used.. not the two outside pins. Typically, the power connections are as illustrated. Almost all are 12 volt sources.
G + S
0 0 0
(tab)
The left terminal is the "ground" connection. The center terminal is the "positive" and the right terminal is the "sensor" connection. You do not want to apply power to the "sensor" terminal, or it would pop the chipset that reads the pulsed data.
The Bios would have a control line to ignore/monitor each or only a few power ports for fans, on the mobo. The CPU and Northbridge fan monitors are the important ones to monitor.

As noted, the terminal wire can be moved, by using a small but sturdy pin to press the tab that holds the terminal in place, or lifting the black tab on the connector body to release the terminal's tab.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mitsubishi » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:00 pm

Thanks Karlsweldt, I did consider getting the sink and jimmying it, but I have to send off for some stuff anyway now, so I might as well get one in my order.
mitsubishi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to MBHW Q&A