Running RAM dual channel vs Single

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Running RAM dual channel vs Single

Postby stogey » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:12 am

I have an idea of how opperationally it is different running dual channel over single, but what is the realized benefit of it. Is it something easily recognized while using system or does it simply make something work better behind the scenes?

At the heart of the situation for me is that I am using my rig more and more for video editing and movie making, and need to upgrade my RAM. I have an ASUS P4P800 board w 2 sticks of 512 Corsair RAM. This board has 4 slots that can be run single or dual channel. My origanl intention was to simply add 2 more sticks of the same thing. However, according to ASUS's recommendations I can not use this particular memory in dual channel using all 4 slots. Should I care, or should I simply add the 2 sticks, run it single channel, and stop obsessing?
stogey

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:56 pm

Dual-channel setups do not provide more memory, but increase the bandwidth channels to address the memory. This can give up to 20% better overall response. Normally, about 5% to 10% is noted.
The modules must be exactly matched, for this setup. You do not have to pay premium price for "matched" pairs, just buy two identical brand models with the same timings. You can, if the mobo permits, use the dual-channel setup with more than just two modules. The memory must be "stacked" in equal sizes.. you can use 4x256 modules, 4x512 modules, or mix a pair of 2x256 and 2x512. Each DIMM slot is numbered an paired with another.. one of the colored slots will be paired to the normal colored slot on its side of the array. Here's a page from Intel on how to configure memory.. Reference:

Not all mobo manufacturers adhere to the Intel intent, but it may be similar.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A