Back up your data!

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Back up your data!

Postby redeye53 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:13 pm

Today:
Oh NO!
I just went to upgrade my xyz tax software for the 2006 season and it won't load on my machine!
celeron 1100
128mb ram
win98
Not even a cd burner and 5 years of buisness data on this clanking harddrive that thankfully is hanging in there.
redeye53
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajrox » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:00 am

man....thats a rough one.
if its networked into a work group i would transfer through a mapped drive to a more stable machine, every day before i went home.
if it is the only PC, i would use a tape back up unit. i use REV drives by Iomega at my shop. 30gb native / 90gb compressed. with easy windows explorer browsing, you can look right into the tape drive and see whats in there. USB or firewire connectivity will make it easy to transfer to a new PC and after the initial set up it would be fire-and-forget.
an external hard drive would also work.
i think the best thing would be to replace the PC with something a little more stable and use an external hard drive to migrate data. then have windows XP pro {its a business machine} set up a "FULL" back up schedule every day and send it to the external hard drive. take the external hard drive home with you for added redundancy.
good luck
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:09 am

Some of those programs will update just so far.. then you have to purchase a new version, and it may not be backward-compatible!
A daily backup of sensitive data is a must. For the average person, a once-weekly backup is sufficient. It takes only a few minutes, and can save many hours of frustration.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A