WindowsXP wont recognise my SATA HDD

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

WindowsXP wont recognise my SATA HDD

Postby EmilyB » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:32 pm

I know the HDD is working without fault because the manufacturers tools can see it and format it fine. But I cannot install WindowsXP onto it. During the installation of WindowsXP, it tells me there are no storage devices detected.
EmilyB

Postby ~PJ~ » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:42 pm

Restart the Windows installation, and whilst it's loading the setup files, press F6 when prompted to use the disk that came with your SATA drive to load the drivers.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby scottla » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:48 pm

~PJ~ wrote:Restart the Windows installation, and whilst it's loading the setup files, press F6 when prompted to use the disk that came with your SATA drive to load the drivers.

Indeed. In particular, look for the prompt in text at the very bottom of the screen. It's tough to notice otherwise if it's your first time doing it.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:54 pm

to get SATA as a single drive or IDE/SATA into a raid array, has a few simple steps. of course, taking into consideration that you have physically connected the drive to the PC. secured, connected and it powers up.
1) look in your motherboard manual and find the directions to create a raid driver floppy disk. some versions of XP dont need a driver when installing the os on an "IDE mode" SATA or single SATA drive install.
2) start the XP/win2k install by inserting the CD in to the CD/DVD drive. when the install gets to the first screen it will prompt you to "press F6 to install scsi controllers" start tapping the F6 key, a few times will do just to be sure you hit it at the right time.
3) you will then be prompted to insert the driver floppy to install install additional mass storage controllers. put in the floppy, arrow down to the driver needed and hit enter to continue.
4) create the partion when that screen comes up. pretty easy as the max size of the harddrive is listed by default. you could backspace and enter any size you want if you want more than one drive.
5) after you have created the partition, youll need to format it. windows setup will ask you what type of partition you want. choose "quick / NTFS" and click ok.
6) from here just read the gui portion of the install. pretty easy once you get there. if for some reason it didnt work, read below for some common fixes.

if you cant complete step 3 or 4:
you might be conneced to a different controller as some motherboards have more than one. look into the mother board manual for some schematics or pics.
you might have the wrong driver. double check with the motherboard manual to be sure. you might also need to identify the SATA or raid chipset you need to associated with the right driver.
allways check the motherboard manufacturers web site for info, latest drivers, fixes and forums specific to your SATA drive install.
good luck
AJ

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:01 pm

can one of the mods enable "editing" of our wown posts? 8)
thanks
AJ

Postby DAVE1 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:01 am

and disable guest postings
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:06 am

If the mobo's Bios can properly recognize the hdd size, then set the boot path in the Bios so that the CD or optical drive is the first choice, followed by the desired hard drive controller. There will be a choice of the IDE channel, or the SATA channel. It is not required to use the SATA drivers, if you are using only one drive, in a non-RAID setup. The Bios may have set the RAID configuration by default. If there is an "auto" setting for the SATA controllers, use that designation. Only if you are using two identical drives in a RAID setup, do you need specific drivers. All you really need is the optical drive, and the SATA hdd. If using the two SATA controllers and not the IDE controller, ensure the hdd is on the #1 SATA controller. If there are no files on the hdd, then the boot path will select alternate sources to boot from. If there are old files on the hdd, then they may become dominant in the boot order, and cause errors.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby EmilyB » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:33 am

DAVE185 wrote:and disable guest postings

I ran the WindowsXP installation. Although I did see the F6 prompt. I could not see any guest postings :? On what screen of the installation does this appear?
EmilyB

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:35 am

EmilyB wrote:

I ran the WindowsXP installation. Although I did see the F6 prompt. I could not see any guest postings :? On what screen of the installation does this appear?

posting 4 and 5 of this very thread, dear. look up...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby EmilyB » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:43 am

evasive wrote:
EmilyB wrote:

posting 4 and 5 of this very thread, dear. look up...

Ok I think my point was overlooked :P

I was just addressing a seemingly disjointed post, which a noob may take as an instruction of the process. There was no quoting or referencing of anything, just a confusing statement. Surely it would be better to either put it in the Forums Problems forum or PM OllE?
EmilyB

Next

Return to MBHW Q&A