Step by Step Guide to reinstallation

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Step by Step Guide to reinstallation

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:17 am

Before You Begin:
1) Back up any documents or files that you would like to keep including email, music, internet favorites, etc.

2.)Get a copy of XP

4) Ensure you have your drivers - original CDs, download from internet
[If someone knows a way to actually copy them to a CD from an existing installation please tell me and I'll add it

--------------------------
Reformatting and Installing XP
1) Insert the XP CD into the cd-rom and reboot

2) Press Del / F2 or whatever at POST to enter BIOS. Choose boot order and selet to boot from CD first then HDD

3) Welcome Setup Screen ---- press enter to setup Windows XP

4) License Agreement ---- read if you want (although nobody does). Scroll down to the bottom, and press f8 to accept.

5) Choose a partition --- If you are unsure about partitioning, select the largest partition. If you are reformatting, it's often a good idea to delete the partition and recreate it. Once you've made your selection, press enter.

6) Select NTFS or Fat32 ---- generally NTFS is mostly used, although either will work fine. If you would like a quick format, you will want to make choose one of the top 2 choices. Once you have made your decision, press enter

7) Format --- warning: this will delete all information on selected partition. Verify that you have selected the right partition. press Enter.

8] Setup and Reboot --- does not require any user action. Leave CD in the drive after reboot

9) XP Setup --- some questions will be asked (some of these might not apply depending on if you are installing Home or Pro edition)
a.) Regional & Language Options --- select language (default: English)
b.) Name --- enter your name (company: optional)
c.) Enter CD Key --- located on the case of your computer or on the CD jewel case
d.) Computer Name & Admin Password --- enter the name that you would like your computer to be known as. Enter an admin password (can be left blank but for security reasons this is not the best option). Make sure to write down or have some way of remembering your admin password.
e.) Date & Time Settings --- set the time & date to your local time
f.) Network Setup --- if you are on a home network, use this setup to configure your laptop to connect to your home network. Otherwise, skip and go to the next step
10) Setup Complete & reboot
After Installation
1.) Activate - follow on-screen instructions. Occasionally you will need to phone Micorsoft but all the details and phone numbers will appear for you.
2.) Install the drivers and AV software
3.) Run Windows Update and download/install current updates
4.) Install any additional software.

Extra Help:

If you reboot your pc and are asked to choose an XP system, choose the top one. This does not mean that you have two XP systems on your computer. An extra line was added to your boot.ini and needs to be removed (right click on my computer --> properties-->advanced-->startup and recovery section-->settings-->edit-->delete the line that starts with multi--> save file and exit )

Partitions
A partition divides the hard drive into sections which can be use to store documents, movies, or anything you would like (often called spare partition). In the event that you need to reformat windows again, you can select to format only the windows partition, and not the spare. This will allow you to save all of your documents that are located on the spare partition without having to back them up and restore them.

To delete a partition:
1.) select the partition that you would like to delete and press D
2.) press L to confirm
3.) once it has been deleted it will be listed as unpartition space
4.) repeat for any additional partitions that you would like to delete
***any partition that is deleted is automatically labeled as unpartition space.

To create a partition
1.) select the unpartition space and press C
2.) Enter the size (in MB) that you would like the partition to be and press enter (if you want maximum size, press enter) (Example 30,000mb is 30gb)
3.) repeat if you want to create additional partitions,
Drivers
Before you reformat your pc, you need to get a copy of the drivers or at least the essential drivers.

Once you have installed all of the drivers, verify that all of the hardware devices have drivers (right click on my computer-->properties-->hardware tab-->device manager). Any devices with yellow questionmarks are devices that are missing drivers

Hope this is all fairly straightforward. I will edit as requested - if it's not what this forum is for mods feel free to remove!

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:35 am

Stepping into newbie shoes...

What do I do, if I have changed my motherboard without reinstalling WindowsXP thus I am trying to reuse the existing HDD "as was" before changing the motherboard, and all I get are BSODs and it wont even login :cry: I cannot backup my data because WindowsXP wont run, so what can I do? I have a life-time of files on the HDD which I cannot afford to lose :cry:
EmilyB

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:39 am

EmilyB wrote:Stepping into newbie shoes...

What do I do, if I have changed my motherboard without reinstalling WindowsXP thus I am trying to reuse the existing HDD "as was" before changing the motherboard, and all I get are BSODs and it wont even login :cry: I cannot backup my data because WindowsXP wont run, so what can I do? I have a life-time of files on the HDD which I cannot afford to lose :cry:

Turn off your computer and unplug it.
Remove the HDD for the computer, set as 'slave' using the jumpers on the back [if you can't find how to do this, post on Tech Support with the make and model of your HDD and we'll help you]
Find another computer, turn it off, add your hdd as the slave and boot. Once it's finished finding the drive [may well need a reboot] it should be recognised as Drive D - you can fish your data out.

NB.

BEST TO BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE MOTHERBOARD!

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks. A followup question. Are lists, such as Bookmarks in Firefox a savable file somewhere on my hard drive? I'd hate to lose all those fine sites I've found.

Postby EmilyB » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:05 am

Anonymous wrote:Thanks. A followup question. Are lists, such as Bookmarks in Firefox a savable file somewhere on my hard drive? I'd hate to lose all those fine sites I've found.

You can Export your Bookmarks now to a Bookmark.htm file, then when something unfortunate happens and they go missing, you can Import them back in from the Bookmark.htm file.
EmilyB

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:46 pm

You can find you Favorites in My Computer / Documents and Settings / [Your user name]. Save the entire folder, then just copy and paste it back when you've finished your installation.

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:50 pm

~PJ~ wrote:You can find you Favorites in My Computer / Documents and Settings / [Your user name]. Save the entire folder, then just copy and paste it back when you've finished your installation.

I know that works for IE but is it the same for FF? My reason for asking is, I installed FF 1.0 ages ago got fed up and uninstalled it. Time passed by and my "Favourites" changed i.e. some old ones removed and some new ones added etc. I recently installed FF 1.5 and it somehow ressurrected the old bookmarks from FF 1.0, it didnt ask me if I wanted to import from IE as it should have done. So Im wondering if FF keeps its own list of bookmarks in a separate place, or did my whole configuration go nuts? :?
EmilyB

Little off topic, might need it's own thread

Postby LowGlide » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:48 pm

I am reinstalling my OS in a new setup. (2) SATA II's 320GB (RAID 1) and (2) SATA I 250GB (Maybe RAID 0 or 1). I want to run both XP Pro and Vista. How do you recommend I partition my HD's? I also have a 160 GB ATA's that used as a backup. I have a lot of data files, no games to mention but lots of documents, pictures, and video.

TIA
LowG
LowGlide
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:23 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
This question may be better answered in the "Tech Help" sector.
It depends on the type of RAID array you wish to use. Be it a striped, redundant or whatever. If all drives are similar, and installed prior to the OS install, then there may be an automatic RAID configuration dependent upon the number of drives. The partitoning should be done identically on all drives. The older OS should be installed first, and completed with all required updates/patches. Then the newer OS will be installed in the same manner as the resident OS, so you have a boot choice as to which platform to use. Same rules as when installing Windows 98/ME with Windows 2000 or XP as dual-platform setups.
Ideally, both OS versions should reside on the root or "C" drive. Your IDE drive can be accessed easily, and also have its own OS installed if needed. Set the boot preference in the BIOS pages so the desired bootable hdd is listed as # 1 and so forth.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A