how do i put on that CPU goop??

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

how do i put on that CPU goop??

Postby ajrox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:15 am

1}place the CPU in the motherboard.
2}wrap a plastic sandwich baggy around your finger.
3}add a small dot on the tip of the wrapped finger.
4}apply to the CPU directly. be sure it is covered completely. it should be a very thin layer. paper thin or a little thinner is where you want it to be.
5}be very carefull with this stuff. it will conduct electricity. it will kill your componants if you turn on the PC with it everywhere.
6}pull the bag back over your finger, capturing any of the left over goop.

some things to look out for
1}when i put the CPU heatsink on, it squished out like a sloppy peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
AHHHHHHH! wayyyy to much. remove the heatsink and clean it off with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. look around the CPU socket on the mobo to be sure some didnt goop on the mobo itself. now re-apply as stated above.
2}wash your hands with dishsoap before adding any other componants. on some componants, like expansion cards and memory, you will be touching the electronics directly. this heatsink grease will multiply and will be everywhere if your not extremely carefull. once again, the heatsink grease does conduct electricity and WILL short out your kick azz dual channel DDR 9700 w/ 2-2-2-4 timings you just spent a gazillion dollars on, if you dont wash your hands.

back in the day, i roasted a celleron 300a. it died of extreme PB&J syndrome. no one told me how to put that stuff on. so i applied it liberally. i just aquirted the goop directly on to the CPU. more is better right? WRONG!! i also found out that a CPU will spark and smoke under the right conditions.
goog luck
AJ
PS...props to evasive on the sandwich baggy technique {your mobo foo is strong}. i used to use a plastic shopping bag, pulled tight. then ripped off the excess bag. before that i used my finger, but everyone "booed" me :(
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby EmilyB » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:27 am

Whats PB&J syndrome? :?
EmilyB

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:52 am

EmilyB wrote:Whats PB&J syndrome? :?

"when i put the CPU heatsink on, it squished out like a sloppy peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:13 am

~PJ~ wrote:
EmilyB wrote:Whats PB&J syndrome? :?

"when i put the CPU heatsink on, it squished out like a sloppy peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "

Sorry :oops:
EmilyB

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:59 pm

Also add:

When using arctic silver thermal paste and a CPU with a heatspreader (such as a Pentium 4 or AMD 64), a small drop of paste should be placed in the center of the CPU. Use a drop of paste about the size of a BB for the AMD 64 CPU, and a little smaller drop for a Pentium 4. Now, the baggie method explained above SHOULD NOT be used in this instance. Just place the heatsink ontop of the CPU and the paste will evenly spread about by pressure.

Note: This method is for CPUs with heatspreaders only.
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Official instruction, will apply to practically any brand of thermal paste.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... ctions.htm
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Robyn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:50 pm

If you're super sloppy, the ceramique is non-conductive.

a little Less is better than too much.

Be sure to check your temps in the bios on the next boot.

Get the highest % isopropyl you can find.
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:16 am

Those food-handling gloves can be substituted for a baggie.. just cut off a "finger" from the glove, to use when spreading the paste! Even a latex glove for garden work will do fine. Just don't get it (the paste) on sensitive plastic surfaces, or there will be discoloration.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby redeye53 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:58 pm

I cut an old credit card down and made a "spatula". Put my gob of goo on the hsf and "cut" it from there to spread on the die.
redeye53
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to MBHW Q&A