Setting up a raid system

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Setting up a raid system

Postby OrgChem » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:46 pm

I am putting an i7 system together and would like to set up a raid 0 for my OS and programs and a raid 1 for my data storage. I plan to use the Vista 64 bit OS and four SATA drives (2 velociraptors for OS/programs and 2 WD 1TB caviar for data). However I've not done this before. Is this relatively independent of the MB? What are the key steps in the process? A link to an online tutorial would be great. Many thanks.
OrgChem
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Your question would be better served if in the "Operating Systems" category.
A Mod may see fit to move this post, but please don't double-post.

Setting up any type of RAID configuration on any computer is standard. But ensure the RAID controller driver is compatible to the OS platform being installed. Many older 32-bit drivers don't work with 64-bit OS types.
First copy the RAID controller driver file from the mobo driver disk to a floppy disk. Then begin to install the OS. Follow the prompts when asked if any third-party drivers will be needed during the install. The "F6" key is usually the flag.
During the install, present the disk when prompted. The OS install should easily set up the drives in the configuration you desire.
If you want to review RAID configurations, check this link.. www.bytepile.com/raid_class.php
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 am

I'm still trying to find out how controller-dependent SATA raid0/1/5 is these days, I fear there's no real standard for that yet.

You need to setup the raid arrays in the bios of the sata/array controller BEFORE you start installing the OS.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OrgChem » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks Karlsweldt. I don't think I asked my question very well. Basically I know how to set up a single raid array. I was wondering on the steps to set up two raid arrays on the motherboard. Does one just repeat the same process after installing the OS or can you set up both arrays before installing the OS? Will the OS see the second array if set up sequentially?
OrgChem
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:49 pm

Setting up independent and different RAID arrays would make for complicated "housekeeping" by the OS. Might be better to go with a single RAID 10 setup, with multiple large-capacity disks. It would be more fault-tolerant, and may reduce the current needs of separate arrays. Partitions can separate different data storage needs.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 am

OrgChem wrote:Thanks Karlsweldt. I don't think I asked my question very well. Basically I know how to set up a single raid array. I was wondering on the steps to set up two raid arrays on the motherboard. Does one just repeat the same process after installing the OS or can you set up both arrays before installing the OS? Will the OS see the second array if set up sequentially?

what part isn't clear?
You need to setup the raid arrays in the bios of the sata/array controller BEFORE you start installing the OS.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A