DC Jack Repair and Motherboards

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DC Jack Repair and Motherboards

Postby Hogwild » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:04 pm

I recently sent my laptop in to have the DC jack repaired because it was loose enough for the power to come and go. The computer powered up fine up until the time I sent it. The company replaced the jack and then contacted me saying the motherboard was bad. Is it possible for the motherboard to go bad after I sent it? My gut tells me they may have damaged it changing out the DC jack. It just doesn't make sense that the mother board would fry before I sent it when it was fine before I packaged it. I just need some professional insight on this.

Thanks
Hogwild
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Your query may be better answered in the 'General' sector. A Mod may see fit to move it, but please don't double-post.

The power socket, like many other components, gets soldered to traces on the motherboard. If the socket becomes loose, it can cause the traces to break where the solder joint is, by the socket. The repair centers don't warranty any patches on those breaks. The only way to warranty their work is to replace the motherboard. Sad but true. Have seen many instances where a trace broke. With patience, it can be bridged. But if the loose socket caused a crack in the board, there is no hope. Poor design for putting too much play in the socket holder.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hogwild » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:12 pm

How can you tell if it is repairable without having to replace the board? And if I have to replace the board, isn't it probably cheaper to just trash it and by another machine?
Hogwild
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:26 pm

The main circuit board or motherboard in laptops is thinner than what is found with standard motherboards. And you don't have traces just on the top and bottom. There may be up to five layers of traces! Depending on where a possible break is, only the surface traces might be repaired.. but what about the underlying ones?
Yes, it may be more cost effective to just replace the entire unit at times. But if you are patient, you might be able to replace the board yourself, using all older components.. and save a large bit of cash. Depending on the model of the unit, there should be spare boards available.. such as on eBay, and may be marked as NOS or 'new old stock'. Possible with a warranty?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to MBHW Q&A